The Rogue life.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I have to admit that I actually got this 09 Rogue in my 40’s. It was a blast modding it.

Only if I had YouTube and this forum growing up in the 80’s, I could of had MORE fun maintaining cars since I didn’t know diddly squat on how to fix them. I only knew about changing oil.

Now my body is not what it use to be, and a lot of people dropping dead at my age or even decades younger. Most of the musicians I listen too already died younger than me. Many recently these past few years.

I dread the day my rogue dies, but it was fun while it lasted. Just like life.

I’m not one of those people thinking about retirement trying to live as old as I can.

People think about the future too much and want to live to 100.

Hell no! Im living life now babbby!

Who wants to be 100 with creaky bones and unwell watching life from a wheelchair or whatever, sitting there wishing you were just 50 yrs younger.

The future is now! I’m living it. :domo:

This is being back in time, living it. 2nd chance.

Smelling the roses!

Woohoo! Everyday is a gift. Thank you god!
I think of my future as months ahead.
No need for a terrible disease or living through a mass shooting to live life. So many got the bad end of the stick and I know one day I will be sitting in a hospital dying or will just drop. Being in scrubs attached to life sustaining machines with nurse around you. That’s no party. So I’m awake now.

I thank all those sick people who you see in real life or in the news that tell you to live life now to the fullest. The people who lost loved ones in unfortunate circumstances to hug your family. Youtube got some really sad stuff too. Whoa. Life can be unfair.

Plus, I got a pre-teen and younger kids when they should be in their thirties. So I’m trying to keep up. :runover:

In other words, this old fart needs less car maintenance!

:boink:

If u read this far. Hey thanks.
Happy memorial and let’s thank those who gave up their life so we can live in freedom in this great country! :dogpile: :BnB:

casperfun

:cheers: :domo: :cheers:
Last edited by casperfun on Mon May 30, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Hey, how come no rear-facing work lights?

(Uh-oh, what did I do now? :ohno: )

casperfun

I have 2 decorative lights on top and 2 below my bumper. Those long rectangular things.

I have a hard time giving piggy backs already.

All my lights are non working & decorative except my amber driving lights. :whistle:

But it’s a great idea to blind tail-gaters, but I don’t wanna risk getting shot at in this crazy world. :ohno: :nono:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I think it would be legal if you only used them on Peugeots and Citroens.
Then they'd be rear window de-froggers.
:lolling:

FlawleZ
Car: 1992 Nissan 300ZX TT
1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
2017 Nissan Titan SV 4x4

Do you have a list of your mods? Any pics of it off road?

Happy memorial day!

casperfun

FlawleZ wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 7:33 am
Do you have a list of your mods? Any pics of it off road?

Happy memorial day!
There use to be a website with all my mods. It’s gone now unfortunately, darn it!

I guess I can go down memory lane and list most of them in a general sense.

1. Bullbar by black horse in the first year. Here’s the reason. So I was parked behind a huge truck that was basically backed into it’s space and I was behind it in my newish Rogue. So this dumb driver backs into me and busted my plastic license plate protector and dented my plate. Ever since, I never had anybody bump my front bumper for the last 13 years.
2. Nerf bars by black horse , so short people and kids could climb in I guess. For looks actually when I got it. My second favorite mod. Nobody likes tubes on their rogue and in the 13 years I never saw bull-bars and practically zero nerf bars on Rogues. Rarely any and a better chance seeing a unicorn in real life. These probably actually prevents some door dings after my lift.
3. Rear tube by black horse, basically like the front, never had a car scuffed the rear for 13 years since.
4. Home Depot gutter guard to protect lower grill from pebbles hitting the AC condenser. Did one higher up too but removed them.
5. Plastic hood protector off eBay.
6. Vent visors, not the famous one. Originally got generic ok ones, but the visual line break in the middle I was not feeling, so I got new ones from Canada I believe where it seems more continuous.
7. I got a roof light bar that sits behind the sunroof. Back in the day they didn’t have led yet, so I got these cheap a$$ golf cart lights that attaches with 3M tape. Literally $89. I got them for a off-road look. Back in the day, it looked fire in those days. I kinda like the old school look, half the lights don’t work. Purely decorative. Basically useless and not bright. One of my favorite mods in the beginning.
8. Installed 3 cameras. A full time high rear view hd camera under my spoiler, as my rear view mirror. I was ahead of my time, this was a decade ago and it still works, I did replace this cam once to fix it. A baby rear view camera- because I once tap a car at a light trying to turn around and look at my child. Lastly, a rear back up cam.
9. Of course a 3 input rear view video mirror. I can monitor the high rear camera, baby cam, music videos or movies from my pioneer stereo simultaneously. Three square videos going across. I use to be able to pick what camera and use the whole screen but the remote broke.
10. Two 10.5 inch rear DVD players attached to the headrest. DVD was great but it was even better with wireless than I upgraded to a hmdi iPhone connector until Apple upgrades made it useless. Kids use to love watching YouTube in the back.
11. Pioneer with a video screen for rear cam/music/videos.
12. Upgraded all 4 speakers, holy crap I didn’t know I was missing out on the good life. When my oem left driver speaker was getting staticky, after replacement, it was like going from full analog to high definition digital. Big improvement. I found out like the oem were cheap 20 watt garbage. I have 80 or 100 watts now. Funny thing is after installing the pioneer system, I already had a big improvement in sound. But wow on the new speakers. Anything is better then oem. YouTube sounds awesome. Well I have to use the aux jacks now because of the dumb Apple upgrades I mentioned earlier.
13. Front and rear dash-cams, different models. Cheap. Rear one acting up. Front hard wired and rear uses adaptor.
14. Probably a decade old Garmin gps that I like still using. This also has that special blue tooth version where I can have digital gauges of typical readouts. I also use it as a cheap a$$ code scanner that I still use today. Help me figure out all of my repairs actually.
15. Portable fan, broke so removed it.
16. 4 Multi tap cigarette lighter adaptor and another 2 tap accessory adaptor installed on one of the 4 tap inputs for my many accessories.
17. Walmart steering wheel cover.
18. Sunroof visor. For looks. Prevent wind draft I guess. The sunroof actually exploded out of nowhere. An actual phenomenon that can happen. I ordered a used one on eBay. Still haven’t installed it but the glass is gorilla taped for now.
19. Custom 2.5 inch color matched body-side molding. First they were the usual 1 inch you usually get. I actually removed them all after damaging the left rear passenger door because I hit a mailbox backing up. Got bored so I thought I get the fatter custom 2.5 inch versions I came across online by chance. Again for the rugged look even though it won’t protect door dings which why I usually try to park away from crappy cars who don’t care.
20. Black vinyl rocker panel decal that visually breaks apart towards the rear. Hardly seen at the bottom but more noticeable after the lift.
21. 20% tint in front driver/passenger windows, illegal but light enough not to notice or cops don’t care. 5% limo tint in rear windows and cargo area over the oem tint.
22. Window sun strip on windshield that I had to remove twice because it would fail inspection. Found a loophole where it is allowed as long as a decal was embedded in it. So I had the installer stick this religious cross decal under the tint. Never had problems passing inspection since, but tint guy didn’t go as close to the as1 mark, not happy but it was low enough I guess. Useful through the years with the sun. Weird law.
23. Led rear back up lights, license plate lights. Dealership always failed my inspection so I removed them. Not legal here, but then I went to an independent garage and my guy never fails them so I kept using the led bulbs.
24. Plasti dip emblems but removed it from the front. I did redo the circular emblem up front when I found out those were actually removable. Who knew.
25. Plasti dip lower portion of front bumper for protection and looks. Outlined it with black side molding.
26. Plasti dip the circle emblem in rear as a square to camouflage the scratches I made when I closed the garage on my rear hatch during my lift installation. Also stuck some straight decal stripes under the rear handle to hide the scratches created down the center there too.
27. Plasti dip the word Rogue.
28. Plasti dip my gas door.
29. Plasti dip my side mirrors.
30. Placed naked chrome metal girl decal sitting on the SLawd letters. Trucky feel?
31. Rear bumper frame that flashes during sudden stops. Got it like 12 years ago and the thing still works. I’m sure it saved me many times without me knowing since it works in the background.
32. Thicker side-moldings to place on lower rear window for looks.
33. Cheap plastic mirror shields.
34. Cheap blind spot mirrors.
35. Bought cheap garden dividers and 3M taped them to my wheel wells for fake fenders or whatever.
36. Added black side moldings to thicken it up on the those garden dividers.
37. Bought these really thick side moldings around the wheel well for that off-road look on eBay. Got from China.
38. Black towel on top of dashboard to reduce windshield glare.
39. A few floor mats on top of each other for the hell of it. Cheap sound deadening I guess.
40. Rear cargo rubber liner and a few mats there too etc.
41. A roof basket that I had to find a perfect size to literally just barely fit on top because I wanted to keep my cheap roof light bar. I had to spray truck liner and seal it because these cheap baskets are notorious for water rust. I keep it on 24/7 year round with no problems. I had the mcguyver the front oem roof rack because of the light bars. Here’s a story, I previously had a 12 inch long atv basket before with my fire extinguisher on top. Funny thing happened once where a young African American lady said and I paraphrase ” that’s mutherf$/?in ghostbusters!” while driving through a strip mall parking lot. :rotfl
42. Cheap kid shovel in basket for off-road look. Lolz.
43. Of course a red fire extinguisher just in case I need to save somebody in a burning car, either that or for an off-road look.
44. Decorative rear circle led lights from Walmart on rear of basket. Had long rectangular ones up there from Walmart too but placed those below my bumper.
45. One earth ground strip and 2 fake ones I made from the hardware store. The real one barely touches the road after the lift. Supposedly prevents static or nausea on long trips. I got it for looks. One guy honked at me because he saw them dragging then realized it was suppose to be there. As mentioned earlier, I attached the rectangular lights to the fake ground strips.
46. Curb feelers because I thought I could prevent curb rash. Too short but kept them for looks because I’m too cheap to throw them away.
47. Speaking of cheap, most of my mods like the tubes were from eBay cost around $99 give or take a few bucks. Cheap stuff really.
48. Cheap seat covers. Bench covers.
49. Chrome tire caps I bought long ago.
50. Front & back tint plastic license plate protectors, actually illegal but I’ve been ok lately the past many years.
51. Seat cushion
52. Cheap back cushion.
53. Cushion covers on my roof rails for the heck of it.
54. A big roof mount cushion on side of my basket as a fake canopy accessory look.
55. Tied a rope on bottom of bull-bar as a fake winch look. Center hardware store anchor zip tied in the middle.
56. Two other anchors zip tied outside the center one for looks again.
57. Real driving lights on bull-bar with amber covers to be better seen at night and to see signs better too.
58. Fake center anchor hook on rear bumper.
59. Under car handle matte black scuff protectors.
60. Circle dot lights on door hinge that flash when you open door and Batman logo ground light. Can change into lots of logos. Both dead because battery died. Cover missing on 1 logo light.
61. Long CB antenna but since I like parking in a garage, I shoved and bent it into the basket.
62. Another small cb antenna shoved into the front bull-bar. All decorative of course.
63. Firestone airbag system in the rear springs with inflation valve near center anchor decoration.
64. A lift kit I finally craved for over a decade that I found on eBay from Russia. 1.5 inch spacers front, 1.75 inch spacers in the rears. They say anything under 2 inches does not affect the geometric symmetry of the suspension and is within normal oem specs for articulation. New Firestone air bags were replaced since I destroyed the other ones while doing the lift. I personally installed the front spacers. The rear was much harder so I had a mobile mechanic help me install one but quit right in the middle because he couldn’t align a damn screw. He also banged up his hands a bit bloody too. So I had my kid eventually help me on that passenger rear coil spacer. I didn’t know coil springs were that dangerous so my 100lb soaking wet holding a brick a$$ had to finish installing the last spring. I rented spring compressors, a heavy duty ratchet set, and a dozen 100lb rated zip ties which was over 1000lb per square inch strength for the ties alone. All three as safety measures I learned on YouTube. So after mcguyvering the spring into place using more more ratchets to move my suspension parts and also a tire jack to get even more room to shove the spacers on top of the spring; my weak self was finally successful. I was pretty proud of completing that project because I started when the pandemic began last Feb 2020. It took weeks or 1 month because I did each step one day at a time. The rear coil spring spacers were the hardest of course.
65. Adjustable sway bar links that fortunately were a perfect fit to bolt in from eBay even though it wasn’t the right size stated on the listing. I tried getting the biggest one offered but it was actually a perfect fit. Brand is called Godspeed which was a godsend to me.
66. Still I added coil durashock spring spacers for ride quality and booster blocks for a tiny boost and for more absorbing shocking power. Spring spacers but no blocks in the rear though. It keeps the turns tight and hopefully make my 13 yr old oem struts last longer up front.
67. I could only add 1 high angle boot on the passenger side but got a new drivers cv axle because I messed up the boot repair on that one. No space for a high angle boot.
68. Motegi MR139 rally racing wheels.
69. 235/70/r16 Toyo open country III end caps won’t fit front so I use Velcro and sticky black sealing stuff which wasn’t enough. Recently replaced one since it fell off and now use the white wall mounting squishy things.
70. US Flag black decal on small rear windows. Like the understated look where you can miss it but see it if you really want too.
71. Rear dog seat protector for a over 100lb big German Shepard.
72. Special limited black decal, stars. and vinyl tape to cover scratches here and there.
73. Cheap lights that flash on the floorboards to the sound of music that I got from my sister for Christmas.
74. Old air freshener with playboy logo my young daughter gave me. She doesn’t know the significance of the magazine and probably found it lying around the house and just saw a bunny.
75. Dash-cam recording decal in rear. 95% of time people give me space in the rear at stoplights.
76. Old deer high pitch sonic whistles on front grill installed long ago. My red neck off road mod.
77. Just recently last week a Valvomax drain system to replace my magnetic drain plug for easier oil drains.
78. My old filtermag rusted to crap but I do have a circular end magnet in my ultra fram longer version oil filter.
79. Longer than oem 24f Duralast battery. Used yellow tops but got rid of the last one because the advance auto guy said it was going bad but I didn’t know for sure since I wasn’t shown the readout. It was during my starter issues which I replaced that with a non- refurbished new one in late 2020.
80. Rear US flag on my basket for the final patriotic off-road look.
81. Rubber lip on bottom of front bumper. 3M some cheap stuff from the hardware store probably.
82. My kid’s cheap bicycle cam acting as a fake go-pro mounted camera on my rear cargo basket.

Didn’t want to space the numbers because it would make this post even more damn long looking.

I guess you can see the overall theme I was trying to achieve which was converting the everyday bubble Nissan Rogue grocery mom-mobile into a off-road vehicle or at least make it look tougher which eventually became know as the apocalypse Nissan Rogue vehicle in here. My inner truck I guess you might say. The goal was a tough, rugged look. I also got alot of inspiration from crosstreks.

I don’t have off-road pictures just the occasional rocky path at a local park. My rogue is mainly for looks as you can see everything is kinda fake.

Moreover, I would not trust these polyurethane rubber spacers from Russia and would be afraid that they might crumble if I bang them too much. They are not like real ones made by Readylift or other professional companies in America.

Many years I get compliments with some not knowing what to think of it. A lot of double takes and praises while in many parking lots through the years. I don’t get as much as before since it’s almost 13yrs old. But I did get a recent comment last week from a young gentleman who was at a skate park with his Jeep (a nice mid-size red modern owned version ) and he said that My vehicle was sick looking and that he never saw a Rogue like that. I saw that as a compliment from a Jeep owner. Lolz

That’s most I can think of which brings a nice memory of all the blood, sweat, and tears modding throughout the years. The happy completion of doing all these mods were very satisfying. Except for any electrical work on the radio install and lights, I did all the other mods myself.

If anybody got this far, thanks for the read. This was mainly for FlawleZ request. Since you asked, I try to go down memory lane and respond. :dblthumb: :naughty:

casperfun

Forgot to mention:

83. Extended my mud-flaps. I found some rubber sheets in my garage, so I cut out a bigger shape using my oem mounting holes as a guide on the original flaps and stuck the extra flap under the Nissan’s. Kinda like a backup flap to stop more dirt.

84. Also I have a prong o-ring terminal cable that is attached to my battery under my hood so I can attach it to my maintainer easily. The attachment is peeking out near the wiper blade.

85. A traveling clothing bar attached to the ceiling handles. For hanging cloths, kids pulling themselves up, balance themselves etc.

86. A pretty solid black metal emblem that says Sport on the right passenger door.

87. Two wide angled fender racing stripes for the heck of it placed on the driver’s side.

88. Rust converter on minor rust on the underside of the frame. Spray or with a toothbrush.

89. Cushion bought from eBay, I placed on top of armrest, but is falling apart.

90. Tiny plastic amber reflectors attached on top of tint shield covering my plate since their kinda the same color scheme.

:wavey: :dance

casperfun

91. Forgot the 2 long red reflectors on my bottom bumper.
92. Two small rectangular red reflectors on my mud flaps that I tried removing after adding the other reflectors on my lower bumper, but I couldn’t remove them. They feel like their welded on now.

:crazy:

casperfun

93. Ok, some cheap air hood scoops I had no where to place so I stuck it near the top of the plasti dip area on the front bumper. The one on the other side fell off.

94. A USA blue eagle flag or America grille badge that I stuck on the lower air grill. It’s that circle thing.

I think that list comprises most if not all of the entire 13 years of mods with the wheels and tires being my last big gift to my loyal rogue ride.

Thanks in part that my original cvt didn’t implode on me.

:mike

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Wow that's quit a list!!
Beautiful Rogue too!

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Nice looking Rogue! That is quite the mod list.

TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

@Casperfun . . .

Looking good!

Lots to read on your list.

I am thinking your bull bars make a lot of sense. But I am not sure how much more I'm putting into our 2011 Rogue. LOL.

Hey.

I remember reading a post about your sunroof breaking.

How hard was it to replace?

I'm envious of your roof rack. I like the look if it. I was going to do that to ours. I have the rack that I used on our minivan for camping. But I'm just too cheap (maybe also too lazy LOL) to track down cross bars to go on our roof rails. LOL. I would totally love a roof rack like that on ours. :)

That and a 2inch hitch. I'm just too cheap (again insert lazy) to get around to putting one on. LOL.

Take care!
TheRogue
:)

casperfun

If you occasionally like carrying alot of stuff around, a roof basket is really practical.

Many moons ago I actually purchased imitation oem crossbars from eBay.

Just measure what you need and buy a roof basket on eBay. They got some affordable ones for cheapskates like us. :bowrofl:

Baskets are so easy to install.

Just google off-road Crosstreks to get some ideas and inspiration. Just being able to carry extra gear around on a trip is a nice benefit. Prices vary on nice ones.

I also heard some Rogues are pre-wired for a hitch, not sure about yours though. Another great option to tow more gear.

I still have the sunroof in the box, but from watching YouTube, it looks fairly easy to screw in. :wavey:

Got a compliment from a hubby telling his wife that the rear looks pretty cool when walking by while picking up their kid from a bus stop.

Also got a recent compliment last Friday night from a security guy and a off-duty cop working with him while picking up my kids at a roller rink.

They said they never saw a rogue like that, and thought it was nice looking and would ask me for help if they ever get stuck in mud.

I said thanks, but only if they knew it just looks like a a mini off-road monster. :bigthumb:

TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

@casperfun

When you get around to doing the sunroof, take pictures! :) And post. With yours breaking its got me curious.

RE: Basket
I got the basket already. I had to buy it to use on our minivan for a camping trip. I just need the cross bars to attached to my roof rails. I have been thinking of getting a generic set from Princess Auto so I can potentially take the cross bars to our next vehicle down the road as well (if it has roof rails.)

RE: Hitch, I can find cheap new hitches. But they are all 1-3/8" ? Not 2". The problem for me is I don't have any accessories yet. No bike rack. So it is the chicken and the egg problem. LOL. But when I start down that road I am thinking I want 2" because if we get a truck it will be 2".

RE: Plasti Dip
I have been thinking about Plasti Dip'ing the bottoms of my doors.

I finally got around to taking off the plastic guards to deal with the rust on the bottoms of the doors. Luckily only 1 door had started to develop rust. Not all the way through, so I was able to sand off the rust. Treat. Prime. Paint. Clear coat it. I also took off the rubber guards on the rear wheel wells. Lots of surface rust there.

But I used silver paint. What I had left over from my 2000 Nissan Altima. But mainly because I can't seem to get the light blue paint Nissan uses here in Canada. Paint code FAF.

But I am thinking rocks are going to keep getting kicked up and hitting the bottom of the doors now. LOL. So it got me to thinking about how you Plasti Dip your car. I could do that to the bottom of my car doors.

Take care!
TheRogue
:)

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

:mike Rock on!

excel_novice
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV Hybrid

i never like the looks of the bubbly rogues, but i do like yours.
#83 do it yourself mud-flaps. i like it. why didn't i think of that?
#13 does your dash cam overheat in the summer sun?
since you mentioned that it reminded someone of the ghostbusters...you could add something to pay homage to the Ecto1

casperfun

I never had a problem with my front Dashcam during the summer. It’s a cheap Viofo that’s still running for several hot summers.

I also have a cheaper Pruveeo rear cam that turns on late if at all. Glitchy for some reason. Not too worried. Never ever had a rear accident.

Moreover, I also have a rear decal that says dash cam recording. Got that idea from a forum a long time ago where I learned drivers kept their best behavior when behind you after seeing it. At stop lights people usually give a car length space behind you and very rarely does a douchebag ride your bumper. I like the psychology of how the decal works the same when you see a ring camera. Usually normal people won’t do any funny business knowing they’re being recorded. :slap:

I’ll add a ghostbuster decal on my next future eBay purchases to stick on my rear window for the hell of it since I’m bored and have nothing to repair lately. :inoutgay:

It’s actually pink to contrast the indigo blue.

Return to “Rogue Forum”