When is the time to change the parking brakes on JX35

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
Alwayscool
Car: Infiniti Jx35

Hi All,
How can I check if it's time to change the parking brake shoes on my JX35? Is there a way to check without having to remove the rear rotors?

macgiver

:crazy: mac, just changed mine ,'93 J30 w/ 260kmi.They really last IF you don't E-Brake slide on Psycho-DRIFTING!Typical scenario for the E-brake (parking brake ) is at approx. 6 to 8 "Clicks" your vehicle should not move on moderate slope & IF MOVING briskly ,should slow moderately heavy - with possibly lock-up @ around 15 -5 mph , JUST a GENERALITY .Also on extremely steep grades ( and with more appliction than 6-8 clicks) it shall be able to hold fwd's AND reverse :yesnodTest this by" bumping" gas pedal in gear on steep grade (whls turned -into curb ! ) . My car at 25 years old showed the lining material to be hardened , almost caked and very brittle - not holding very well at all in reverse slope , although the drum type system used is sp'osed to be a kind of "servo -setup" , yet both (Fr & Rr ) shoes are same exact part (in my case,maybe common to Nissan/INFINITI ) which should make "holding" the same Fr. to back ? :crazy:One more thing - nobody (parts stores , mach. shop in area ) does Drum - turning on these puppies - just scratch up the inside surface w/rough "garnet" to grab better / break in !These shoes @ O'reilley's were $25. :cool:Can adjust shoe "clearance" w/screwwdriver @ drum-hole.Can adjust application "tension" @ hand lever or L.kick panel.
Other than the above info & "Test" NO - gotta take disc /drum off and use eyes :rotfl

Alwayscool
Car: Infiniti Jx35

Macgiver, thank you so much for the great information.

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”