The Phantom towing prewire.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
petegent8

Anyone been able to locate the SL premium package towing prewire location? (Or get a staight answer from the dealer or Nissan USA because I can`t)

philipa_240sx

Other members with the premium pack have never found a 4pin trailer harness on thier vehicles... so far. If it was anywhere, it would be either under the rear bumper or in the spare tire area. Member jellsberg got her Rogue with the hitch and harness completely installed. The 4pin connector is to the left the hitch:

zerothread/323317

The rest of likely need Nissan's trailer harness (part no: 999T8-GU000) that consists of some connectors and the trailer harness to the tune of $150 USD.

As for non-premium pack model, I have first hand experience as I tore into it today to install my trailer wiring. There is a 2 pin power connector on the left side of the cargo area... underneath the bin that stores the tow hook (you need to unbolt and remove the bin). It's a constant 12V source for accessory power.

There is a cheaper option than Nissan's harness. I used the accessory power above to power a DrawTite trailer wiring converter (part #119175). The converter isolates the trailer lighting with relays so it won't blow any fuses and it converts the signals to the standard 4 wire trailer wiring harness. Armed with Nissan's trailer wiring insructions (Nissan Service Bulletin NTB04-049e), I then tapped into the existing wiring for the tailights. Being a bit anal, l also soldered all of my connections and carefully wrapped them with electrical tape. I then routed the trailer harness into the bin that stores tow hook by drilling a 1" hole though the side of the bin itself. This way I can coil the harness and hide it when not needed. The install took about an hour and the converter is about $25USD. I will be posting a step-by-step FAQ at some point.

petegent8

Good info thanks. Especially on the cheaper option. So it sounds like even if you have the sl premium package prewire you will still have to slice and dice. They make it sound like it is a plug in option that goes with the package. The dealer was uninformed. Even the rep at Nissan usa was vague and gave me a general answer that it was in the rear exterior under the bumper. I don`t see it and he has not returned my follow up call. I was hoping not to have to splice wires but if I don`t find it soon I gues I will have to. Got to get that jetski in the water soon. Thanks again.

AndyP
Car: '08 Rogue SL AWD - Gotham Gray, R/B

I had my dealer install the branded trailer harness on my SL AWD w/premium package and it took them TWO DAYS. It was a bit pricey but the cost was about the same as buying it as an option from the factory. Whatever they said about that pre-wiring business on the premium package, in reality it must be very minimal. My dealer said something about having to order the wiring for the trailer hitch (additional wiring presumably) from Memphis, TN (I live in east Texas), as though there was some big 'to do' about it. The final product actually looks pretty nice with the little power point on the left side. Fortunately they used a generic black rubber plug on the connection point instead of the dealer's truly ugly advertisement plug.

amr40509

AndyP wrote:I had my dealer install the branded trailer harness on my SL AWD w/premium package and it took them TWO DAYS.
Wow, it should take about 15-30min to make a clean splice in with an 'all purpose' 4 pin set up from Wal-Mart (I think they are about $15) on ANY modern (having working tail/break lights) car.

philipa_240sx

I am now convinced the pre-wire is just that. A simple power harness & connector hidden on the left side of the cargo area, underneath the storage bin. You then need to buy the actual harness from Nissan and plug it in to the tail lights and the power connector.

BTW, my trailer wiring harness works great. No issues with the Drawtite converter. I have yet to post my install... once a get some time I will.
amr40509 wrote:Wow, it should take about 15-30min to make a clean splice in with an 'all purpose' 4 pin set up from Wal-Mart (I think they are about $15) on ANY modern (having working tail/break lights) car.
See my earlier post above. The Drawtite converter was cheap, $25!

Return to “Rogue Forum”