Throttle Body Cleaning - 2017 Sentra SR Turbo

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
FiestaST
Car: 2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo

Hi,

The dealership recommended I get the throttle body cleaned, and I thought they were charging a lot for a service that might be pretty simple until...

I can't seem to locate the throttle body.
Is this difficult to locate in our engine bay?

Also, is our throttle body electronic? Is it better to leave it to a mechanic to clean?

Thanks!

sk47
Car: 2001 Nissan Sentra SE

Hello; I know two things about this. First is there will be a throttle position sensor with the throttle body, usually on the outside. It is my understanding you have to be very careful about damaging that sensor. The cleaning spray should not be sprayed onto that outside sensor.
Second thig is about how the circular plate in the throttle body is operated. On some engines it is a mechanical link or cable which opens the throttle plate. If you have such a cable then you can open and close the throttle plate without a problem.

However if that plate is a drive by wire sort it has a small motor which opens the throttle plate by a command from the computer. If you force open the plate such can mess up the settings and throw the system out of whack. So do not force open the throttle plate.

Some of the cleaners advertise a way to clean the throttle body using a curved straw like applicator which you slide into the rubber snorkle which attaches to the front of the throttle body. You then start the car and let the spray go thru the plate.

Yes those plates do get gummed up. It is from the crankcase fumes being re-routed thru the intake to be burned so they do not pollute. The small amounts of gasoline and combustion byproducts that blow by the rings gets into the oil. This use to be just vented to the air but for a few decades has been run back into the combustion chambers and burned.
Problem is that with fuel injection the only thing flowing thru the intake now is air. The older carb systems had some fuel running thru the intake so would wash the intake some.

sk47

https://www.nissanclub.com/threads/thro ... st-5650964

Hello; I suggest you look at this thread

sk47

Hello; My mistake. I just realized you made the same thread in the other forum, so you already have the info.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”