Timing jumped

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
KB Services

The timing on my 1991 V6 is lost. I reset the crank at TDC going to pull the intake and valve covers to loosen the rockers and rest the cams. What else might I want to know next.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

You need to aware of somthing on the VG30 ( Your 3.0 Liter V6 ). It is an interference fit engine. That means if a valve opens while a piston is at the Top Dead Center (TDC) position the valve will hit the piston and bend. You may experience this contact when turning it over by hand. If you do You will need to rotate the crank a little just so you can get the valves to open and close and get the valve train back to the correct position. Shouldn't be an issue if the timing is out only a few teeth on the belt.

If it was me I would want to find out why it jumped. Are the chain guides in good condition? Is the timing belt missing teeth? When was the timing belt last changed? They are only good for 160, 000 KM or 96000 miles.

You should also pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor lines up with the number 1 position when you are resetting the timing belt position.

KB Services

I made the mistake of not setting it at TDC when I went to change the water pump and it jumped time when I took the belt off. So I had to start from scratch set the cams via marks on the gear and cover belt marks and rolling it #1 to TDC. Put the belt and everything back together and tighten it up and rolled it over with no binding.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”