Throttle Body Nipple = Vacuum Source?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
AAV240sx
Car: '89 240sx ka24e-t
E39 M5

So I'm in the middle of finishing up my ka24e-t build and trying to figure out if this nipple on top of the throttle body is a vacuum source. I know that it connects to one of the egr solenoids and from there to the mess of hardlines on the intake(which I've trashed along with the egr) and from the hardlines to more solenoids on to the back of the head.

So if anyone can tell me if this nipple is a vacuum source, that'd be great. If it is a vacuum source, I was planning on using it to hook up my boost gauge. If it isn't can I just saw it off and plug the hole?

Razi
Car: Moo

It should be fine, I don't think it matters if the source is before or after the throttle body plate.
Do the SOHCs not have a vacuum source hidden in the back anywhere?

I tee'd into my FPR's source behind the manifold for my boost gauge on my DOHC.

If you wanted, you can pull or saw it off, then tap the hole and plug it.

AAV240sx
E39 M5

Yeah, I didn't think it mattered either but as I looked around the inside of the throttle body I couldn't find any holes inside where that nipple was connected to get a vacuum inside the intake, which made me second guess whether it was a vacuum source.

I was initially going to tee off into the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator as well, but as I looked at everything for a moment, I noticed the nipple sticking out and figured I might as well use it if I can. It'd be easier than cutting and filling the hole.

Either way, I'll know for sure if it''s a vacuum source later on in the week when I try and fire up my car for the first time after rebuilding and stuff.

Razi

Good luck man!
Car looks great, the extra power should add to it's coolness. :)

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Agreed, car looks sweet. I usually source the vac from the intake manifold, I'm not sure where that nipple ends up. Let us know.

AAV240sx
E39 M5

Haha thanks! Yeah, I'll try and remember to come back and update on how it turns out lol.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Hate to have to come track you down...

AAV240sx
E39 M5

So to avoid getting tracked down, I guess I'll share a little update lol. I got the car started today, and managed to keep her running for about 2 minutes till I shut her off when the motor started to smoke, but just turned out to be the exhaust wrap. Tried to make her run a bit more smoothly by tweaking the distributor and throttle and now it won't stay running haha.

In terms of the nipple, during one of the couple attempts to get her running again, it backfired out the intake and a puff of air/smoke came out the throttle body and the nipple. So I may be able to use it as a source after all.

I still gotta make/fabricate my intercooler brackets and piping before all the bits and pieces are in, and I make another attempt to get her running again.

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

Ported vacuum.

The more the throttle plate is open, more vacuum. When it's closed, no vacuum.

AAV240sx
E39 M5

Ah so it's called a ported vacuum, awesome. Thanks! I actually got around to firing her up today and ran it for a minute or two with the boost gauge hooked up to the ported vac nipple and it did exactly as asoomal described it.

Now I'm wondering if it's a reliable spot to run my boost gauge and diverter valve...

Razi

I'd move it to a vacuum source that doesn't act weird.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”