Throttle Bearing

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
200RR
Car: Nissan 200sx/FOR SALE

i have a 1987 nissan 200sx, manual 5-spd V6, it makes a whinning noise when you are pulling out of the drive way, like when you put it in first and feather the clutch to slowly pull out, it whines, same deal with reverse. but once you let the clutch out and start driving, the noise is gone.so is it the throttle bearing (throw out bearing) ? is this part cheap?or does it just need greased? located in the tranny right? so that mean i have to drop my tranny and shift linkage? how much time would i use doing this and how pist off would i be?

Rival SE-R
Car: 91 se-r, 90 240sx fastback

it sounds like its quite probably the throw out bearing, which is located inside the bell housing of the transmission with the clutch... you have to drop the trans (or at least slide it back enough to get in there to change it, not sure if thats possible, but sometimes it is). normaly you would change the throw out bearing with a clutch, and unless you know your clutch is fairly fresh i would recomend doing the clutch while your in there...

you will need to drop the driveshaft, and depending on whether its hydraulic or cable clutch either unbolt the slave cylinder or unhook the cable (respectively), there should be a tranny mount on a crossmember near the tail of the trans that will need to be unbolted, and any wiring needs unhook. then you can un bolt it from the engine and slide it back, then down...

i dont know what your experience is so i cant say how hard it will be for you, but its not the easiest job, and is fairly involved... you will at least need a good manual, a decent set of tools, and an accurate torque wrench to properly tighten the clutch assembly (if you decide to change it)

also recomended would be some medium strength locktite sealant, and if you decide to change the clutch you should try to get the flywheel cut at a machine shop (some good parts places can do this, or tell you where to get it done, a remanufactured flywheel may be cheaper as well)

if you plan on tackling this yourself and your uncomfortable, definitly get a good manual (like one from nissan) and try and find someone who has more experience to help you-pete

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”