The Q vs. the M

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't delved deep enough into both of these cars to really know where they differ, so I figure this would be a good place to get some good opinions. I don't mind a little bias toward the M either, since I know less about it than the Q.

So, how do the 2 cars compare? Why does the Q cost so much more, given they share the same drivetrain? What features does one have that the other does not?

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

DAEDALUS wrote:So, how do the 2 cars compare? Why does the Q cost so much more, given they share the same drivetrain? What features does one have that the other does not?
Hmmm, lots of possible answers to that one. Here is a brief starter comparison (my comments are for the 2003/2004 M45 compared to the 2004 Q45 - my bosses - since I do not have any experience with the 2006 M35/45!):

1. The M is lighter by a little bit. Has stronger acceleration as a result.

2. The Q is larger (width and length) by a little bit. More leg room in the back - the M is almost a bit cramped by comparison.

3. Lots more luxury items in the Q. The rear reclining seats (!) is a simple example of that. Another is the integrated window shades in the rear and rear sides.

4. More plush and comfy seats in the Q. Wider too because of the wider car, so more arm room (so to speak.)

5. Much softer suspension in the Q. More geared towards highway softness than canyon performance.

6. Shorter wheelbase in the M (certainly the 2003/2004).

7. I think the M has tighter steering too. Much better road feel.

I think the Q45 fills a particular spot that does make sense - price and otherwise. Although, not surprisingly enough, a loaded M would have been comparable in price to a spartan non-Premium Q45 - the various packages add a lot of cost.

The 2003 M reminds me far more of the 1991 Q that I had (in terms of performance) than the 2004 Q.

Z

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Thanks Z! More leg room in the rear of the Q? Not much there to begin with. Love the reclining rear seats, the rear camera, and the power rear sunshade. They're fun gadgets that are sure to impress friends and confound enemies, but really, not things I would use much, except maybe the shade. I like the plush seats of the Q, the AC seats of the M, and probably lean more toward the sporty ride of the M.Regarding price, beyond the M vs. Q surprise, I was amazed that a fully decked out M35 costs as much as a M45! Choices, choices. My commuting is increasing 30-50% in less than a month, to a whopping 7,000 miles/year maybe. Probably not enough to warrant another car, but dreaming is free. Dealership had a GORGEOUS burgundy M on the floor. I could only afford a used 2002/2003 at best though.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

If you were asking about F50 vis a vis Y50, the answers would be quite different.

szh

maxnix wrote:If you were asking about F50 vis a vis Y50, the answers would be quite different.
Definitely!

That is why I clarified early that I was talking about the 2003/2004 M45 - which is all I have knowledge of at the moment.

Z

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I still believe the M45 03/04 is one of the most outsanding values new or used!

Fred..

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

I was at training earlier today at the dealership (yes I'm going back if you haven't heard), and I noticed for the first time that a loaded M45 comes at the same price as a Q. My boss said the Q has been virtually pointless in the lineup ever since the M's popularity skyrocketed.

An interesting note he made... He's been keeping track of the "M" buyers' previous cars by simply asking each customer at the end of each deal which car they drove before the M. 44% came from BMW's. He's asked that question 56 times so far

szh

Hi, Evan.
Ev_eezy wrote:I was at training earlier today at the dealership (yes I'm going back if you haven't heard),
Same one in Sacramento?
Ev_eezy wrote:I noticed for the first time that a loaded M45 comes at the same price as a Q.
I knew that was true for the older M45, but was not sure about the new M45. Thanks for the confirmation!
Ev_eezy wrote:An interesting note he made... He's been keeping track of the "M" buyers' previous cars by simply asking each customer at the end of each deal which car they drove before the M. 44% came from BMW's. He's asked that question 56 times so far
Awesome! Maybe we can convince a few more at the NorCal meet in Pleasanton on the 23rd. Apparently, it is heavily attended by Bimmer owners. We must give them reason to switch to an M45!

Z

szh

PalmerWMD wrote:I still believe the M45 03/04 is one of the most outsanding values new or used!
Totally agreed!

I do not know if you remember, but I got mine new (admittedly not loaded) at about the same price as a new G35 Coupe! Heck of a deal as far as I was concerned.

Z

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Good thread!

i gotta drive one of these bad boys.....

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

szhosain wrote:Same one in Sacramento?Z
Concord actually: Niello Infiniti

szh

Ev_eezy wrote:Concord actually: Niello Infiniti
Oh, right, yes!

It was the Acura place in Sacramento, related to Niello, that you had mentioned in an older post.

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”