Throttle Cable

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Hal_Armes
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

I have a 1984 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickup, 5-speed, pretty much standard. The other day the carburetor caught fire. I put it out before too much damage was done but the throttle cable got hot enough that it locked & was totally ruined. All attempts to rig it failed. All the parts stores I have called do not even list the part. I think I can order one online but that was at the moment the only vehicle I have that I can legally drive and I would like to get the part sooner than if I order it online, and I don't want to pay for expensive overnight shipping. I've looked at cables on some other vehicles, tho I haven't had the chance to look at a newer pickup yet & hope to get a ride to a junk/salvage yard tomorrow, but 720's are not that common around here. My question is; does anyone know what other type vehicle uses a throttle cable that is compatible with the '84 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickup??? There's got to be something else that uses a cable that would fit & if I knew what it was I could call the parts stores and inquire about the cable for the other vehicle and it might show up on their computers, but at present I am destined to forage junk yards at the mercy of someone else to get me there. Thanks.

waynosworld

I had a throttle cable melt when it fell down and rested on the exhaust manifold, I bought a replacement from the local parts store, but I live in the northwest where Datsun/Nissan 720s are common.
All you can do is comb thru the wrecking yard looking at every vehicle till you find something long enough and make it work, I have had to jury rig my throttle cable in the past when the end broke off.

Hal_Armes
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

Thanks. Headed to the junk yard today ;)

Return to “Datsun 720”