Think Your FX35/45 Suspension Is Too Tight (Hard)? ...Here's what I did to fix it.

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
imnprsd
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX45

I really like my new to me 2004 FX45, but where I live we have lots of bumps in the road. So I was getting tired of fighting the road... and on top of that I could not believe Infiniti sold this car with such a tight suspension in the first place. So after doing my research I decide to do a little experimenting on my own and this is this letter I sent to one company in the business of selling steering rack bushings.

My hope is that they will create a new kit for us FX-Gen1 owners, but the principles of how to return your FX ride to "like new" should apply to all models.

How far you decide to go is up to you, but the it's not very expensive to start with front sway bar bushings and links, and to replace your steering rack bushings. ...And don't let anyone tell you that you need to remove the steering rack to replace the bushings. This is not so.

Hi Ellison,

My 2004 Infinity FX45 (same as FX35) Steering Rack bushings are different than what you recommend on your website. I'm guessing this is because the 2003 & 2004 FX models have 4 bushings vs. the "FXSteeringFix" Kit you sell, which is based on the Nissan 350Z steering rack, only has 3. So IMO, you should correct this error and create a new kit for us FX-Gen1 owners. And here's what needs to be in this kit:

* 2 large bushings... like the one's you now include from Energy Suspension Part#7.10105R (...And then remove the single split bushing which does not go to the steering rack on my car, and replace it with 2 small bushing as described below.
https://www.nedautoparts.com/products/e ... c8f6&_ss=r

2-small steering rack bushings #BS2227
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223745786651

ID: 0.480”
OD: 1.072”
OAH: 0.868”

Then you can advertise a "FX-Gen1" Steering Rack Bushing Kit on the Infiniti Form website to fix "wheel bounce." ...And I bet every Gen-1 FX owner will buy this kit; and they don't know they can easily convert their "stiff FX ride" to a more comfortable ride just by changing their steering bushings and front sway bar bushings and links. ...And then if they want more improvement they can replace their rear shocks and sway bar links as described below.

Today I used a combination of suspension parts to return my 2004 FX45 rides "like new." And here's what I replaced:

FRONT SUSPENSON SERVICE

1) 2 Sway bar bushings. (Moog Part#1547)

2) 2 Sway bar links (Moog K201555)

3) 4 steering rack bushings as described above.

4a) 2 tie rod ends (Moog #ES800428 & #ES8700429)

4b) Optional to replace inner tie rods (Mevotech #EV800302)

5) 2 control arms with new bushings (left & right) (Order on Amazon for $172 + shipping for both L&R)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F3WZG2N

6) Tighten steering rack adjustment screw 1/8" - 3/16" (This helps to reduce the play in the steering wheel)

REAR SUSPENSION SERVICE

1) 2 Sway bar bushings (Moog Part#1555)

2) 2 Sway bar links (Moog Part#K750248 and #K750249)

and links. (Note Links need to be ordered left and right.)

2) 2 rear shocks
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJGANCW

3) 2 MasterPro Strut Mount Kit Part # FM1929

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. And I think if you can come up with "FX-Gen1" Steering Fix kit then you will be helping a lot of other owners.

Mark
Attachments
Rack & Pinion Assembly 2004 FX45.jpg

imnprsd
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX45

OP UPDATE: Turns out, there is one more, very important, modification you can do that will make your FX35 or FX45 (GEN1) ride smoother and more comfortably. And here it is:

* Replace your FX (GEN-1) struts with 2004 Nissan Murano Front Struts.

Note: I kept my OEM FX45 (GEN-1) rear shocks, but I don't know if you can use the Murano rear shocks in your FX parts assembly. I know the Murano Rear Shock is taller, but the overall length may be smaller. ...But again I did not investigate fully. So maybe someone else will post an update with regards to replacing the FX rear shocks with Murano rear shocks. (TBD)

The front struts do 70-80% of the work or road dampening. So by using the softer Murano front struts in your FX you will get these majority benefits as shown below. Still, I think your most luxurious ride will come from replacing both FX front struts and rear shocks with Murano like parts.

I will add: By using the Murano struts in your FX your ride will be more "normal" and in no way will feel like a mini-van! Your highway comfort will be noticeably more comfortable too! That said, my ride is still pretty stiff in the rear, because I'm still riding on my OEM FX45 rear shocks.

...What I am considering doing next is adding a front strut cross bar to more evenly distribute the work the front suspension does. First I would like to know from other owners if this is strictly a performance mod or if there are both performance and comfort benefits?
Attachments
2005 FX-Murano Front Strut Mod.jpg

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”