Three Bad Purchases

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
jerryc41
Car: 2009 Cube SL

After we got our Cube with help from Cash for Clunkers, I looked at the accessory list to see what I wanted to add. Mistake #1. I ordered the organizer box for the trunk. It does not sit level or firmly on the floor. I can rock it back and forth. Also, it is not level, but tilts slightly back. When the seats are folded down, there is still not a flush surface since the box is lower than the seats. I'll build something for that area so I can get a flat surface from the rear door forward when the seats are folded down.

Mistake #2. I decided to add the LED interior lighting kit. LOTS of disassembly to install it. They work fine, but at $254, they were grossly over-priced. I then bought a set of LED interior lights for another car from "Glowshift and LED" for just $54. I got more lights that are much brighter, with lots of control for colors and display - even a music mode.

Mistake #3. I wanted a back-up sensor, so I got the Audiovox unit that has a chrome strip for the license plate. It looks great and has a loud beep, for only $83. The problem is that it gives too many false positives. If I am backing up, the beeper is probably sounding. If it beeps all the time, it might as well not beep at all.

A good purchase was the LED DRL kit, again grossly over-priced at $513. I didn't like the look of those black blanks in the front bumper. There was lots of disassembly, but I didn't remove as much as the directions said to remove. They look very nice. By the way, if you want to add the cheaper fog light kit, the plugs are hanging right there. Just mount the lights and plug them in.

Radio. To solve the back-up sensor problem, I have ordered a Pioneer AVIC-X910BT. List price is $1,000, but Crutchfield (my favorite seller) sold it to me for $750, and there is a $100 rebate. That will give me a back-up camera, CD/DVD player, navigation, Bluetooth, XM radio, and iPod player. I will have to add a couple of adaptors for the XM and iPod, but it should be a nice unit when it is up and running. I wish my Cube had the steering wheel controls for the radio, but it doesn't. Pioneer makes a little unit that clips to the steering wheel and works for most of their radios, so I might get one of them. I have been using one in another car, and I like it ($40).

Horns. Speaking of sound, what was Nissan thinking with that little beep-beep horn? It sounds like a kid's toy. I installed a pair of FIAMMs, and they really get your attention.

12v outlet. I'm going to add two or three 12v outlets. Radio Shack has them with rubber caps, and they install nicely in any flat area. I always add them to my cars - running off a separate circuit breaker box. I can't believe they sell this "high tech" car with just one 12v outlet.

Recalls. I had the recall done for the nuts on the TPMS. Next week I bring it in to have the rear door handles and hardware replaced.

Maintenance. You might want to take a look at Automotive Wolf as a maintenance program. I started using it a couple of weeks ago, and I like it. It's replacing a program I've used for years that does not work with Win Vista.

Shop Manual. The only shop manual I was able to find was a CD from Nissan. It's expensive, but it gives lots of detail, and I can print out whatever I want and bring it to the car.

Amplifier: Any suggestions?
Modified by jerryc41 at 5:40 AM 12/20/2009

TBrack
Car: none

The organizer box comes with a 3 inch thick styrofoam platform with velcro on the bottom. Go back to the dealer and get it.

jerryc41

Thanks for the info. I got the box from a Nissan dealer online. I'll email them.

chompsticks
Car: Cube Krom

Here us my cargo organizer for about 50 dollars. I can have the seats fully foward or backwards.

jerryc41

Very nice.

KromCube
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube Krom

Agreed.

ewraven
Car: 2009 Superblack Cube KROM

Like was mentioned, the cargo organizer comes with that Styrofoam on the bottom.

However, mine doesn't have velcro, instead it has straps that hold it down. I got mine afterwards from the dealer and once I got it all strapped down, it is very very secure. It won't budge at all.

There are two straps in the front of it that hook onto the front of the back seat mounts and then there are two straps that hook onto those two black hooks on the back of the cargo area under the door when it is closed.

ewraven
Car: 2009 Superblack Cube KROM

Oh yeah, for the factory service manual.

Someone over at http://www.nissancubelife.com posted it for download.

Just click "search" on that home page and enter "factory service manual"

That should bring up the post with the links for the download. I don't know for sure if they are still good or not though.

jerryc41

I've seen the plastic boxes in stores, but what did you use for the covering over them?

JDMZ32
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX, NA, slicktop, 5-speed, red

I thought you were going to say first mistake was buying a Cube .

chompsticks
Car: Cube Krom

JERRY, I used a piece of plywood, the thinnest one, cut it into shape and into two pieces and put hinges on it so that I could use it with the seats pushed back or forward and just covered it with a old fleece blanket i had laying around.

Return to “Cube Forum”