Tips on turbocharging a 78' 280z?

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
Twitch11290
Car: Midnight blue 1978 280z coupe

should I swap engines?forged pistons?head gaskets?pipes?!what is the best turbo for a 2.8l?can I get a shorter stroke crank for more revs?is it possible?how do you hook up a dual stage turbo controller?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Welcome to NICO!well now thats a lot of questions,

1. it's much easier to do the complete turbo swap from an 82-83 280ZX Turbo donor car

2. the stock cast pistons will get you to right about 400 whp before they melt and die a painful death

3. if you plan on turning up the boost a metal headgasket is a good idea, mine started seaping a bit around the 260whp mark

4. pipes? what pipes? you asking about exhaust? I run a home made 1 piece 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust with no muffler, yeah it's loud

5. best turbo well that depends on what kind of spool characteristic's you want, stay with name brands, the T3O4E 57 trim is a popular choice capable of pushing enough air to get you north of 400 whp

6. yeah you can run an L24 crank or even the L20A crank but you're loosing displacement and limiting you're potential for power, short stroke will reduce your rod angle and makes for broad flat power curves but more sisplacement makes more power every time

7. yup it's possible, see above

8. duel stage boost controller I have no experience with, I have a generic single stage, I'd say if you really want 2 stages an electronic boost controller is the only way to go but I'm not sure why you would want 2 stages of boost, all or nothing I say

*bonus answers to questions you didn't ask*you can put all the turbo goodies on you're stock motor but unless you know what your doing and are planning a complete custome swap i wouldn't suggest it,a nd if your asking then chances are you shouldn't

as for stroke, the LD28 (diesel maxima) crankshaft has a longer stroke and is the prefered crankshaft as it increases you're displacement, but it must be used with custom pistons, perferabley with longer 240Z rods to reduce the rod angle

headstuds are highly recomended at around 300whp as well as the headgasket

stock turbo fuel injectors, fuel pump, and electronic's all max out somewhere near 300whp

my recomendation is to find a complete donor, I hae bought 3 of these myself for $350 or there abouts each, if your donor has a bad motor you can put all the turbo parts on your motor but your cylinder head becomes a restriction, the basic swap will be a great deal more power than you have now, plug the pop off valve and turn the boost up to 9psi and have fun, anymore you'll need to add an intercooler, when you're ready for more power add an I/C and adjustable fuel pressure regulator, turn up the boost some more and have fun, you can run 250-260 whp before maxing out the injectors and thats a lot of fun in a car that is closer to 120 whp stock

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”