Time for new tires

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
Headnsouth
Car: 2005 G35

I've got a 05 G35 Sedan with 98k miles on it. I currently have Michelin pilot sport A/S tires. They have held up extremely well with about 70K miles on them. The fronts are ok but the as you could imagine :biggrin: are worn out.
I'm leaning towards Costco for my new set. http://tires2.costco.com/SearchResults. ... 6bad2ae2f3
They've got Bridgestone - Turanza Serenity Plus for a good deal but I've never had a set.
Your thoughts, comments.

Also one of my wheels has (from the looks of it) lost one of its wheel weights. From looking I assume the rims are balanced, my current tires have none of the external wheel weights on them.
Who installs the rim weights?

Headnsouth

No comments on the wheel weights? :gotme

From what I've looked at it's either Michelin Primacy MXM4 vs Michelin-Pilot® Sport A/S Plus
I'll have to go up to a 245/45ZR18 96Y from a 235. My last set were the Sport A/S Plus and loved them.
$190 per tire. Anything else I should check out before I pull the trigger?
99% sure I'm going withe A/S Plus. Any problems/issues going from 235 to 245?

dbaxRonin
Car: 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400
2010 Infiniti G37x AWD Coupe (Traded in)
2001 Infiniti i30L (Traded in)

You can't tell by looking if a wheel is balanced. The weights counter-act any uneven load as the wheel spins. You can only really tell if a tire is out of balance when you drive it, typically at higher speeds (50+, depending on how out of balance they are). The car will start to noticeably rattle and shake at a specific speed range.

Think of what would happen if you tried to spin a hoolahoop that has one half filled with concrete. As the unfilled side came around your waist, the weight of the concrete would make the outer end fall to the ground. But, if you filled the other half with the same amount of concrete (and you were Superman) you could get it to spin around you without one end or the other falling to the ground.

Your tires should be balanced by the installer whenever you get new tires put on. They may not always be necessary but they will always check it. The shop uses a balancing machine that spins the tire at a high speed and measures the amount of weight needed, and tells them precisely where it needs to go. If you don't notice any issues when driving now, it could be the missing weight you noticed was a spot where an old weight was removed the last time the wheels were balanced. In any event, if you are getting new tires, they should re-balance them for you.

Headnsouth

I know how and why wheels are balanced I had just never seen glued on wheel weights. I guess my question wasn't very clear. Here's a pic of my new tires, painted calipers and new rotors. Sweet!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”