Time for a new Clutch

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
FrenchPople
Car: 1983 Datsun 280ZXT 2+2
2016 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Desert Runner 2WD

Hello again to whoever may be reading this. I got an 83 280zx turbo and the clutch is starting to slip on her... yeah figures and I have a feeling that it may have the original clutch since it had 90k when I got her.

Looking into the service manual it mentioned about disconnecting the throttle linkage and supporting the engine for when the trans comes off. what I want to know is if that is true and is there any other advice for doing the clutch job?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Yup, the problem with mechanical throttle linkage is when you tilt the engine to get the transout you put the linkage in a bind, so be sure to pop that throttle arm that links to the firewall before you pull the trans. You will want some way to manipulate the angle of the engine, a floor jack with a block of wood is fine, If you're doing it on a lift you don't really need to support the back of the engine as you have more room to work. If your coolant hoses are dry rotted now is a great time to replace them as all this rocking of the engine will put some stress on them. It's a pretty simple job, be sure you disconnect the slave form the bellhousing and let it hang.

FrenchPople
Car: 1983 Datsun 280ZXT 2+2
2016 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Desert Runner 2WD

sweet thanks for the advice, one other thing... I live in wonderful dry Arizona and im wondering if the linkage will ant to break when I go to take it off... have you seen any issues with it before?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Don't mess with the plastic pushrods, just the bar that goes from the firewall to the throttle bar on the plenum. It's just one cotter pin, careful not the drop the spring and washer.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”