Timing chain/belt

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Scottneon
Car: Nissan Versa

I've searched the archives and didn't see if this question has been asked before. Do I have to change the timing chain/belt at a certain mileage? Thanks

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

I did not find anything in the maintenance schedule that indicates a timing chain/belt replacement.

lain
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

As far as I know if you have a chain drive you do not need to change it. Belt drives over time start to streach and need replacing, don't know the expact time/mileage. The Versa is a chain drive btw.

jacksan1

lain wrote:As far as I know if you have a chain drive you do not need to change it. Belt drives over time start to streach and need replacing, don't know the expact time/mileage. The Versa is a chain drive btw.
The chain can and does stretch as well, and it sometimes needs to be replaced. But there is usually no recommended service interval like a belt, and it is a case-by-case thing.

BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

I would bank on replacing it at around 150k, as the chain guides can and will wear or break. If and when the chain breaks (or the guides fail and cause it to jump a tooth,) it will destroy the engine.

S14-NEO
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx RB25 NEO powered

chains are a recommended inspection BY nissan 100k..just thought i would throw that in there...and yes the guides will and do wear over time not to mention thast the chain also will stretch if enough stress is put on them by increasing the engines power output.

S3t0_S13
Car: Of Nothing But FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

yea 100k-150k is when they go out

Return to “Versa General Chat”