Thoughts on Murano

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
PeacefulMan
Car: Nissan Murano 2009 LE

Folks, need some help/advices/ideas/thoughts. Let me first give you some introduction so you can understand where I’m coming from. I’m thinking to buy something nicer that what I’m driving now (an older minivan) and thought about an SUV for the look and versatility. I do not do off roads or so, pretty plain driving in the city and might in the future do trips or so. Also would like something that looks nice inside out plus I’m big on comfort, handling, quietness..etc. I won’t ask the obvious question what SUV’s should I consider in this forum, so I will focus on the Murano, I did see some nice looking ones like the Edge, CRV, venza..etc (a long list) but overall I’ll ask your thought about the Murano only. I’m looking for a used one in low mileage. My philosophy in spending is just mine, I don’t spent big box on a new car even with financing, I know what I make and what I can handle and plan my future and risks. I would say that the Murano wouldn’t be the most economical on gas but it does have many features that I like and I think I could live with that mpg if given a good reliability and satisfaction in the cabin and out.

I would be interested in the 2009-2014 generation. Also, I am a bargain finder, so looking and waiting until I see a good deal overall. I’m in western Canada and even saw some better pricing down eastern Canada and the US but I think I will stick locally and there are too many suspicious deals, rebuilts..etc.

1- Probably I would go with the AWD as I don’t think the gas consumption would be hugely different than the FWD to make me change my decision. Regardless most of them been sold here seem to be AWD.

2- I read that between 2009-2014, the same trim level might have different features between years, plus some buyers did have add-ons maybe. I would say minimum SL. LE would be nice but if the SL has for example the memory seats and steering wheel then that’s enough. Here in Canada, heated seats are nice and so the steering wheel if available but not a deal breaker on the last one

3- What I read, is depending from year to year, the SL-LE differences would be in some features like power steering wheels, GPS, memory seats, 20” wheels (I read that 18" are more confortable), leather..etc… some SL might actually have leather and memory seats (2011 and up)

4- GPS is not a deal breaker but nice to have. So if it’s not equipped with, is that easy to install one, where can I get one, salvage? How much, any one done it and worked? (I already have a Garmin to put on the dash if some would propose that).

5- DVD in the headrests for the back seaters is not a deal breaker but nice to have. So if it’s not equipped with, is that easy to install one, where can I get one, salvage? How much, any one done it and worked?.

6- Same question for remote start, which I don’t think should be too expensive to install. I only prefer to have one key instead of adding another one to carry. I’ve seen online some keys that says for Nissan with the start button on it?

What I’m asking are your thoughts on years and trims and how to select a Murano online. I do like quietness and comfy rides in a car with good handling.

Cheers,
A.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Options, like you said can vary from year to year and model to model (as well as if it was originally a Canadian spec or US spec vehicle). You'll probably just have to read each ad individually and/or contact the seller to see if it has the options you want.

For Nav/DVD players in the headrest, I believe you need a different harness going to the seats at the very least, possibly in the dash as well. If its really important to you, you're best off getting a vehicle with them factory installed. I'm not sure what a retrofit would cost, especially in Canada.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Agreed with smurf - I'd just look at the different ones in your area. The Murano invented the CUV segment, and it's still the best vehicle in the class.

I think I might take a chance on going aftermarket with the Nav and DVD stuff, honestly. Prices have dropped to silly levels, and a good car audio shop should be able to do a nice in-car entertainment system. I wouldn't let that stop you if you find a Murano you like.

The '15 redesign means some 13s and 14s are going to be discounted, but I wouldn't count on much - it's a solid seller. They're not languishing on lots.

PeacefulMan

Thanks smurf and hitman for the inputs. I think as you said i have to contact each seller, I know for sure I would need at least SL trim and also the beige interior, it just appeals me so much. It comes down to find a bargain, I see some fair deals with dealers but looking for a private sale, I have to be carefull because I've seen many private and it smells suspecious, some cars being sold in Canada with being US made (probaly bought them cheap salvage or rebuilt and fixed them), they always say either lady driven or their mom's ..etc. many rebuilts, with minor accidents..etc.. I would go away from those don't need to risk my money on that. Looked up many in the US but at the moment with the exchange rate it's not the best.

Yes I live in Canada, so maybe heated seats or stearing wheels are not always available in the US.

You are right about the Nav/DVD, first if I like something with a low price I shouldn't wait on that, could always do it later or live without. some features like the memory seats (which seems to be available on some SL) are nice and also the memory steering wheel (not sure other than LE trim would have it).

What sites (ebay, amazon, aliexpress, salvage yard in the Us..etc)? you think i can find parts for Nav and DVD that are good fit and won't give a grief, basically will work right after the install (with hidden cables)? and how much would i expect for parts and labour? i see so many models but not sure which ones will fit well and also "safe", befause a headrest i presume is a serious part that was designed for a purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lasffL--L0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uquxU1-u6jI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0aN_0vy648
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxwNKw-Dbjo

Have you driven both 18 and 20" wheels often, can you attest that there is a difference in quitness and ride confort ?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Good thinking on all counts.

I'd suggest checking with some local car audio installers for the Nav and DVD setups. There's so much cool stuff on the market, and a good installer can make things work like a factory setup.

The 20" wheels aren't a big detriment on the Murano... it was designed for them. Quietness and comfort is really going to be contingent on tires more than wheels, so again, select what you like and go from there. If you're going to be switching out to snow tires seasonally, I'd recommend the 18's (just for cost concerns).

PeacefulMan

Makes sense, I shouldn't focus too much on GPS/DVD/20".

What trim/years would be close to LE in features, such as the memory/power steering wheel tilt/telescope?

AZhitman
Administrator

They've done a "loaded" model since 2003. Honestly, considering you're wanting to probably keep this for a while, I'd focus on trying to find a Platinum package Murano, maybe a 2011-2013. 40k-60k miles seems to be the "sweet spot" for depreciation, while still being eligible for good financing, an extended warranty, and having all the goodies you want.

The other thing to consider is that people who spend a little extra $ on a AutoTrader ad are likely to have spent money on maintenance and caring for their car.

PeacefulMan

Where I live it's not much private sales on Autotrader or Kijiji, probably not as many sweet offers as in the US. It's mostly Muranos from dealers. I watch daily.

I tested a used Edge today and overall I think the Murano experience is better. Confort and quitness, the Murano is slightly better. Although the Edge felt lighter on the road but even with that the Murano was mor responsive at acceleration I think, specialy from a stop. The Edge had really strong brakes, glues it to the ground quickly. Still the Murano was a good package I think.

Overall how do you like the Murano driving, have you compared to other ones like the ford Edge or Venza, Sportage..etc?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Fords always seem to be bigger than they really are whenever I drive them. I've never driven a Venza or a sportage.
The one big thing I don't like about the old Murano is the HMI seems super dated already. The screens and graphics on it look old and simple.
Probably why I like real buttons and knobs instead of touchscreens, etc.

Return to “Murano Forum”