Timing??--sign of the timing belt wore/slipped??

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
vape-one
Car: 1990 300zx

Hi there fellas... I only have one simple ? My timing was like on 5 degrees an I adj. it to 15 degrees.. Now the CAS is adj. as far as it will go an im sure it can go farther without detonation...

Is this a sign of the timing belt wore/slipped???

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

vape-one wrote:Hi there fellas... I only have one simple ? My timing was like on 5 degrees an I adj. it to 15 degrees.. Now the CAS is adj. as far as it will go an im sure it can go farther without detonation...

Is this a sign of the timing belt wore/slipped???
How many miles on your timing belt and timing belt tensioner? It takes a good amount of force for the belt to jump teeth, it doesn't just happen.

15° is where you want to be anyway, advancing timing for the sake of power gains is dangerous and leaves little margin of error.

One simple check for your timing belt is to do a compression test. If all your cylinders are within spec and one bank isn't significantly lower than the other, there's a high probability your belt is on correctly.

Flip the inductive pick up on your timing light to be sure it's reading the signal correctly. It shouldn't change, but on some lights, it does.

vape-one
Car: 1990 300zx

135k... I just got new platinum plugs an I hope its gonna have better power!! Thanks pal

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”