Things to change before installation??

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
CA18Fastback

Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to the CA18DET but have been reading the boards here and on other forums for quite a while. I ordered a CA18DET Front Clip from Venus-Auto and it is ready to be shipped to me in PA. My question is, what should I replace before I install the engine in my car? I have heard that a fuel pump, new timing belt, and con rod bearings would be good to upgrade. The only problem is that I don't want to void my Start-Up Guarantee. I wouldn't think that changing the timing belt and fuel pump would be a problem, but I would rather not rip apart the engine before I install it. For right now the engine will remain pretty stock. Later on I will upgrade the head gasket, etc., could I just change out the con rod bearings then or do they need serious attention now? Also, I know the timing belt and con rod bearings can be ones for CA18DE but what about the fuel pump? Would it be better to upgrade now or get a stock unit?

Sorry so long but the swap is coming quickly and I need to know. Any help is greatly apprectiated.

Thanks!~Ian

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

with mine, i just changed the timing belt and, because they were shot, the water pump and alternator. i dont think the conrod bearings would need replacing, unless of course, the engine was raced to hell, although you can never be sure. i would upgrade to a z32 fuel pump or a walbro 255lph unit if i had the money, but i too am still trying to get my car running. save your money for a new turbo, youll most likely need it, the oil seals in the ca18det's turbo seem to not like sitting around for a long time, and are usually dead. mine howls when it tries to spool up, so i have to get it replaced/rebuilt. hope this helps, maybe someone more knowledgeable can further help you out.

Bryson
Car: 93 240sx Hatchback /w Sr20

Which alternator did you use or which works? I thought I read a post a few weeks back that said the US CA18 alternator won't work because it connected in the wrong place or something

777aaron
Car: race cars

Don't waste your time or money on bearings, a timing belt won't hurt but if its not lose, I would just change the oil and try to get it running.Good luck to ya,and let us know how it goes.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”