Thumping noise

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
DragonRI
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube S

It seems to be on the driver side. When turning the wheel sometimes I get a thump. The car has been brought to multiple mechanics and each one says it is something else. I spent 4 grand already trying to resolve this thump that nobody seems to be able to find the cause of. Looking for ideas. So far I've changed axles, struts, upper and lower control arms, steering knuckles, hub bearings, motor and tranny mounts.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sounds like a rack or sway bar issue if it only happens when turning, I'd check the bushings for both of those first, along with the sway bar links. Could also be a stressed chassis. When the car is built it travels the production line wheels-up, and that leaves the chassis in a "stressed" state that can cause weird noises later in the car's life. It can be cured by loosening and re-torqueing the subframe, rack, control arm, and subframe gusset bolts with the car wheels-down on an alignment rack, then realigning. This allows the chassis to "relax" under its own weight. Note that it must be done on a drive-on rack, a lift will leave the car wheels-up just like the factory.

Return to “Cube Forum”