Thinking of trading in the M37 for an M56x

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
mrjenkins44
Car: 2011 M37

I'll ask them if I can take it out as a loaner for a day. They let me do that with the M37. Might make me change my mind.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

Thought about it as well but decided to add a couple of bolt ons and call it a day. You can't beat a V6 that is putting out more horse power that some V8's, only killer is the torque, not enough for me. Hey, it's all good :dblthumb:

mrjenkins44

Where is it that you feel the torque the most? Right off the line?

And can any bolt ons really help with that?

stm37s
2011 M37S
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)

mrjenkins44 wrote:Where is it that you feel the torque the most? Right off the line?

And can any bolt ons really help with that?

That would be nice, I feel mine I think more in the mid range, the basics like headers, exhaust, intake & a tune can really help her breath better and release those extra horses, which can give you more torque as well. They have this place here in Georgia that specializes in tuning Nissans/infinite's. I will have to see if I can find their web site. I'm not looking to gain a 100hp or so just a little more than I have and I will truly be a happy camper then.

mike_of_earth
Car: 2011 M56S

I have not driven a 37, but man, the 56 is just dripping with power. A pedal tap and it GOES. Hopefully some more mods come out for it. Man, if I could supercharge this thing....

stm37s
2011 M37S
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)

Here is their web site. I called them awhile back and they informed me that the parts they use do work with the our V6's and all of their parts are Infiniti/Nissan products and of course, they have some custom made parts as well that can enhance even more. Looking to getting some headers from these guys later on down the road among other things. Hope this helps

http://www.z1motorsports.com/g37_370z/p ... ts_id=7223

mrjenkins44

Is the M56 or M56x quicker?

stm37s
2011 M37S
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)

mike_of_earth

mrjenkins44 wrote:Is the M56 or M56x quicker?
From my research, it really comes down to grip. I think the RWD is faster than the AWD if grip were equal, as the AWD has additional weight. But, the X gets you grip, so I think it negates the weight difference. Tires are CRITICAL!

I've ordered some Bridgestone Pole Position's - 255 35 20's for my S, thinking that the width will get me better grip for the summer months. Set of winter tires will be 245 or maybe 235 40.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

In MY opinion speed really should not be the deciding factor for a M56 VS M56X decision. After personal preference I really think it should be AWD if you need it, or RWD if you don't. The lower weight of the RWD equals less stress on parts and also means less maintenance since there is one less differential, two less drive-shafts, etc. etc. The AWD means more control in wet or snowy weather for people living in places where that is a thing.

mike_of_earth

Yeah, and frankly if I look for real "speed", it'd be track speed. I live in Denver, but I have driven RWD cars here before, and honestly the typical winter here is not bad. Winter tires make a world of difference on ice / snow pack, and I am not going to be a slave to the weather when looking at my vehicle purchase.

When in doubt, if I need to I'll go studded or get some of these: http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

dmclone
Car: 2011 M56x

mike_of_earth wrote:Yeah, and frankly if I look for real "speed", it'd be track speed. I live in Denver, but I have driven RWD cars here before, and honestly the typical winter here is not bad. Winter tires make a world of difference on ice / snow pack, and I am not going to be a slave to the weather when looking at my vehicle purchase.

When in doubt, if I need to I'll go studded or get some of these: http://www.spikes-spiders.com/
Even though I have an M56x, I tend to agree with this theory. I live in Iowa and there are only about 5 days a year where the all wheel drive comes into play and AWD doesn't help you stop any faster. I've also had cars that had "summer only" tires on the them and they wouldn't move with 2 inches of snow on the ground but as soon as I put dedicated winter tires, they were unstoppable. I'm sure there are certain parts of the country where AWD is a must but very few. If I would have gotten an S now AWD for the same price (used), I would have bought that instead.

On the other hand, I don't think I'm missing out on anything by having AWD. The M56 is RWD until it needs traction.

benjo
Car: 2005 G35x sold
2012 G37x sold
2012 M56x current

I didn't exactly do this, but mine went something like this:

I was a happy 2005 G35x owner since Dec 2004, when last summer, the car appeared to start to die. 155K miles in Michigan became too much for the wheel bearings and some other minor things. Took it to the dealership and the repair cost was too much. So I started to quickly figure out what to do, as I still wanted another year or two out of that car. I simply loved it. This is when i quickly became acquainted with CPO, and for the first time seriously considered getting a used car. Luckily over the years of having loaner vehicles I stayed pretty familiar with the Infiniti lineup, so was dreaming of getting into an M56, but could not stomach the price tag of a new one. And, i did not want to step into the new Q50's that were coming available, to let new model bugs work themselves out. So I started looking at 2012/2013 G37's. Long story short, I found a single-owner, 2012 G37x coming off a 2-year lease with 20K miles. LOVED IT. Black on black. The increase in HP over my 2005 convinced me I didn't need an M56. Got a 4-year, .9% deal and off i went. That was last year July.

Well 3 weeks ago, I took my happy new G in for some regular maintenance, and what was staring at me in the garage area, but a 2012 M56x, black/black beauty. It practically was singing to me. single owner, 3 year lease, nary a scratch on the gorgeous paint. I could not believe my eyes. Was incredibly torn, as i was completely satisfied with the G, yet there stood my "dream car". So what does a person do when confronted with a first-world problem of this nature? Ask the dealer for an over-night test drive! :crazy:

One week later, i took possession of this gorgeous '12 M56x. The reality is, i love both cars.

The '12 G37x i describe as cat-like handling, somewhat pounding ride, zippy, almost never wanting for power. I always felt 100% secure taking any turn situation, dry/wet on the road I would put myself into (some rash decisions the car actually helped me with too).

The '12 M56x i describe as softer riding, comfy, less cat-like in the handling (the dealer put new tires on the car which don't perform like my old Michelin Primacy's), bigger, heavier through turns (a bit more lumbering), but GAWD, limitless power. I haven't driven a ton of crazy powered cars (I had a '97 Mustang Cobra that paled in comparison)...reminds me of an older Dodge Viper i drove while back.

Bottom line, no regrets (except the bluetooth audio display and connectivity has all kinds of problems i hope get resolved with some firmware patch that hasn't been applied).

silberma
Car: 2015 70QL

I have the Q70 with the 3.7 engine and find that with the car set in the sport mode (which alters the transmission shift points) the car has adequate acceleration and I saw no reason to test drive the V-8.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”