Timing Belt?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ntwrkd

Does the Rogue have a timing belt that needs to be replaced or is it a chain that doesn't require replacement.Anyone know?

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

The Rogue QR25DE engine has a timing chain and no belt.

As far as I know, that is what Nissan does on all their engines. A good philosophy that saves customers considerable maintenance dollars, and no broken engines because the belt broke on an "interference" motor.

BrianV
Car: 07 G35S 6MT, 02 MDX-T AWD

Superdave54 wrote:The Rogue QR25DE engine has a timing chain and no belt.

As far as I know, that is what Nissan does on all their engines. A good philosophy that saves customers considerable maintenance dollars, and no broken engines because the belt broke on an "interference" motor.
Agreed. This is a HUGE benefit of Nissans over Toyota and Honda. Not only is a timing belt an expensive maintenance job that will need to be done once every 60-100k or so, if it does break, almost every engine these days is interference so a broken timing belt means a broken engine.

Additionally, when the timing belt goes, generally everything on the timing belt should be replaced. That includes the water pump and the tensioner(s). In most modern cars, a timing belt service is $1,000-$2,000 to have it done right. The reason you need to change the pump and tensioner(s) is because when you put a new belt on, it's so tight and can often overwhelm the old hardware on the belt causing it to fail shortly after installation. A chain doesn't degrade like a belt does and since it never gets replaced the other items on the chain don't get the shock of a new, tight belt. Hence, timing chain driven cars don't need water pumps nearly as often as belt cars.

I've owned many Nissan cars, some past 165k miles and have never had any engine maintenance except spark plugs. I had a couple Maximas where I had to replace a coil-pack or two (easy/cheap), but never any real maintenance on the engine.

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

Nice points on the water pumps and tensioners. Another benefit is the potential for "OH, GEE, we found something else ready to go" or "collaterral damage" you always seem to get whenever you get your car worked on, especially by a dealer.

EZ300
Car: '08 Rogue S AWD

i used to own a 240SX that i ran hard up to 280K or 175K miles when i sold it, and it was still running in awesome condition. that's one of the reasons why i love Nissan, RELIABILITY!

BrianV

EZ300 wrote:i used to own a 240SX that i ran hard up to 280K or 175K miles when i sold it, and it was still running in awesome condition. that's one of the reasons why i love Nissan, RELIABILITY!
Without a doubt, Nissan engines are the most trouble-free. I never hear of any serious engine problems and their maintenance is almost non-existant.

Take my Acura, it's already had it's engine sludge flushed once and it's EGR ports cleaned twice (and I'm only at 82k miles). At 100k miles, I need to sink $2k into her to get the belt and other crap done.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

BrianV wrote:
Without a doubt, Nissan engines are the most trouble-free. I never hear of any serious engine problems and their maintenance is almost non-existant.

Take my Acura, it's already had it's engine sludge flushed once and it's EGR ports cleaned twice (and I'm only at 82k miles). At 100k miles, I need to sink $2k into her to get the belt and other crap done.
Glad to hear these good reports on Nissan engines. Hey BrianV, I guess if you gotta put 2K in your Acura in 18k more miles your really hoping the 09 Rogues have the auto-climate control you prefer huh.

BrianV

Ticmxman wrote:
Glad to hear these good reports on Nissan engines. Hey BrianV, I guess if you gotta put 2K in your Acura in 18k more miles your really hoping the 09 Rogues have the auto-climate control you prefer huh.
Yeah that's sort of what we decided. We really like the Rogue, but our MDX is under warranty until November or until 92k miles (we have 82k now), by then the 09s will be out. We're 1.5-2 years out until needing the 105k timing belt service; I imagine we'll have a replacement vehicle by then.

Right now we carpool to work but our commute is 65-70 miles daily so fuel efficiency is becoming ever more important for us as we're spending $400+ a month of gas for both of our vehicles (we alternate which vehicle we drive to work every day). There's also a rumor that my company is moving offices to another office that would tack on another 10 miles to my daily round trip

We decided not to rush into anything. The Rogue isn't perfect for us so we decided to wait it out. If it gets climate control, it'd be pretty darn close. However, we're also excited to see what other fuel-efficient technologies become available in the next 18 months in CUVs like more hybrids, common-rail nox-box diesel, etc.

I love Nissan, they're definitely my favorite all-around manufacturer, however, I don't see them making any strives in fuel-efficiency technologies yet. If Honda comes out with a 35+ mpg diesel CR-V and VW comes out with the ~35mpg diesel Tiguan, it'll be tough not to seriously consider those.

On the other hand, we loved how the Rogue handled and my g/f loved the size and agility. We'll see, but I'm sticking around to pick the brains of Rogue owners and see if everyone remains happy with the Rogue.

Ticmxman

BrianV wrote:
Yeah that's sort of what we decided. We really like the Rogue, but our MDX is under warranty until November or until 92k miles (we have 82k now), by then the 09s will be out. We're 1.5-2 years out until needing the 105k timing belt service; I imagine we'll have a replacement vehicle by then.

Right now we carpool to work but our commute is 65-70 miles daily so fuel efficiency is becoming ever more important for us as we're spending $400+ a month of gas for both of our vehicles (we alternate which vehicle we drive to work every day). There's also a rumor that my company is moving offices to another office that would tack on another 10 miles to my daily round trip

We decided not to rush into anything. The Rogue isn't perfect for us so we decided to wait it out. If it gets climate control, it'd be pretty darn close. However, we're also excited to see what other fuel-efficient technologies become available in the next 18 months in CUVs like more hybrids, common-rail nox-box diesel, etc.

I love Nissan, they're definitely my favorite all-around manufacturer, however, I don't see them making any strives in fuel-efficiency technologies yet. If Honda comes out with a 35+ mpg diesel CR-V and VW comes out with the ~35mpg diesel Tiguan, it'll be tough not to seriously consider those.

On the other hand, we loved how the Rogue handled and my g/f loved the size and agility. We'll see, but I'm sticking around to pick the brains of Rogue owners and see if everyone remains happy with the Rogue.
Please do stick around, I've enjoyed your insight on various topics. It will be interesting to see if Nissan pulls the incorrrect picture of the climate controls from the website that you found anytime soon. That is misleading but probably was not intentional.

BrianV

Ticmxman wrote:
Please do stick around, I've enjoyed your insight on various topics. It will be interesting to see if Nissan pulls the incorrrect picture of the climate controls from the website that you found anytime soon. That is misleading but probably was not intentional.
I'm also curious because I read from another member that the pinball-game commercial showed a push button starter when the SL w/ Premium has a turn based starter; that would be a larger goofup for Nissan.

I'll be around...

YGBSM F-4G
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD

My 02 Toyota Tacomas timing belt plus labor was about $450. I agree the timing chain is a much better approach for the simple fact they last longer and you'll know when a timing chain goes, whereas when a timing belt goes, you won't know it till the engine is trashed and bend a valve.

I just hope my Rogue does better in the sensor department than my '95 Maxima did. I went through a bunch of O2 and knock sensors on that car. Also had the starter replaced just after warranty expired.

BrianV

YGBSM F-4G wrote:My 02 Toyota Tacomas timing belt plus labor was about $450. I agree the timing chain is a much better approach for the simple fact they last longer and you'll know when a timing chain goes, whereas when a timing belt goes, you won't know it till the engine is trashed and bend a valve.

I just hope my Rogue does better in the sensor department than my '95 Maxima did. I went through a bunch of O2 and knock sensors on that car. Also had the starter replaced just after warranty expired.
Did they replace the water pump and tensioner on your Tacoma? They should have, but often to stay within a budget they don't.

Yeah o2 sensors were common on the Maximas; I never had any problems with mine, but they're easy to fix.

YGBSM F-4G
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Funny you ask about the water pump.

The day I bought my Rogue happened to be the same day I took my Tacoma in for what I thought was a leaking radiator. Turned out to be a leaking water pump. I knew the timing belt was due for a change as I had 80K miles on it. I had them replace the water pump and thermostat. I had a feeling that was also bad since I troubleshot that myself. The timing belt replacement was $450 w/labor. The water pump, thermostat was slightly less.

The funniest part was having the shuttle driver take me to Nissan so I could pick up my Rogue.

I've had the Rogue since Nov and completely happy. Of course it could use more power, but I only miss that when merging onto freeways/highways with short on ramps. With that sluggish 4 banger, I'm getting a good 26/27 mpg.

Ticmxman

YGBSM F-4G wrote:Funny you ask about the water pump.

The day I bought my Rogue happened to be the same day I took my Tacoma in for what I thought was a leaking radiator. Turned out to be a leaking water pump. I knew the timing belt was due for a change as I had 80K miles on it. I had them replace the water pump and thermostat. I had a feeling that was also bad since I troubleshot that myself. The timing belt replacement was $450 w/labor. The water pump, thermostat was slightly less.

The funniest part was having the shuttle driver take me to Nissan so I could pick up my Rogue.

I've had the Rogue since Nov and completely happy. Of course it could use more power, but I only miss that when merging onto freeways/highways with short on ramps. With that sluggish 4 banger, I'm getting a good 26/27 mpg.
Sluggish 4 banger, hmm I wonder if the difference in the reduced power in the Rogues sold in California could be making you Rogue feel sluggish. Rogues sold in California have engines with 167 hp and 170l lb. ft of torque versus the 170 hp 175 lb. ft of torque the rest of the country has available. I also note you have the excellent awd system in your Rogue this does carry an extra 160 lbs so your pounds per hp = 20.71 the rest of the US SL AWD have 20.35 lbs per hp, and 2wd US SL has 19.48 lbs per hp. This could be enough to change how peppy some Rogues feel compared to others. Anyway glad your happy with your Rogue the fuel economy is excellent and they are a blast to drive, and we have no timing belt to worry about.

Derango
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

New York also gets the california emissions model (I own one of those) and mine seems peppy enough to me. Granted "peppy" and "sluggish" are kinda subjective...

Also take into account my last car was a Civic

Ticmxman

Derango wrote:New York also gets the california emissions model (I own one of those) and mine seems peppy enough to me. Granted "peppy" and "sluggish" are kinda subjective...

Also take into account my last car was a Civic
Yeah your right Derango it is kinda subjective. If you previously drove a ride with more hp it might make a difference in how quick you might feel your 4 banger is. I did not know NY had the California emissions model thanks for the info.

Return to “Rogue Forum”