Tinging noise right at 3,000 RPM on 2011 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
unistang
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

All,

I am getting a noticeable metallic tinging noise coming from the vehicle right at 3,000 rpm (nowhere else). Normally I'd go right to a heat shield or something with the exhaust but it feels solid and nothing seems loose. Before I spend some time chasing this noise with the muffler shop, could this be my CVT or something with the engine (cam chain guides)? I know CVTs are noisy but this is new and it always sounded like something external. Car has 110k miles on it and wasn't sure if this is a common issue with these. Couldn't find anything repetitive in the search function.

Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's probably one of the tack-welded shields on the intermediate pipe. They tend to respond to engine harmonics and only make noise at certain RPM's and load. Pry gently on them and if anything lifts, there's a broken weld. Repair it by putting a stainless radiator band clamp around the pipe and shield where the weld is broken.

unistang
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

Thanks VStar650CL. I did check that shield because I noticed a TSB on it but all the welds appear to be in tact. I was able to reproduce the sound for the muffler shop crew so I'll let them have at it and hopefully this is nothing more than a old exhaust on a 10 year old car because if its the CVT its going bye bye. That trans has religiously had the oil changed every 25-30k to prevent any premature failure due to fluid.

Return to “Rogue Forum”