Throttle remapping possibility?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Hi All,

I was driving around today, shifting as though I hadn't driven a manual in years, and thinking about the posts regarding the 'hanging RPM' issue our 6M Versas have. If you don't know what I'm talking about, either you don't have a 6-spd manual tranny, or you didn't read all the threads! Anyway, I was wondering if any of you electronics gurus could comment on the possibility of remapping or otherwise re-programming the computer to allow the RPM's to drop like most cars do when the clutch is depressed.

Any thoughts?

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Must be a driving style causing it. My 6-speed doesn't hang the RPMs when I press on the clutch.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Are you kidding?! Everyone else seems to notice it.

I've driven 4-5 different manual vehicles over the years, and this is the only one with this issue. Someone mentioned in one of the other posts that it was a characteristic of the throttle-by-wire system, which must be computer controlled, hence my initial question.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

I seriously think it is in your shifting footwork, not a design flaw.

I tried on my Xterra to get the trottle to hang. If I press the clutch before I was off the throttle the RPMs would go up or stay the same for a second or two. If I am completely off the throttle before the clutch is fully disengaged, the RPMs drop.

The Versa is harder to try this since it has a short clutch. But I drive for fuel economy instead of speed/performance.

I can make the Versa hang the RPMs by changing my footwork, but I choose not to. I gues thats why I get close to 40 mpg while most everyone else is in the low 30s

cireecnop1
Car: 2007 Toyota Touring Prius w/Package#5

No I agree with you Elmojo, XterraVersa okay the one way that you will most definately notice the 'hanging rpm's' is when you are moving maybe at a steady "roll" 5-6 mph have your car in first let go of the clutch and the car will start to accelerate for you then all of a sudden the car starts to slow its self down like a normal car would when you are in a low gear. this is something i would like to see gone. it makes me shift like an old lady its gonna take a while to get used to.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

XterraVersa wrote:I seriously think it is in your shifting footwork, not a design flaw.

I tried on my Xterra to get the trottle to hang. If I press the clutch before I was off the throttle the RPMs would go up or stay the same for a second or two. If I am completely off the throttle before the clutch is fully disengaged, the RPMs drop.
You won't be able to replicate the Versa's throttle hang in your Xterra because the Versa has electronic throttle-by-wire. That's what causes the common throttle hang in all newer manual nissans.

I'm not a big fan of throttle-by-wire personally. I can see the potential benefits but at this point in early implementation, they don't outweight the downsides.

I'd imagine there is a way to reprogram the behavior of the TBW, but you'd need access to nissan Consult equipment and knowledge of how it's programming works.

justmerging
Car: 07 Versa SL w/CVT Cuz I'm lazy

just fyi, the TBW system isn't really that new. My 04 pathy has it and i think the 03's had it as well. I don't personally like it. give me an old school throttle cable baby, yeah.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I meant new from an automotive technology standpoint. It's still very new and "unperfected". But yeah, it's been on most Nissans since '03 or '04.

philmcneal
Car: Civic Coupe Se 04

i sure notice it on my ULEV civic that doesn't even have electronic throttle control! I find shifting just a little bit slower solves the problem... also the shifter likes it better too! Slides in like butter instead of resisting the shift.

I can't wait to test the 6spd to compare to my Honda's Civic 5spd.

BenDupre
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2006 Quest 3.5

Yes it's a problem. It was even noticed by more than a few early rewiewers and it appears an their write-ups. The manual I drove at my dealer before buying the CVT had the problem. It's one of the things that made me choose the CVT The other was that 6th gear is wayy too short.

Anyway, in at least one review it was reported that this was a known problem and it would be corrected before production release. Aparently it was not corrected. It still might be fixed in a software release yet to come.

Ben

Return to “Versa General Chat”