Timing chain issues

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
heliboy2049

I read a lot on here about timing chain guides breaking and timing chain problems. I know on some cars, if the chain breaks, a lot of parts in the engine could start hitting each other. I know ford made one of their cars so if the chain or belt broke, it wouldn't cause any damage to the engine.

So, with the 240sx, what happens if the chain breaks???

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Well... the car now has no timing and the cams stop moving... when the cams stop moving the valves are stuck open... although the cams have stopped moving the pistons and rods have had a free for all smashing the valves and detonating what was left of the cars mixtures. Its not pretty and will destroy your engine... make sure your chain is in good order.

av8mech240sx
Car: Flyin', Fixin' and Drivin'

broken timing chain = fast horribly painful death

Drift Machine
Car: 1991 KA-T 240sx

when i bought my 240(800 bucks) it didn't run, but it didn't take long to figure out why. One of the timing chain tensioners had broken lose, stopped the chain from moving which ripped the chain guide off of the exhuast cam, and while all this was happening the camshaft some how managed to break off a chunk of the head. So yeah, if something goes wrong with your timing chain, it could really screw up your engine horribly.

Daunttless

I've seen pictures of the pieces that pistons are in after they have slammed into valves at 7000+ RPMs. I would like to see one in person, I think it would be awesome, but at the same time, it ranks up there with my fascination for rolling a car. : ) I'd like to do it, but I probably never will.

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Its odd, but I like seeing broken engines too, especially when there is a fist sized hole in a Honda engine, hahaha. Like you said, not something I'd like to do myself though.

fst240sx
Car: cars

i had heard of a rod going through a block and a vlave going into a cylinder wall. i also heard of a piston going sideways as well.

O0ooAJoo0O
Car: computers and cars

guess i was lucky when my timing chain fell off the gears. no damage at all, just a week without a car. but of course, i wasnt driving when it happened, i just tried starting it and oooops it slipped off. :)

jotchy
Car: Red 91 240 HB (daily driver, basic mods), Black 91 240 HB (needing SR transplant)

I just installed a new Upper and lower timming chains last week.I ordered a Nissan timming chain kit from Courtesy Nissan.I had a few problems with the install and when talking to a Nissan Mechanic he said to leave the guides upper and lower off, they just make noise. As long as the timming marks are right and the tensioner is in place you are fine. The way the engine turns makes the chain on the guide side so tight that you don't need the guides," less parts to break off." I think it is good to change the timming chains at 100,000 miles because they stretch and then chould break if they are weak. I also went with all Nissan parts because they lasted 120,000 miles and so they must be good parts. If anyone wants any help on this install I can help.It's not easy but it feels good to have a fresh chain and new seals under the hood.

hurddawg
Car: anything with 4 wheels.

Daunttless wrote:I've seen pictures of the pieces that pistons are in after they have slammed into valves at 7000+ RPMs. I would like to see one in person, I think it would be awesome, but at the same time, it ranks up there with my fascination for rolling a car. : ) I'd like to do it, but I probably never will.
the local machine shop has about 5 or 6 pistons with valves embedded in them. its a gruesome sight!! The most peculiar one was where the valve bent sideways then broke off the valve stem. it was stuck in the piston sideways and unmoveable...

johnsharpe
Car: Car, Motorcycles, technology

The best one I saw was when I was pit crew for my friends 91 SCCA Camaro...a stock class Miata (racing with him) broke something in the engine (I think a main bearing cap) and forced part of the crankshaft out the side of the motor, along with 4L of oil and a few other metallic bits. When they removed the motor from the car, there was a 5" dia hole in the side of the block.... :shocked Needless to say, their racing was done...John

KwayKer
Car: My car, video games, sports

jotchy.....how long did this upper n lower chain replacement take? also, did you replace tensioners, or just the chains?

Thanks!Matt

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”