timing chain guide

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
fabiandawg
Car: drums, car, bishez

hey guys. my car is at the point where the timing chain guide needs to be removed. just wanted to know whats involved and how much of a b**** it is.

:chainsaw

fabiandawg
Car: drums, car, bishez

oh by the way its a 93 se.

s14=pimpin'

dude, the reason why a timing chain is put into a car is because they are supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle. Nissan will NEVER tell you that cause they need the business, but if its really that bad, then change it. I have no idea how to do it, but from what I've heard, you're better off doing it at a shop because its one big headache. Unless you're a mechanic, or have access to proper tools.

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

I think he's refering to the timing chain guide.. not the cahin itself. I would like to know as well... mine has over 85k on it now.. and I've heard they start to rattle and what not... at around 100k.

johnsharpe
Car: Car, Motorcycles, technology

maineimport wrote:mine has over 85k on it now.. and I've heard they start to rattle and what not... at around 100k.
I've got 173000km (~104000mi) and mine is starting to rattle. My mechanic said that whenever I'm ready, just rip that sucker outta there. Once rattling, it serves no purpose.

YMMVJohn

s14=pimpin'

put your ear right at the front of the engine, between the fan and the valve cover (DOHC). If you hear the rattle coming from the top of the valve cover, then its the stupid chain!

Remove the valve cover, and you will see the guide sitting right above the timing chain. I believe its 2 or 3 bolts that holds it in, just remove the bolts, and chuck the guide in the trash. Make sure to have a torque wrench and all the torque specs, as well as an fsm so you know what order to tighten the bolts back in(for the valve cover).

If you need more details, just ask

1991240xs

anyone got a picture of what the guide looks like?

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”