Tire rubbing issues.

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
mike@jtuned
Car: 02 Xterra SE/SC

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums. I recently got 18in wheels for my Xterra, and to keep my speedo from reading incorrectly I opted for tires that were just about the right aspect but they ended up being a bit too wide (285/60/18 - Factory = 265/65/17) . Now wheel to wheel lock turns are almost an impossiblity without severe rubbing.

I pulled the splash guards off the frontside and trimmed the bumper and rear section of the fender but to no avail. I was considering doing a body lift before I got the wheels and was wondering if a 2in BL would help? I'm still not sure if i'd want to do this yet and was looking for other alternatives. Perhaps trim the rear section of the fender some more? Has anyone here done this that could shed some light?

Thanks

Mike

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

You'll need to determine where exactly it is rubbing. This will help to determine if a lift might help or not as well.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

Yes. For us to help you we really do need to know where the tire is rubbing.

There are fiberglass fenders you can buY OR you can purchase a narrow profile replacement mud skirt for the front fenders that you csan buy as well that might give you more clearance than radical cutting. There are also the body lifts you mentioned and a few different suspension packages available.

Do you know where you're going to be purchasing your lift kit if you decide this is the route you need to go?

Let me know and I will email you the links to several places that have all these items for sale.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”