Thoughts on the Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec?

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
fatbOy45

Hey all,
considering a 370Z or a Genesis Coupe R-Spec... Anyone have a positive experience with the Genesis? Solid contender? Thanks for your help!

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Welcome to NICO!

You'll get a lot of varying opinions on that subject.
Having never driven the Genesis, I'd say that it should be cross-shopped for the money.
The next thing you might want to do is ask yourself a few questions-
- is it your only car?
- do you ever need to haul passengers/things?
- how about reliability? Hard to argue with the Hyundai warranty these days.
- are you planning on modifying the car? Could void either warranty.
- does money matter? Check the insurance rates for both cars.
- If you're looking at 2 seats; have you ruled out a used BRZ, a new Miata, Camaro, Mustang, G37, or Corvette?
- Does fit and finish matter? The Z probably has a nicer interior and cooler tech bits (the rev matching downshift is neat).

Really, it'll come down to the cars use and what you will need it to do. The Z is a ball to drive, but leaves little in the realm of utility/cabin space.

When you get around to it, please share your thoughts on the Hyundai- I'd really like to know what you think of it when compared to the Z.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Ray hit on a big question that I'd ask, do you need 2 seats, or 2+2? The Gen Coupe is a compromise of a

Thoughts on the Gensis:

Sloppy gearbox (and that's coming from me driving a 350Z, not exactly a crisp gearbox by any stretch), numb steering, excessive highway droning, decent styling, decent back seat room for a coupe if you can deal with the lack of headspace

It's a little telling that Cobb Tuning, gurus of making factory forced induction vehicles "better" have no products aimed at the 2.0 GenCoupe despite Hyundai selling them in droves. It's an ok car, just not an outstanding one.

As far as the Z goes, there are plenty of cars that can outgun it in the engine department for far less money, but if you're willing to spend some money on the engine it can be a great performer at a bargain price. It's got a decent suspension, great aftermarket support, and because of the lack of punch from the engine you can get a deal on a used on if you shop around. Add a supercharger to a lower mileage Z, and you can get decent performance and great looks.

cincysilvias14
Car: 2008 350z touring
2004 350z enthusiast

if youre comparing the genesis to the z you cant. A guy at work has a 2013 and its already knocking. at the price of a genesis id rather get a brz/frs or a base z34 but like busy badger said many more vehicles who have better bang for buck.

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

BusyBadger wrote:
Sloppy gearbox (and that's coming from me driving a 350Z, not exactly a crisp gearbox by any stretch.

:gapteeth: Oh cmon, the crispiest gearboxes I have driven were from an s2000, rx8 and 350z.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”