Timing Chain Cover 2004 Maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
ToTheMaxima
Car: 2004 maxima, SL

Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to replace the tensioner and guides. i know there is a proper way to line up the marks to set the engine at TDC without taking the rocker cover off. However, you need to make sure the cams are aligned in compression stroke and not exhaust. You will know which one it is once you take the timing chain cover off. If the marks show alignment that cams are in exhaust stroke, the camshaft sprocket needs to be rotated 360 degrees. So my question...how do you spin the crankshaft once the cover is off? do you put the pulley bolt back in and spin it with a ratchet that way or there is a special socket? I've seen those sockets but its inner diameter is smaller than the shaft's.
Also, any tips along the way of entire procedure are appreciated :)
On a side note: I've replaced rocker covers before and I am trying to avoid this procedure right now knowing that there is another way.

Thank you all for any input.

macgiver

mac,Be carefull that you don't put the pulley bolt back , having it BOTTOMED in the crank as a stopping point. Always use like a large socket , stacks of washers, steel sleeve, etc. Because torquing the bolt to rotate crank have been known to "Blow-out" the nose of the crank ,if not reinforced with a spacer to PREVENT BOTTOMING to back of crank nose thread. You're basically "simulating" having balancer there which normally would keep the bottoming from happening.

ToTheMaxima

macgiver wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 pm
mac,Be carefull that you don't put the pulley bolt back , having it BOTTOMED in the crank as a stopping point. Always use like a large socket , stacks of washers, steel sleeve, etc. Because torquing the bolt to rotate crank have been known to "Blow-out" the nose of the crank ,if not reinforced with a spacer to PREVENT BOTTOMING to back of crank nose thread. You're basically "simulating" having balancer there which normally would keep the bottoming from happening.
in another words I should do the job right and take off the valve cover

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

That has nothing to do with the VC, trying to keep from tearing up the crank. Use washers like said and simply add them until the bolt is spaced out but threads all the way in a goodly amount so you don't strip threads that way (too little instead of the opposite, too much, you can get damage both ways). If the bolt bottoms in the hole, the threads on bolt end tear up and then they tear up the crank threads when you pull the bolt.

The old way was one guy slowly turns engine ad the other puts finger over the #1 plug hole with plug removed and wait until he feels the finger begin to blow off from compression, stop there and slowly rotate engine to the first TDC and you are on TDC compression. The problem being how to get a finger down deep in a plug tunnel on a DOHC type motor. I myself would likely solder up a piece of straight tube to a hollowed out plug body to make a tube that extends up enough to put a finger on...........cheap specialty tool.

ToTheMaxima

anyone set TDC with OBD-II scanner like Snap-on?

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

It is impossible to set TDC with any sort of OBD scanner, it is a mechanical process.

ToTheMaxima

I know it's a mechanical process. I was wondering if a scanner was able to distinguish between compression and exhaust strokes. Thanks for the input

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

No, it cannot.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

I think you have to take off the valve covers to access the camshaft tensioners . You will probably need
to remove the cam journals on the ends closest to the timing cover

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”