this is way too gay

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
Roach
Car: 89 Z31

I can't find 1 damn event in va... aaaaah everywhere I look it's drag racing (fail) or a car meet.. any autox or road racing? why? maybe I'm too stupid to use the internet to search. please help

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Roach wrote:I can't find 1 damn event in va... aaaaah everywhere I look it's drag racing (fail) or a car meet.. any autox or road racing? why? maybe I'm too stupid to use the internet to search. please help
Well for road racing, one of the best road race tracks in the country is only a few hours drive from you. VIR (VIRginia International Raceway).

http://www.virclub.com Its near Danville.

There are many car clubs that rent VIR's track that you could hook up with.

I was just there a couple weekends ago in my Nissan with the Audi Club who do 2 events on their full course every year. they welcome all car makes

http://www.audicarclubna.org (Potomac chapter) next event is April

Another excellent club is Trackdaze. They run great events there too.

http://www.trackdaze.com

the VIR club link should give you a calendar of events with links to the various clubs.

Another fun track (actually three of them) is at Summit Point Raceway, not far from Winchester. They have 3 challenging circuits that get rented out by all the same clubs

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com

for Autocrossing,

you can try http://www.motorsportreg.comhas national listings for many clubs that autocross as well as do track events.

If you're interested in 2 days of literally unlimited autocrossing, you should also mark May 8-9. NICOfest Carlisle (PA). We have exclusive use of Carlisle Fairground's autocross track. Free to NICO members (with paid admission to Carlisle's Performance and Style show). No experience necessary, lotsa spectators, lotsa NICOnauts. any make car welcome, very few restrictions. Always a great event.

http://www.carlisleevents.com

writeup on last years NICOfest Carlisle event

http://www.nicoclub.com/nicoev...shtml

That should give you a start...

Roach

exactly the help I was looking for. I really appreciate it I'll look into all of them. But From what I hear vir is expensive as herpes vaccination. I don't understand how the whole teams thing works.. How much money am I looking at dishing out yearly? respectively guesstimating of course

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Roach wrote:exactly the help I was looking for. I really appreciate it I'll look into all of them. But From what I hear vir is expensive as herpes vaccination. I don't understand how the whole teams thing works.. How much money am I looking at dishing out yearly? respectively guesstimating of course
Well, road racing is an expensive sport regardless of the track. But how much you spend depends not only on the track, butthe type of event, how long it is, where it is and and how often you go.

If you want to experience driving your own car on an actual road race track, which is a thrill, HPDE is for you. (high performance driver ed_) That's what Audi, Trackdaze and other clubs do. For a premier track like VIR, an HPDE will typically run between $375-$450 for 2 days on the track, with your own car. Price includes an event shirt plus a banquet, classroom time, skidpad time, etc. plus hours of track time with an instructor. If you don't own a helmet you can rent one plus you have to join the club which is maybe $50/yr. Add in a $80/ night at a hotel (figure 2 nights), and that's about what it costs plus gas and food for the first event. Additional events with the same club, you subtract out the annual membership fee. That's actually pretty cheap given what you're doing.

At a track like VIR with long straights, you'll easily hit triple digits without fear of getting tickets. You also learn a good bit about car control and you and your cars limits. You also get opportunities to grab rides with instructors. At Audi, VIR event, pro drivers Randy Pobst and Mark White were guest instructing. One of the other instructors had been bringing his Carrera GT. Many smiling Audi students can brag about riding 170 mph in the passenger seat of a $450K Porsche. Very fun atmosphere at these schools. there's also a instructor that drives a mostly stock 350z (ahem)

There are fancier schools like Skip Barber, Jim Russell, Bertil Roos, Derek Daley, which are more comprehensive and you use THEIR cars, but they cost considerably more.

If the HPDE sounds too expensive, you'll find autocross a bargain. Ssafer and easier, as they are held in parking lots. the downside to them is you rarely get out of second gear. Plus most sanctioned events limit the number of runs you can make. Autocross can be very addicting. Lotsa fun.

The annual autocross we do at Carlisle is unusual in that we do not restrict the number of runs. Unlmited runs and its free with admission to the Carlisle PErformance and Style show (it's huge) the cost to get in the gate last year was about $50, and hotel costs are reasonable in Carlisle,especially if you book early., there will also be many NICOnauts looking to share rooms to make it even cheaper. Sanctioned autocrosses have a lot of rules, classes and requirements. NICO's emphasis is on fun. No classes. No requirements. just bring your car,a helmet and have fun.

We'll be creating the thread for Carlisle in the next month or so in the national events section. Definitely worth the trip.

Roach

that kind of money could buy me a turbo kit. Prices like that make me want to stick to street racing. Even a ticket is cheaper. I understand the value however I work and go to school full time and making it on my own at 19? yeah I'll stick to smashing hondas for a while. I might do autox but I want a race experience with other drivers around me. If that can't happen for a price less than that of reckless driving so be it

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

HPDE is $125 in AZ (at Firebird or PIR).

Street racing is gay.

Roach

no street racing is metro and open to interpretation gosh!. friend requested you on myspace eyeball my build in my pics

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Roach wrote:that kind of money could buy me a turbo kit. Prices like that make me want to stick to street racing. Even a ticket is cheaper. I understand the value however I work and go to school full time and making it on my own at 19? yeah I'll stick to smashing hondas for a while. I might do autox but I want a race experience with other drivers around me. If that can't happen for a price less than that of reckless driving so be it
Street racing, huh? A speeding ticket is the least of the risks. It's also illegal, incredibly unsafe, stupid, and you risk catastrophic financial loss if something goes wrong (remember it's an illegal activity, so your insurance company will drop you like a hot potato).

You might want to stick to either autocross or go-karting. Cheap and legal.

Roach

so simply put I'm stuck at 55 mph or between cones doing 30 until I graduate college? this sucks pen15.. that actually makes this... GAY!!!!!!

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Roach wrote:so simply put I'm stuck at 55 mph or between cones doing 30 until I graduate college? this sucks pen15.. that actually makes this... GAY!!!!!!
No, you can work hard during the week so you can afford to take your car to the track on weekends to have fun with it. It's called maturity.

Motor racing is an expensive hobby. Trust me, I've been doing it for years.

Roach

I work my a** off all week. But food is more of a priority. I believe that is called maturity

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Roach wrote:I work my a** off all week. But food is more of a priority. I believe that is called maturity
You asked specifically about autox and road racing. You just learned it costs money to do either, perhaps a bit more than you can afford at the moment. There's nothing wrong with that. It simply means that if you want to get into them, you can either do something that fits within your budget like autox, or you can wait until you have the funds to spend to get onto a real race track.

If you decide you want to street race instead, that's your folly. But it should be clear to you by now that we do not endorse it.

Roach

oh you're right in every way I'm not arguing I'm just irritated probabl smarter to do autox anyhow. I wanna go to the nico thing in pa in may my track car shoukld be ready by then. on the good side just got back from court for reckless driving. 76 bucks and driving school. got lucky

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Roach wrote:oh you're right in every way I'm not arguing I'm just irritated probabl smarter to do autox anyhow. I wanna go to the nico thing in pa in may my track car shoukld be ready by then. on the good side just got back from court for reckless driving. 76 bucks and driving school. got lucky
I hope you can join us at Carlisle. It'll give you nice taste of autocrossing and it's a lotta fun.

Roach

yeah I hope. By then my track z31 should be ready.. good na power if not t3 boosted I'll make that decision later on. if not I'll bring one of my 2 others. I'd like to bring some buddies up there for some familiar faces. If not someone will have to be nice to me and teach me how things work at a track day

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Bring as many people as you want. We'll take you out for some on-track orientation, then you can let 'er rip.

Also, check with NASA and SCCA and see if they're doing any HPDE near you. Sometimes, you can attend with a group (even a non-Nissan group) if they don't get enough cars registered.

Roach

cool will do. I'ma be an oddball with a z31 unlss some of the other guys are there like evildky

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”