Tire chains on Rogue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jusjin1
Car: nissan rogue

Just bought a newly loaded AWD Gotham Grey Rogue and we love it. Getting ready for ski season and was looking in the manual about tire chains and the manual said only nissan approved chains on the front wheels are to be used. Anyone have any further knowledge or experience with this?

Allbluesman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Nissan would also like you to believe that everything you do should be Nissan approved. As with much else not the case. http://www.qualitychaincorp.com You'll be able to find you application there. With the 225/60R17 on SL models it'll be a 1042 or A1042. I suggest the A1042 it is going to be stronger last longer and comes with the rubber adjuster in it as well. You'll find that in California Caltrans rates different snow conditions and just having AWD and snow tires isn't always enough, if you don't have chains or cable chains in your possesion you may not be able to pass. This is probably the same in most states. And the above mentioned are both cable chains. Hope this is helpful.

natey1
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I too was wondering about chains for the Rogue, I tried a pair on my SL (225/60R17) that said they would fit the S tires (215/70R16) that were the "Z" style cable chains and they looked like the fit but the caught on something under the suspension of the car and made a horrible noise (aka didn't use them). I then went to my local tire place (Les Schwab Tires) and asked them about an accurate chain fit for my tires (as many chain manufacturers don't list 225/60R17 on their chains it seems) and they told me their 1553-s chains would work. (I ended up buying a pair second hand on craigslist.com for $20 rather than the $70 they charge for new) The Les Schwab chains fit great on pavement so far. I haven't taken them up in the snow yet, but I will tommorow. They were very easy to put on and look like they'll work great.

BrianV
Car: 07 G35S 6MT, 02 MDX-T AWD

Why not throw them on all four for ultimate traction?

I've always had AWD cars and have never carried or used chains.

I've done most of my driving in California and have done some pretty wicked forging through Donner Pass without chains. I've never seen them restrict it to anything more than chains OR AWD+Snow Tires. I've seen them close roads down, but never use anything more severe than AWD.

Colorado only requires chains on single axle big rigs. I've seen some pretty hairy stuff with 2wd cars spinning around the highway; no chain requirement still.

Return to “Rogue Forum”