Thinking about doing meth...

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
dhen
Car: MGA w/ CA18DET

Came across a page that shows how to make your own methanol kit. It looked pretty easy:

http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html

My main goal would be to keep temps down. Does anyone have any experience with methanol injection? Is it worth it?

Thanks

Sideways s12
Car: 84 turbo s12

My buddy did meth injection on his ca and it turned out pretty good he had it hooked up to a WOT switch!

dhen

Did he ever do a before/after dyno? Even if I don't see more HP, lower temps would be nice = I can boost more.

The concept is simple. You hook it up to a pressure gauge and it only comes on at a certain PSI.

But I was just wondering if this is just a gimmick.

Izento
Car: RPS13

I was also thinking about doing meth in the future. The drawbacks are that in can ruin your teeth and make you lose a ton of weight though.....lol jk, well, I guess not if we are talking about the other one.

I would also like to hear some elses experience with meth injection. Is it really worth all the hassle? Would nos be a better idea? How much more expensive is nos compared to meth injection? What are the gains?

Sideways s12
Car: 84 turbo s12

Honestly he never got to dyno it after he got working as he had other tuning issues but what he said it was more for lower temps but he said he felt a slight power increase but without a dyno there was no way to know if it was true or in his head lol I was also thinking about doing meth injection myself. But I need to fix my maf issues and spark inssue then retune and dyno lol

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

To be clear, it's WATER and methanol. The water is important here. Regardless, it's a GREAT thing to do, ESPECIALLY if you're running on pump gas.

I've used it on my CA18 before I went to E85. I had a simply boost pressure switch that ran a relay, that operated a pump that pulled windshield wiper fluid out of the wiper fluid reservoir. That went into a sprayer at the outlet of the cold side of the intercooler.

I did this because I had INCURABLE detonation issues running over 10:1 compression + boost on 91 octane in the summer. Once the simple water injection kit went on, no more detonation and I was able to turn the ignition timing back up to optimal and made a bunch more power.

This last sentence is the most important. WATER/ALKY INJECTION WILL ONLY GAIN YOU POWER IF YOU'RE HAVING TO RUN LESS THAN OPTIMAL IGNITION TIMING TO PREVENT DETONATION!!! If this isn't your situation, then you won't likely see any gains.

If you're running the stock ECU, and don't have a way to alter the fuel and ignition timing YOU WON'T SEE ANY GAINS.

You HAVE to combine the ignition with fuel and timing changes to see more power.

dhen

Thanks, that makes it clear. Since I'm not planning on tuning it any time soon, I'll put the plan on hold.

One day I may go with Megasquirt, and then I'll explore it more.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I guess I should say it's unlikely that you'll see gains. I suppose if the stock ECU is pulling timing because it hears knock, this should solve that, but usually when the ECU does that it pulls A LOT of timing, and you can feel it.

srt4monster

float_6969 wrote:To be clear, it's WATER and methanol. The water is important here. Regardless, it's a GREAT thing to do, ESPECIALLY if you're running on pump gas.

I've used it on my CA18 before I went to E85. I had a simply boost pressure switch that ran a relay, that operated a pump that pulled windshield wiper fluid out of the wiper fluid reservoir. That went into a sprayer at the outlet of the cold side of the intercooler.

I did this because I had INCURABLE detonation issues running over 10:1 compression + boost on 91 octane in the summer. Once the simple water injection kit went on, no more detonation and I was able to turn the ignition timing back up to optimal and made a bunch more power.

This last sentence is the most important. WATER/ALKY INJECTION WILL ONLY GAIN YOU POWER IF YOU'RE HAVING TO RUN LESS THAN OPTIMAL IGNITION TIMING TO PREVENT DETONATION!!! If this isn't your situation, then you won't likely see any gains.

If you're running the stock ECU, and don't have a way to alter the fuel and ignition timing YOU WON'T SEE ANY GAINS.

You HAVE to combine the ignition with fuel and timing changes to see more power.
a lot of people including me run pure methanol. there is a lot more gains to be had over a mix of methonal and water.

dhen

One thing I heard about is if the solenoid fails, it can flood your engine with water. Not something I want to think about...

Izento
Car: RPS13

So I've already decided to do meth.

These are the two systems that I am torn between though.

http://www.frsport.com/AEM-30-3300-V2-W ... 82247.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNOW-PERFORMANC ... 00&vxp=mtr

I've heard good things from both (more from Snow) but I think at this point I am going on cosmetics of each and the AEM one looks more user friendly and sexy :) Anyways, I have also looked at what a pure meth 5 gallon barrel costs and it's really not that bad. This may also help me to get more power out of my PowerFC tune. Anyways, I'm more convinced to do meth injection than E85 at this point.

dash
Car: s13 ca18

buick grand nationals been hooked on injection for decades
3400 pound full weight pigs running stock 1987 blocks, flirting with 9sec quarter mile ETs... on 93 pump!
All that from a puny 3.8 L old 2 valve motor boosted by a 'not so big' 62 mm turbo. Without E85 or race fuel
They must have figured something out
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/thread ... ts.412923/

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”