Thinking of possibly purchasing an FX35

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
orangetd88

Hi, new guy here. I am gonna be in the market soon for a new vehicle, and I am really interested in both the Murano and FX35. Of course, the FX is the cooler of the two, but I am not sure if I am willing to spend that much more for the Infiniti badge and a few extra gadgets.

Your thoughts?

azfx35
Car: '07 FX35

I'v had both. The Murano rides better but doesn't handle as well. FWD vs. RWD and weight distribution. The sport package on the FX has a very rough ride. Both have about the same amount of room. My current 07 FX has better performance and 2 mpg better highway mpg at high speeds. I think both have about the same amount of room inside. The FX has more amenities standard like the backup camera.

Drive them both for at least 1/2 hr & decide which one fits your needs & wants better.

orangetd88

I'm going to test both soon, here in the next month or two. I really like the new styling of the FX. I'd want the AWD pacakge on either purchase.

Has anyone had major issues that don't seem to ever get fixed?

Thorshammer
Car: FX35

orangetd88 wrote:I'm going to test both soon, here in the next month or two. I really like the new styling of the FX. I'd want the AWD pacakge on either purchase.

Has anyone had major issues that don't seem to ever get fixed?
AWD is the way to go what ever you buy.The FX45 and FX50 are all AWD but you will have to be careful with the FX35 because a lot of them are rear wheel drive and perform like crap in the snow.

pads fan
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 and 2004 Infiniti QX56

I can't speak for the Murano but the FX is an awesome vehicle. I recently grabbed a 2004 FX45 with only 24K miles and this thing is a monster. Powerful engine for the size of the vehicle! I love it ...to me, it rides smooth but then again I'm use to larger SUVs that ride like crap. I haven't owned it long but I have had no mechanical issues. Watch out for the maintenance, though. Infinitis are not cheap to maintain and they're not all that easy to work on yourself either. I recently did some maintenance and the easiest thing to do is the oil/oil filter and that's got a nice plastic skid plate in the way that takes a bit to remove. I tried for about an hour to replace the air filter and was finally successful after removing some pieces of the filter housing just to get enough clearance room to get the old filter out and a K&N in. Not sure if the 3.5 Liter engine is set up the same as the 4.5 Liter engine but it was very difficult. Changing the air filter in my 06' M35 takes 10 seconds. To give you a couple of maintenance prices, here is what I paid yesterday at my dealer in Lake County, IL:1.) Coolant Flush - $139.952.) In-cabin microfilter replacement - $68.00 (and I provided the $35 filter)

I replaced the original splash guards with new ones b/c the originals were scratched up and while installing the new guards, I could not get 2 bolts installed for whatever reason. The dealer charged me $20 to install them. I also replaced the original aluminum pedal kit and I was able to get the new pieces installed except the brake pedal, which I nearly tore my hand trying to install to no avail. The dealer charged me $30 to put that on. Their hourly labor rate is like $90/hour. As far as independent shops, I don't waste my time on them anymore ...been there, done that. Have had many luxury cars in the past that have gone to independent shops and I've got more problems coming out of those shops then going in oftentimes. It's a waste of time and money.

Just be advised that the monthly maintenance on a car like this is a car payment in itself ....when you have no maintenance for a given month, a service down the road my cost you 2 or 3 months worth of maintenance (like exhaust/tires/brakes, etc.).

orangetd88

Thanks for that info. That is something I really hadn't thought about at all.

Psiclne
Car: Infiniti FX35

2 entirely different cars. Day and night.

The FX shares the same platform as the G/Z. (FM)The Murano is the same platform as the Altimas (FFL)

The only thing in common is the class (mid size crossover).

It would depend on what you're looking for. AWD isnt a must. Really depends on the weather in your area. Its added weight, and slight modifications are needed to fit "some" exhaust systems if you're looking to mod the FX. I know there are some RWD FX's in the east coast that have no issues w/ a good set of snow tires. Take a look at other forums specifically for the FX. Not sure if posting links to other sites are allowed here.

As for maintenance, you can do most of the things yourself to save yourself a few bucks, things like incabin filter would take you 15 mins at most and you can buy the aftermarket filters for fairly cheap.

Good luck in your decision

sardonicus

My advice is to buy any other car than infiniti. I have 2006 fx35 w/ 24k miles, took to dealer because engine warning light on and car exhaust smoke. Told they had no idea why car smoking but to add fuel additive and drive at least 2 tankfulls. Within 2 weeks, car smoking worse and other mechanic (not dealer) found no oil in car. Took back to dealer and told me needed new engine and that infinity would not cover since engine "sludged" Had 6 oil changes in 24k! Evidently, excessive oil use common w/ cars but infinity does NOT inform customers....DON'T BUY INFINITI

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Welcome to our little FX segment to the new members who have joined recently. This is a fairly small but knowledgeable group in this forum.

There are other sources that have a larger dedicated following and although they have a more active thread base but we have to ask that you not post active link there. If you guys would like to help transform this forum any help would be greatly appreciated, let me know.

Despite the similarities the differences are greater.
Psiclne wrote:The FX shares the same platform as the G/Z. (FM)The Murano is the same platform as the Altimas (FFL)
Thats perfect, I don't know why people tend to think the same. The Murano has a CVT and a front wheel drive platform. The FX uses the RE5R05 automatic from the G,M,Z,and 02+Q45 the AWD system uses a variable current coupler to direct torque to the front wheels as needed, but it is designed as a rwd vehicle. The Murano uses what amounts to a full 50/50 split sending power to the rear wheels all the time. At the rear differential there is a coupler that engages the axle. This system does not allow for the same accuracy and performance aspect you will find in the FX.

The warranty is another thing to consider. The base Nissan warranty is 3/36 whereas Infinitis standard is 4/60 and 5/70 on powertrain items. You may also want to look into Certified Pre-Owned if it an option. The rates and perks available through Infinitis CPO program are great. The price is slightly more than average however everything that is <50% is replaced and the vehicle comes with a 100K Infiniti Elite Extended warranty.

If the price difference is not too great and you can afford the maintenance and insurance gap I vote for a used FX all day long. Do some research, ask as many questions as you need and know exactly what you want and what you want to pay for it when you walk into any dealer. Also you've got to take a look into the Elite warranty program, it will pay for itself if you ever need to get anything serviced.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Get an '08 FX45

HamSalad
Car: 05 FX35

I looked at both of them (also the x3).I liked the infiniti the best, got a good deal and never looked back.drive them both and see which you feel more comfortable in (I really liked the look of the x3 but the inside was boring and the pickup was slow).I drove a bunch too, I went from dealer to dealer to drive different models, different packages, etc. so you really know what you want and just as important 'what you don't want'.I have an 05' FX35 with sport package and it's a smooth ride. I don't notice the 'bumpy/herky-jerky' that I read about.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”