the spec V brembo's

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
nlzmo400r
Car: cars

hi guys, i know this forum doesnt get much attention, and i probablly shouldve posted this in the sentra stuff, but i want to see some more action here......anyway, i was at nissan today(yea, i live there now) and noticed they got some new o4 spec V's on the lot, basically the o3's look better inside and out, except for the wheels and brakes, the new spec V has brembo calipers and such, well i was wondering if it would be possible to transplant those calipers and rotors to my o2 altima, i know i have a 5lug, and figured it wouldnt work due to that, but i dont even wanna know the cost of the 35o's brembo's (which is what i really want:D ) so i figured if i could find someway to get em off the spec v they would do just finemy o2 altima: 3,o88 lbs , no ABS ,small brakes+rain= scary crap

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

The four-piston brembo brake upgrade is pretty impressive. I am sure the SpecV's will brake like a mofo now with this option. I also looked at this option for my '02 Altima and the dealership has not had a chance to play around with the brakes and the Altimas to see if they will work. Maybe JaysonReliford would be a good person to ask. Since he is our resident NICO/Nissan Dealer guy, they may already be looking to this issue.

The first thing that you would want to keep in mind is wheel clearance for the new brake calipers. I am sure your stock 16's will not provide ample clearance for the caliper. The 350Z's and the SpecV's have different wheels than us (even though I have different wheels than you).

The second thing that you need to keep in mind is that you are changing the whole brake setup of your car. I assume the four-piston brake upgrade is for the front wheels only. And that you will be changing rotor sizes and need new pads. I would also suggest stainless steel brake lines and upgrade the brake fluid.

I do have to say I am very interested in this option but it will be cost prohibitive. Rob, do you think that your money will be better spent on wheels and tires? Remember, the tires on your car are the only part of your car that touches the ground. They affect your braking, handling and acceleration. Wheels and tires first may be a better upgrade path for your car. If funds allow, then you can pursue the brakes.

Bud

nlzmo400r

very good advice bud, and yes wanted i wanted to get wheels before i got these brakes, however im assuming the new spec V are 4lug again (i didnt even check that) so im assuming that would pose a problem, couldnt i use 5lug rotors with the 4piston frontcalipers of the new spec V? and also, i believe the rear calipers are 2piston, and yea i still have my lil 16 in hubbies, i keep em clean though ;), haha im looking into getting wheels by the end of they year

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

As I understand it, the calipers and pads are the same part number from the 350Z/G35 and the Spec V. I may be wrong on this, but this is what I heard.

If that is true, then you will only need the 5 lug rotors from the 350Z/G35, and the calipers/pads should be the same part number for the Sentra/350Z, so it won't matter.

This is all just speculation/word of mouth, so I'd call the dealer to verify before ordering.

nlzmo400r

thanks for the info ez, but if they are the same part number, then they're the same part? i didnt think the spec V would get brakes as good as the track model 35oZ?

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

nlzmo400r wrote:thanks for the info ez, but if they are the same part number, then they're the same part? i didnt think the spec V would get brakes as good as the track model 35oZ?

If they are the same part number, then yes, they are the same part. However, like I said, I would cross reference the part #'s first, as I'm not 100% sure they are the same.

nlzmo400r

o, ill have to do that, i just didnt think they'd offer the same brakes from a top of the line flagship like the Z on a sub 2ok car like the spec V, which of course would be cool with me ;), but the brembos is almost the only thing thta seperates the track model from the lower models, that and hte wheels as far as exterior (and that lil lip thing)

93RPS13
Car: Cars, Girls, Cars, Food

so did you find out that there the same part? also are the 350z and 300zx brake lines the same?

nlzmo400r

the spec V brembo's are the same as the rear brembos on teh 35o i belieive, also, no the 3oozx and 35o brake lines are different

93RPS13

will it hook up to a S13? thanks

nlzmo400r

the new spec V brembos? yes, with the right lines, and the right rims, and worse case scenario, get new rotors, they're cheap

93RPS13

i sorry i meant will the line hook up, or do you know anyone that make custom lines?

nlzmo400r

i dont know anyone in boston that makes custom lines, but im sure if u asked around, someone would probably refer u to someone else and u could talk prices with them, why not just get some bigger braided lines and take them to someone for a custom fit?

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

The Brembos on the 04 Spec V are a $1K option that only includes the front two. The roters are not cross drilled or slotted.:(

nlzmo400r

i noticed, it onyl had front brembos' the rear's are brakes off of the maxima

AllTurBo

nlzmo400r wrote:o, ill have to do that, i just didnt think they'd offer the same brakes from a top of the line flagship like the Z on a sub 2ok car like the spec V, which of course would be cool with me ;), but the brembos is almost the only thing thta seperates the track model from the lower models, that and hte wheels as far as exterior (and that lil lip thing)

I think the track model also comes standard with an LSD. I think it's an option on the lower models, but I could be wrong. I think I remeber reading that somewhere.

nlzmo400r

yep, you're right, the track model comes with LSD and also TCS, the base model doesnt have TCS standard, or the LSD

jEzTeR

jEzTeR

It says that thaey are vented but you can't tell by that photo.

nlzmo400r

i noticed that too Dane, on the sticker it said vented, when i looked around for about 5 minutes or so without seeing any vents whatsoever

GatorS14
Car: 93/s13/white,96/s14/crashed...ask about parts

$19 that is alot,$1,000 more and you could get a srt-4.(if you wanted more hp & tq).

jEzTeR

It was 19,7xx.xx. $1k is just the brembos. I paid $19k for mine in 02 including tax/title/transfer and window tint.It has the sound system and sunroof(the only options). But yeah if you wanted a Neon they are about the same price.

nlzmo400r

but still, its a neon, i dunno, each man to his own, i wouldnt consider an SRT-4 over a SpecV

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

nlzmo400r wrote:i noticed that too Dane, on the sticker it said vented, when i looked around for about 5 minutes or so without seeing any vents whatsoever

Front rotors are "vented" in the middle of the rotor. Regular people don't consider this venting, but it is. Pick any car you want, and the front brake rotors will employ some venting feature in between the friction surfaces of the rotor. Rear rotors on most passenger cars will be solid.

Rotors are either vented, slotted, cross-drilled, or solid(found on read axle). OR in combinations.

The dark spaces in between the two friction surfaces...those are open areas to vent heat. There are many different "designs" of these vents, from "straight" vents, which form a straight line outward from the hub to the rotor edge, and some that "swirl". There are also other styles.

SmithSR

Again, notice the vacant area in between the friction surfaces.

http://www.smothers.com/specials/powerstop.html"A vented rotor can be viewed as a fan. When in motion, the vents draw air from the center of the rotor outward. The air flow, over an increased internal surface area, very efficiently dissipates heat."

http://www.hayes-lemmerz.com/p....html"The full cast vented rotor is one component of a complex brake system. It consists of an inboard and outboard braking surface which are separated by ribs or veins"

"The vent area between the braking surfaces allows air to flow for cooling, while also maintaining strength."

SmithSR

Best picture I can find. The open spaces are the vents, and you can bet your car has them. :ylsuper

jEzTeR

Nice information! I would think that the Brake upgrade(Brembos) would come with slotted, cross drilled, and vented roters when the price tag gets into the 1K range.Then again it is a dealer option.

SmithSR

Yes, dealer doubling at it's finest... Beware, though. Cross-drilled rotors actually remove surface area...serving one purpose(gas exit), while creating a need for greater diameter rotor, to compensate for the missing friction surface. Take away surface material here...must enlarge the rotor's size to maintain the same friction surface area.

A mildly uprated brake system(just like what we have on the new spec) is ideal for a dealer. Less complaints about the <real> gouging that would take place when brembo cross-drilled rotors cannot be "turned" and must be replaced at every brake job. Paying the huge markup on brembo rotors every 25Kmiles will have many sentra owners ready to flamethrow and/or firebomb the dealership. (since dealer will insist upon mating new pads to a new rotor surface, and turning is not possible)

This makes the smooth faced brembo rotor quite appealing....to me at least.

nlzmo400r

you have very good points there, but whenever they cross drill rotors, what if they didnt have to 'cross' drill them, perhaps make a pattern that the rotors wuold be turned at every brake job instead of buying new ones, im sure its possible some how, and i know it wont be as effective of dissapaiting heat like the crossdrilled, but for hte amount of money i'd save on being able to turn them, sounds like an idea

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”