Time for oil change: 5-30 vs 10-40

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
miata007
Car: 2009 Cube 6sp, 2005 G35 sedan

The owners manual recommends 5-30 weight. I have a few quarts of 10-40 in my garage. Will using 10-40 cause harm or voids warrantly?

When I check the owner's manual for my G35, 10-40 is ok for I don't live in snow area.

ThanksPhillip

Square1
Car: 09 Cube

Although the manual calls for using 5/30 oil using 10/40 shouldn't cause any problems nor void your warranty. And since you live in a warm climate area you should be OK. But you might want to give your local Nissan dealership a call first.

Many cars recommend using 0/20 mainly as a means to meet the CAFE requirements for fuel mileage. It's pretty common knowledge that this has caused some issues with premature wear, every car I've owned that required 0/20 was changed by me to 5/30 and I never ran into a warranty issue or lubrication problem. - Dan

damian666robin
Car: 2009 nissan cube

miata007 wrote:The owners manual recommends 5-30 weight. I have a few quarts of 10-40 in my garage. Will using 10-40 cause harm or voids warrantly?

When I check the owner's manual for my G35, 10-40 is ok for I don't live in snow area.

ThanksPhillip
means you already past the 3500 miles, i am half way down there at 1445i will prob trow some mobil oil on it once i am ready

miata007
Car: 2009 Cube 6sp, 2005 G35 sedan

Yeah! Changed it around 3700 miles.

I notice the car does make a strange sound during warm up period.Sounds like water bubbling sound when you boil water. Is more pronouced when I listen underneath the car. Anyone experience that?

InYubaSha
Car: 09 Carribean Blue cube S

I just hit 900, I'm gonna change it next time I have a couple days off

I thought everyone here would be doing the 1000 mile oil changeyou get to see alotta shavings in the oil right then

after that go to the regular 3000 mile intervals

im the only one??

cubekrom09
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube Krom Edition

I'm at about 2000 miles now... I will take this car strait to dealer.. it is only like $37 for the full service oil change... Cant beat that and there aren't any warranty issues that way. By the way I am a big time do it yourselfer... So this is a hard decision for me.. I might bring them some synthetic oil... after the complete break in cycle..

InYubaSha
Car: 09 Carribean Blue cube S

autozone had mobil 1, filter & 5 quarts for 29.00change went great, didn't drip oil everywhere with the horizontal filter,old filter was in there really tight tho

SBDonnie
Car: 2009 Super Black Cube S

InYubaSha wrote:I just hit 900, I'm gonna change it next time I have a couple days off

I thought everyone here would be doing the 1000 mile oil changeyou get to see alotta shavings in the oil right then

after that go to the regular 3000 mile intervals

im the only one??
I talked to several Nissan techs and they said this isn't necessary, but it's definitely not a bad idea either. I thought about it myself and called to double check.

Heavy Metal Doctor

I'm also big on doing everything I can myself, so it's taking some adjusting to get used to the idea of someone else touching my car for anything, but my dealer gives free oil changes for the first 3 years in the deal.....so I guess it'll be in there next week for the first one.

I'm also somewhat surpirsed by the number of people who feel they need to do something more than what Nissan recommends...it makes me wonder how much people are being sucked into automotive industry "hype" on certain things.....my last 3 Nissans all went beyond 250k on regular 5w-30. On the other hand, I guess the synthetics are supoposed to extend the time between changes, so maybe it saves money in the long run...I dunno, I just stick with what I know works.... If you are a DIY'er, I would recommend to anyone, though, that you stay clear of Fram filters as I have personally seen the aftermath of DIY oil changes using them and then the engine "mysteriously" goes bad...spun bearings, rod knock, etc...and they wont warranty anything 'cause you did it yourself....one didn't make it 20 miles bfore the engine started knocking and the filter was under huge pressure when we cracked it loose (oil not getting through).....ever since, Ive always just used decent quality store brand filters / oil --- if you can find someone on the "inside" of your favorite auto parts store, you may find thier oil comes from a top name brand company anyway, just in a different bottle and a little cheaper. I also wondered about the "break-in" so I did doudle check with a couple of sources and the dealer service dept. reassured me it's really not needed anyomore - they said that Nissan just doesn't want you to take the car off the lot and immediately drive for 12 hours at 65 on a highway trip - give it a few weeks of varied speed driving first.

Return to “Cube Forum”