Time for oil change #1

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Yup, tomorrow or Thursday I will need to take my 32-day old Versa in for its first oil change. Odometer reading when I parked the car tonight was 2640.

I know I'm not the only insane mileage runner here... who also is close to needing #1?

By the way, the oil filter is the same as the Maxima/Altima, in case anyone was wondering.

Juelze
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360 AWD

Ever Victorious wrote:Yup, tomorrow or Thursday I will need to take my 32-day old Versa in for its first oil change. Odometer reading when I parked the car tonight was 2640.

I know I'm not the only insane mileage runner here... who also is close to needing #1?

By the way, the oil filter is the same as the Maxima/Altima, in case anyone was wondering.
The dealer told me 3,750 for my 1st change and I'm going to heed there advice. They supposedly use a better oil. Who knows. Anyway, has anyone checked on changing the oil on the Versa? I didn't look really well but there looks like there is a big plastic protector that you have to remove.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

I haven't checked myself, but I expect that you're right about the plastic guard. Just about everything under there is covered!I'll be switching over to synthetic in the next few days, so I'll post comments on any issues I run into.If you plan to do it yourself, I would recommend buying your oil filter from Nissan, at least for now.I got mine for about $7 incl. tax, and they included the crush washer for the oil plug, which is a nice touch. The filter itself seems to be well made (o-ring seal inctead of square-section gasket), and the parts guy said it has a valve in it that keeps the engine head pressurized, similar to the way a pre-luber works. I asked if he meant the anti-backflow valve, and he said "No, this is different". I'm not sure what to think. I kinda doubt it's anything too special, I suspect he didn't know what an anti-backflow valve is!Of course, I could be wrong...nah...

MileHighVersa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

I'm going in for my first oil change on Friday. I will have approximately 3750 miles by then.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

I have about 1500 left until it is needed. Have the filter & oil in the garage. Can you believe this little engine takes more oil than an Xterra?

rwanttaja

Waiting until the stock interval...another 2,000 miles. My dealer gave my free oil changes for life as part of the purchase, so I guess I'll stick with the standard schedule and oil weights/types.

Ron

Ever Victorious

My dealer wanted to charge me $2500 for a "regular maintenance package" up to 100k miles. That's a bit steep for a car that HAS timing belts... which the Versa doesn't.

I could check how much more it will cost for me to get synthetic when I get my oil changed. Have to take a look at how much more it will cost over the course of say, 150k miles.

I may be a freak, but I'm already saving up money for an engine change. Because I know that will happen, at the rate I drive, in about 5 years.

As far as 3750 miles for maintenance.. eh, I've never heard that. If it is a matter of "better oil" they use, then unless you get your oil changed with the same stuff it's kind of moot, because after the first change you'd need to go to a "regular" maintenance schedule.

So thanks, but I think I'll stick to my usual every-3000 miles...

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'd rather do the oil changes myself than pay (or even not pay) a dealer to do it. I just don't trust oil change monkeys anymore...especially when there are plastic shrouds or anything else that must be removed. The plastic guard in my Maxima's fenderwell was destroyed over time by oil change monkeys. And my dad's Trailblazer has a metal plate guard that was just never put back on after an oil change. Annoying and DEFINITELY not something I want to be paying for.

Plus when I do it myself I can be absolutely sure the car gets a quality filter (no FRAM!) and good oil.
XterraVersa wrote: Can you believe this little engine takes more oil than an Xterra?
The Xterra is a wierd one. The VG33E(and R?) take 3.5 quarts...but the VG30E takes 4.25. Strange. I think the KA24DE Xterras take more oil than the VG33E/R Xterras as well?

cireecnop1
Car: 2007 Toyota Touring Prius w/Package#5

I agree the idiots at my Audi dealership didn't fully tighten or forgot a few bolts for the belly pan on my A4 and the damn thing fell off and drug under my car for miles before I noticed, gave up with them!

muskrat

I'll probably need one about the same time you got yours. I drive about 700 miles in two weeks.

Did anyone ever find out what the verdict was on the syntectic oil?

Ever Victorious

The verdict is...

I'm the guinea pig.

Oil has been changed, using Mobil1 synthetic and a K&N gold filter. I figure, my reimbursements from work pay for it, so what the hey.

Cowboys Fan 87

Hey EV.....I'm getting close to that 1st oil change and I remember reading your posts here.....anywho.....did you notice anything different after you changed to Synth oil?

Also, did you go to the dealer or your local "Jiffy" spot?

(Not that oil matters right now....when you need a new set of bumbers)

Ever Victorious

Cowboys Fan 87 wrote:Hey EV.....I'm getting close to that 1st oil change and I remember reading your posts here.....anywho.....did you notice anything different after you changed to Synth oil?

Also, did you go to the dealer or your local "Jiffy" spot?

(Not that oil matters right now....when you need a new set of bumbers)
And tailgate. and tail lens. and... (anyway)

I didn't really notice any short-term, immediate effects after the oil change. I wasn't in this for short term gain anyway, this was done in hopes of:

1) Extend the life of the engine as long as possible (I will also change the transmission over to a synthetic fluid when the 30k service rolls around in a year, and might just look into seeing if Cooldex or a similar 100k mile coolant is compatible with our systems)

2) Make the interval between oil changes a little longer, because people look at you funny when you get your oil changed once a month.

I used a local lube & tune place (small chain) that's reputable, honest, and does an inspection with every oil change (FAR more comprehensive than the "Jiffy" places...)

I bought the filter from a local parts store and took it in when I checked in the car. Mobil1 happens to be the synthetic that they use at the shop.

I love that our cars have timing chains instead of belts. That there cuts down a TON of maintenance costs.

c5neb
Car: 2007 Fresh Powder Versa SL

I plan to go synthetic on my first change. Any thoughts on the new "longer" change interval?

RetiredTexans

We picked up our V on Labor Day after a 1 week wait. North Texas Nissan (NTN) was super from day one to respect my wife's wishes on its configuration from what options were available. This was a "No hassle dealer" to us.

NTN insisted the 1st oil change come at 1,000 miles and they paid for it. I was able to watch the mechanic from the waiting room and found him to be very thorough. He removed the screws on the passenger side and 1/2 way across the panel allowing it to hang out of the way while draining the oil. The drain pan on a mobile storage tank was off-center allowing it to easily fit between the panel and the oil pan. While he waited for the oil to drain, he inspected the underside from front to rear.

I agree with some of the other threads that we will see longer wait time on repairs, but let's be reasonable: they haven't seen many Versa's in the shop for any reason yet. It's called the learning curve in the technical world.

---------------------------------------------------Versa S in Onyx Blue, Beige Interior, 4AT, Power Package, Splash Shields, Foor Mats

Mexico Plant, Sequence Number 362544

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

c5neb wrote:I plan to go synthetic on my first change. Any thoughts on the new "longer" change interval?
After you change to syn, change the oil after 3750 miles. This will make sure that the old dino oil is out. After that, if you want longer change intervals, get the longer lasting oils. You should still change your filter every 3750 miles regardless of the oil. There are extended life oil filters out there. Do not expect to save regular maintanence money by switching to syn oil. The money savings will come from delaying the long term wear & tear maintanence/failure of the drivetrain.

Syn oil is worthless if the filter gets full and the oil bypasses the filter. Dirty oil, dino or syn, is very harmfull.

BenDupre
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2006 Quest 3.5

Acording to my dealer, the factory requires oil change at least every 7500 miles. They also recommend changing the filter every 3750.

Remember when changing the filter, to add 1/2 qt of oil.

Ben

Ever Victorious

Yeah, the whole point of going synthetic wasn't to save money in the short run, I'd be an idiot if I believed I could do that.

It's all about prolonging drivetrain life and decreasing long-term cost.

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

I've actually done quite a few "first" oil changes on Versa's at the dealership.

And for reference for anyone...they take the 65F oil filter and the drain plug is 14mm

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Just so you guys know, the "3750 miles" for the first oil change is not a Versa specific thing. That is what Nissan states for the oil change interval for all their cars.

As a general rule of thumb, the more often you change the oil, the longer the engine will last. Synthetics really do work...if you use them, you will even get more life from the engine.

The truth is, the first oil change is the critical one. Many people (including myself) will recommend that you change the oil for the first time at 1000 miles because the first 1000 miles is when you have the most metal deposits in the engine, because the oil seals are seating in for the first time.

With modern day oils, 3000 miles per oil change can be excessive, especially when using synthetics. However, many places recommend 3000 miles because it is an overly safe margin. Nissan feels they can go as far as to say 3750 miles is safe enough.

Using a synthetic oil, in general, can double the lifetime of the oil in the engine. So in reality, of Nissan recommends an oil change every 3750 miles, it can safely go 7500 miles on synthetic between changes. But once again, the more often you change it, the longer your engine will last. It becomes a question of money vs. longevity. Personally, I change my oil in my Sentra every 3000 miles with synthetics. However, my car gets more abuse than your average car (track days, and hard driving). But, you can pull my valve cover off (with over 100k miles), and you will still see machining marks on the cams, even with numerous track days. But to each his own. With lighter driving and less frequent oil changes, your engine may be just as clean at 100k miles.

proxim2020

c5neb wrote:I plan to go synthetic on my first change. Any thoughts on the new "longer" change interval?
If you decided to go the longer intervals, make sure you cut open your filters to make sure everythings ok. If you're finding lots of little metal bits, something's not working correctly and the oil may not be protecting the way you thought it would for as long as it says on the bottle. I change every 3000 - 5000 on the synthectic. Even though the oil can go longer, I like fresh oil to keep the gas mileage up.

Return to “Versa General Chat”