three to choose from need help

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
solid

hey i have a 95 240, i have a aem intake and wanting an exhaust for my next mod. I've been looking for days, and i have come to either getting a apexi n1 for 485+shipping, a blitz nur spec for 377+shipping, or a 5-zigen fireball for 465+shipping? And if anyone has one of these exhaust can you tell me the ups and downs of it. thanx for the help.

trpower7

I'm throwing in my .02 here even though alot of members would disagree with me...............

$500!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!

An exhaust is a tube that goes from point A to point B, which is a muffler of some sort, to point C, the very end. They are built to withstand extreme heat. ALL IT IS IS A STEEL TUBE. While some thing saying you have an Apexi'i N1 is worth the money, here is what I would do. Walk down to the local exhaust shop and tell them you want a 3 inch, as straight as possible, cat-back exhaust, and get a muffler of your choice. I like hte OBX B3 bomb styles (really deep tone) or the Flowmaster 60 Series (really growly tone). They will crush bend (only very very slightly, not enough to make a difference on an NA car, usually not much on a turbo either) 3 inch stainless steel pipe and weld that muffler on, and hang it all up for probably a bit over $100. Muffler will run you $70-$100. So we are looking at usually a $200 max for the whole deal. Now tell me why you should pay $500 for the Apexi'i N1

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Still its up to you. Most of the time you get what you pay for. For the most part cat-backs are going to sound better than a 'muffler shop' made exhaust system. I paid more than those prices for my HKS but I'm very happy with it.

As for which one of the 3--couldn't give you a great opinion, but a lot of ppl like the N1.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Where are you finding a Blitz NUR spec for that cheap? I would be suspect that thats just the rear sections... aka an axle-back.

trpower7

While I certainly almost die by "you get what you pay for", this is about the only time you will see me make an exception. Honestly, if you can come up with a really viable reason why an Apexi'i is $300 better I'll stop. Here are the differences as far as I see

1) The crush bends. Most people don't like these, but keep in mind they do not close down the diameter significantly. It's not like your 3 inch pipe all of a sudden becomes a 1 or even 2 inch pipe.

2) The welding. Usually an exhaust shop unit will have more welds than the pre-made one. But keep in mind how many things on a car are welded. So who cares?

3 ) Some form of heat coating. If you thinki stainless steel isn't good enough (and I have NO CLUE why it wouldn't be) then you can get it ceramic coated yourself for far under $300. Or just paint it with a high-heat ceramic paint.

4) Bragging rights. "I have an Apexi'i N1" sounds alot better than "I had an exhaust shop weld this thing together".

5) MAYBE the sound. But that is so tunable depending on what muffler you put on the end of it. I would almost gaurentee an Apexi'i muffler on the end of an exhaust shop tube would sound exactly the same as the Apexi'i N1.

solid

thanx for your guys in sights. Sorry to ask but what is an axle back? I think thats what it is. What do you guys think is the best, low end power, mid end power, or high end power?

240dreamer
Car: 95 240sx SE

Hey solid, i did what trpower said and had a muffler shop bend a 2.5" pipe from the cat-back and put on a muffler of my choice on also. When all the smoke cleared it only cost me 200 bucks. I love it, but the sound is personal preference only. As for bragging rights....if you're not the bragging type then why pay the extra money for the brand name? If you wanna let everyone know what you got, then go for it! In the end it's up to you.

PS...I'm not new to the forum, i just changed my name. :D

trpower7

Good job, it'll work just fine for you. Way to save yourself $300 on some ridiculous brand name!

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

I have a B.S. muffler welded to 2.5 inch piping. The sound is great, nice and deep (and I got a really small canister). I see no real difference in getting a cat back, especially on an NA. Someone posted about 3" piping...I'd go with 2.5. My friend had an N/A 87 zx, and he went from 2.5 to 3 and there was a extremely noticable drop in torque, the engine pulled like a**. I'm changing my muffler soon to a universal N1, but that is for looks anyway. Get the cheap stuff, it works. Oh yeah, all in all it cost me 220, but i had to get a crack in my exhaust fixed also, so it could be less than that. I went to meineke, and they did a fine job.

1dollar240

i just spent 170 bucks on a completely new exhaust at a local muffler shop. I also had to buy a new catalytic conv. (100 bucks). I just got the shops midrange muffler installed, also they removed the resonater. Im completely satisfied. The sound is great. and i have some added power. Whole thing with cat cost me 270. dont waste your money on brand name piping, because thats all it is- pipe!

trpower7

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”