Tire and rim theft

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
bigscott

I have been hearing around latley about our G's Tire and rims have gone missing.
Someone at my work has the coupe with the 19" tire and she woke up to find all her rims gone. I don't know if this happened to anyone of you yet but she said it cost's $6500 to replace them. Yes she had wheel locks on them They broke the passenger window to get the key from the glove box..Hope this hasent happened yet to anyone here.
Does anyone know just how to post a pic of your car I would like to do that...

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

bigscott wrote:I have been hearing around latley about our G's Tire and rims have gone missing.
Someone at my work has the coupe with the 19" tire and she woke up to find all her rims gone. I don't know if this happened to anyone of you yet but she said it cost's $6500 to replace them. Yes she had wheel locks on them They broke the passenger window to get the key from the glove box..Hope this hasent happened yet to anyone here.
Does anyone know just how to post a pic of your car I would like to do that...
That's sad...
No one that I know here has lost their wheels or tires on any of the "G"

to post pic here you have 2 ways to do it
1) USE the "Img" button
2) use photobucket.com or another similar site- e.g.

bigscott

thanks for the info but the pic i have of my g is to big for the site.
I'm really not to good with the comp.anyway

daman858
Car: 2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

I have two different wheel locks from Infiniti on my car, one set came installed and another set I found in the trunk...two separate keys. Since I don't have a spare tire anyway and the tires can't be rotated, I just keep the keys in my tool chest in the garage.

Last year, some thieves went to our local Chevy/Cadillac dealer and got 4 sets of tires and wheels off of Escalades on the lot, all in one night. Security cameras were unable to ID the guys or the white van they used.

cmesurf

bigscott wrote:thanks for the info but the pic i have of my g is to big for the site.
Sent you PM

cmesurf

bigscott wrote:thanks for the info but the pic i have of my g is to big for the site.
Here's bigscott's car pic :bigthumb:

bigscott

Thanks the pic looks great

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I work at the closest dealer to the Capitol on a street with several highend dealers. We see a few of these a month. We now keep a set of spare wheels around to help move cars around due to the unfortunate frequency wheel and tire theft occurs.

If nothing more the OPs story will show you that if they want it they will take it. I've seen wheels taken off cars with locks and without. There are sockets you can hammer onto wheels locks that will pull them off easier than with the key, they are available online for less than $10.

Most insurance policies cover wheel theft although a major inconvenience it is typically an easy fix. If they go digging through your car for locks they usually destroy everything in sight, nothing breaks my heart more than purposely cut leather seats. If you can keep them out of your car that would be the best case scenario...I mean other than getting your wheels stolen. Wheel locks are not a good deterrent, for the same investment a shock sensor for your OE alarm works much better.

We had one recently that the owner had their wheels stolen the third day of ownership, the parked at an open air seafood market in the city and almost immediately the wheels were removed...in broad day light during the week.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

wheel locks only slow them down...It may help to make them move to an easier target...but they don't prevent theft.

Goodgalz
Car: 2011 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Just curious. What is the opinion of folks on this forum? Keep the locks on the wheels to hopefully deter thieves/slow them down or leave them off so they don't tear up car?

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Cars without locks or with only one lock per wheel are the easiest targets. Those where each lug is a locking lug slows them down some. Most thieves want to do things in a hurry and know for every vehicle that has multiple locks there is 50+ without. Depends on how safe they feel when stealing the wheels and how much time they have.

Generally they get away with stuff like that as the Police are happy to just let the insurance company foot the bill and only make a note of the theft. IMO

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”