Tire time.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

The 2018 needs new shoes. The Hankooks were quiet and smooth but at 40k are down to 3/32. I guess for OEM you can’t (sadly) expect more than that. Although the continentals that came on my 09 Altima lasted forever. I’ve got it narrowed down price wise between Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus 2 or Michelin Primacy all season. I’ve never owned Pirelli or can’t say that I’ve ridden in a car that had them on. I’ve found that with Michelin you usually always get consistency and smoothness and every set I’ve had have balanced out perfect. The tire guy is trying to persuade me into Pirelli, maybe they make more off the set. He claims the Michelin is old technology while the Pirellis are a true SUV tire. Does anyone have any personal feedback on either set? I’ve owned Defenders and the Costco only Michelin, but never Primacy. Warranty wise which I’ve learned over the years, doesn’t mean squat = 55k for Michelin and 65k for Pirelli, so not enough to matter one way or the other.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

D1dad wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:41 am
The 2018 needs new shoes. The Hankooks were quiet and smooth but at 40k are down to 3/32. I guess for OEM you can’t (sadly) expect more than that. Although the continentals that came on my 09 Altima lasted forever. I’ve got it narrowed down price wise between Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus 2 or Michelin Primacy all season. I’ve never owned Pirelli or can’t say that I’ve ridden in a car that had them on. I’ve found that with Michelin you usually always get consistency and smoothness and every set I’ve had have balanced out perfect. The tire guy is trying to persuade me into Pirelli, maybe they make more off the set. He claims the Michelin is old technology while the Pirellis are a true SUV tire. Does anyone have any personal feedback on either set? I’ve owned Defenders and the Costco only Michelin, but never Primacy. Warranty wise which I’ve learned over the years, doesn’t mean squat = 55k for Michelin and 65k for Pirelli, so not enough to matter one way or the other.
My current daily had Continentals as OEM, replacements were Yokohamas, and those Yokohamas were then replaced by Goodyear. The 16 Rogue had Dunlops for the 109k miles it was alive. With that said, my tire guy pushed me away from Pirelli. Same did my Honda dealer and Costco, and all 3 said get Michelins. If I were you, I'd get the Michelins or Bridgestone. Both of the tires you listed were on my list of tire choices, but both weren't up in the top choices for me. Since you had positive experience with Michelin, stick with them.

PeterH_605
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

Our 2014 Rogue had the Dunlops which were really good and made it to 80k miles. Switched to the Bridgestone ecopia plus which are doing well. Can't tell a difference myself and these were a great deal at costco.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I went with the Michelins. I ended up getting them for slightly less than the Pirellis at Sam’s club. Under $500 out the door with the 5yr road hazard included. I was a little Leary of the installers beating the bejesus out of my rims but they really did a great job and the tires are balanced perfectly. Huge improvement over the hankooks from road noise to the wheel turning easier. Minus the fact that they inflated them to 49lbs I’m pretty satisfied. Fuel mileage is yet to be determined, but I’ve never took a fuel hit with any Michelin and don’t expect to with these. They may ride a tad, and I mean a tad harsher but the car feels more connected to the road.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Holy crap, minus 1 pound from maximum pressure I presume. Who works there? Beevis? :blush:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Actually the psi is 33 cold. So by the time I made it back home, 40 miles away, my psi was close to 60. To much air and the car rides like a farm wagon and the tires wear from the middle out. To little and they wear at the edges.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

Im surprised the pressure would go from 33psi to 60psi from driving just 40 miles, or rather that your tires just hadn't exploded from overpressure. Wouldn't it have realistically gone up just around 3-5psi though?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

KoiMaxx wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:32 am
Im surprised the pressure would go from 33psi to 60psi from driving just 40 miles, or rather that your tires just hadn't exploded from overpressure. Wouldn't it have realistically gone up just around 3-5psi though?
D1dad actually said they went from 49 to near 60, that the sticker pressure was 33. If they were already overinflated that badly then the PTV Laws say the gas in the tire will already be warmer than normal. I'd imagine it could start a reinforcing feedback cycle where the gas heats the tire and the hotter tire heats the gas, increasing the pressure and heating the tire etc etc etc. I think an 8~10 psi movement after a long drive sounds entirely plausible.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Yeah Sam’s inflated them to 49 and door sticker say 33. I’m 45 miles away from Sam’s so by the time I got home the tpms was showing I believe 58 with one being 59. It was actually warm that day by Midwest spring standards. My 21 is set at 33 and they come up 3-4 lbs by the time I hit town which is 3.5 miles away. Setting tire temp that high seems to be a normal occurrence. My new Altima says 33 and the dealer inflated them to 50 when I picked it up.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I read or heard that a typical tire can go to 100 psi and are pretty hardy. It’s within their normal tolerance levels for safety reason. Just don’t keep it at that pressure obviously.

I’m not saying to take it to that level, but if tires were not that robust, tires would be blowing up if they did indeed went to 60psi.

Moreover, I believe when all those Firestone tires were splitting, exploding, or whatever the issue, it was due to under inflation. :ohno:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:32 pm
I read or heard that a typical tire can go to 100 psi and are pretty hardy. It’s within their normal tolerance levels for safety reason. Just don’t keep it at that pressure obviously.

I’m not saying to take it to that level, but if tires were not that robust, tires would be blowing up if they did indeed went to 60psi.

Moreover, I believe when all those Firestone tires were splitting, exploding, or whatever the issue, it was due to under inflation. :ohno:
Can and should are two different things. Even at 60 psi, you don't want your chin to be in the way if a weak sidewall lets go (and yes, that's the voice of rude experience gained while trying to seat new rubber on a stubborn rim). The cold rating printed on the sidewall will exceed a bit when warm and still be safe, but you go past that at your own risk.

Just an aside, underinflated tires get hot for a different (and completely unrelated) reason, mechanical flexion. They squirm and bow constantly while underway, and that heats them up for the same reason as a paperclip or coathanger flexed over and over and over until it breaks.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

IMHO, going above the door sticker recommended psi is fine as long as you are still below the sidewall cold max psi. The tires we have on our Rogue are stamped with 51 max cold psi. We run them at 36. 33 psi felt a bit vague and 40 felt a bit too harsh.

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:53 pm
Just an aside, underinflated tires get hot for a different (and completely unrelated) reason, mechanical flexion. They squirm and bow constantly while underway, and that heats them up for the same reason as a paperclip or coathanger flexed over and over and over until it breaks.
+1 ^^^ This.
Every motorcycle tire mfg recommends maintaining their tires at the MAX cold PSI on the tire sidewall at all times. This is especially true in southern states where the asphalt temps in the summers can get approx 60 degrees warmer than the air temps.
Tire temperature is more important on motorcycle tires compared to auto tires due to the tire carcass flex having a direct impact on handling and braking. With passenger cars and trucks, variances in tire pressure has a larger impact on comfort rather than performance.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Lone Wolff wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:09 pm
Every motorcycle tire mfg recommends maintaining their tires at the MAX cold PSI on the tire sidewall at all times. This is especially true in southern states where the asphalt temps in the summers can get approx 60 degrees warmer than the air temps.
Tire temperature is more important on motorcycle tires compared to auto tires due to the tire carcass flex having a direct impact on handling and braking. With passenger cars and trucks, variances in tire pressure has a larger impact on comfort rather than performance.
+1 ^^^ This too! I bike also, Kawi Vulcan. Couldn't have said it better.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

Oh wow, i didn't realize they could potentially hit those levels. I was already concerned enough when i see the tire pressures at max cold when i used to go to the dealer.

Return to “Rogue Forum”