Thoughts on rotors and pads for a Rogue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
darrylwmiller
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Any opinions or experience on 2 different types/brands of rotors and pads for a 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

CENTRIC 90942071 OE Coated; Semi-Coated Rotors and Posi-Quiet Pads
Fits Front; "T" 5th Digit in VIN; 2 Row Seat; T32 Model Series
or Front; "T" 5th Digit in VIN; 2 Row Seat; Korea Built Vehicle; T32 Model Series

or

POWER STOP CRK7036 Evolution Geomet Coated Kit
Front; with 2 Rows of Seats

Last year I purchased and installed Max Brake brand from Amazon and learned my lesson about being cheap with critical parts. They are all chewed up and crappy now, they worked well at first but deteriorated quickly. Most of my driving is highway (about 100km a day)

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

I ended up with Detroit Axle pads & rotors for our 2015 just a month ago. Under $180 for a full set F & R. Time will tell how long they last but so far they are fine. No weird noises or vibrations.

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I’d highly recommend raybestos element rotors and pads. I put them on my 09 Altima in Ohio and they held up very well given the winters. I also put wagner rotors and raybestos pads on my wife’s 18 and at 32k on them they’re still at 50%. I put bendix pads on powesrtop coated rotors on my daughters suv and they’ve been fantastic as well. Stay away from wagner quiet stop pads. I used them for around 1000 miles and they’re anything but quiet.

RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

The best aftermarket pads (and probably better then OEM in most cases) is Akebono pads. For rotors, I just use cheap rotors and never had a problem. But always buy Japanese parts when you can. Japanese companies care about quality and their name, even if their part is made in another country. American and Chinese owned companies only care about that 5th condo in the Bahamas.

oldnissanguy
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SE
2023 Nissan Rogue S

My shop uses Akebono pads when they can get them but I thought it was just because they liked saying "Akebono'. :chuckle:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Akebono are fantastic, just pricey. I respectfully disagree with using cheap rotors. I did that back in my poorer days and can verify that cheap rotors are just that. Given my climate, anything less than coated would be scrap in a year. I just did a brake job all the way around on my 09 using Bosch quietcast rotors and raybestos eht pads for $150. Granted, 3 of the 4 rotors and the pads came from Amazon wharehouse but still.

RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

good point on the rotors, I guess I get lucky and drive my cars enough that it doesn't matter. I do notice they rust pretty bad if my car sits longer than 6 days. (I live near the ocean in humid Florida). If my cars or truck sat for a month or two, the cheap rotors would be pretty bad.

macgiver

To your question . Hands down Powerstop over Centric , my opinion

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I just rotated tires for my daughter yesterday and am really impressed with the bendix pads I put on for her. She drives 100 miles round trip as nurse 4 days a week and is an awful driver. Smart as a whip but a ride with her will change your life. At 30k there’s no vibration and the pads are at least 50%. I bought the copper free pads (whatever that means) and they play well with eht rotors. Her drive involves about 20 miles of inner city so that’s impressive given her 0-60 and 60 to zero driving style.
Last edited by D1dad on Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

RickFlorida wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:03 pm
good point on the rotors, I guess I get lucky and drive my cars enough that it doesn't matter. I do notice they rust pretty bad if my car sits longer than 6 days. (I live near the ocean in humid Florida). If my cars or truck sat for a month or two, the cheap rotors would be pretty bad.
My issue with cheap rotors was more the glazing and vibration than the rust. Before I had two nickels my cars were chit boxes so the rusted rotors fell in line with the look. I had my wife’s rogue running through the Cumberland gap and the brakes sizzling pretty good. I figured for sure I’d have some pulsating going on after but none to be had. I generally stalk Amazon warehouse and slowly stock up throughout the time in between brake jobs and end up with quality parts for a fraction of the cost. My son was just quoted $1300 for new brakes and rotors so I’ll continue to do so. Also doing your own brakes ensures everything’s done right. I polish the hubs so there’s absolutely no run out, use sil glyde on everything that slides and never had a bad result. I’m like a surgeon doing a brake job. The time it takes me would in no way be profitable to a shop, but I do it to the T.

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I have Power Stop Geomet coated rotors on the front of my VW and they are doing well with not rusting for the two years I have had them on. I live in SW Michigan where we get snow, which means salted roads.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I’m in NW Ohio, so basically across the state line from you, same weather. I’m considering power stops and think they look like they’d hold up so thanks for that. Our neck of the woods will stress test rotors real fast. The ones I’ve tried are as follows.
Carquest treated= garbage. Rusted everywhere but the painted hat in less than a year.
Bosch quiet cast coated= decent, looked bad in a few years, but never warped.
Wagner e cast= look pretty good going on 3 years. Wife’s car, no pulsation which is impressive for the way she drives.
Raybestos element 3 treated= best of all. My 17 yr old son wore the pads out in 25k. New record for my household. I replaced them but could have done a pad slap.

Return to “Rogue Forum”