Timing points with open cylinder heads.

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
carloslebaron
Car: 95 Nissan pickup XE

I have been working in my Hyundai vehicle. It had two bent valves and I had replaced them. After this task was completed, I found myself with the option to take the car to the mechanic...or perhaps not.

The job was in progress and I had so much fun replacing gaskets, valves seals, redoing the protection of wires installing new corrugated pipe where needed, removing the old and dried electric tape and wrapping back with a new one... I took care of all the pressure pounds for bolts, and now the next step is to set the timing.

I suddenly changed my mind about taking the car to a mechanic because I have an idea.

I used sticks of the same size to check the location of the pistons. I introduced them inside the spark plug hole. Here is the back side engine block pistons location

And here the front side engine block pistons location.

My idea is to open the front cylinder head as well, later to move the crankshaft to its mark by hand and have the cylinder #1 up.

After that, as I have the cams exposed, I can move them forward or backwards to set them to their timing marks.

The reason I will also remove the other cylinder head cover, is because I want to check that no valve will become bent by turning the cam and make it hit the piston. If I have to, I will loose the cam holders to turn the cam to its proper position.

When I bought the cylinder head gasket kit, it came with gaskets and sealers for a complete project, so I do have available sealers for the cams, sealer for the cylinder heads, etc.

Am I doing it right? Again, I will move crankshaft and camshafts by hand -these last ones forward and backwards when needed, and use the tool for hold them in place and install the timing belt. After that, install the cylinder head covers and so forth.

Please, let me know if I am not in the right track. So far, I want to prevent bending valves while setting the timing. I really want to finish what I have started, and I might make a video of the process, but I need some encourage or some advice.

Thanks in advance.

carloslebaron
Car: 95 Nissan pickup XE

It DOES work. I almost finish the timing belt setting, but still fighting with the belt because every time I use the tension, the cams move one tooth away.

Well, patience...patience... my guess is that I am messing with this vehicle that much that at the end this car won't start, it will have leaks everywhere, I will use a slash hammer to do some body work to it, and next week I will be at a dealer buying another car...sight*

Return to “Others”