The Official Altima Melting Dashboard Thread

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!

Is your dashboard melting like those pictured in this thread?

Yes, Coupe (2008-2009)
41%
Yes, Coupe (2010-2013)
5%
No, Coupe (2008-09)
10%
No, Coupe (2010-2013)
8%
Yes, Sedan (post your model year)
32%
No, Sedan (post your model year)
5%

Total votes: 63

keshiababyy
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

My dashboard is sticky and shiny in certain parts and it makes it difficult to drive in the sun because of the glare from the stickiness. What can I do or put on it? Is that even normal? I mean, I live in Miami so it's pretty hot but car should be able to withstand that.

SHIFT_COUPE
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD

Can you post a picture of whats happening? Are you sure nobody applied something to your dash at a car wash or something?

keshiababyy

http://i48.tinypic.com/juvfdk.jpg

It's seriously an issue to drive like that. The glare is intense. :confused:

niko18

Wow, that's some heavy glare.. can't you wipe some of it off with a dry towel?

keshiababyy

There's nothing to wipe, it's just sticky. Anything I put on it, whether it's paper, cloth, whatever, it will just stick and not make a difference.

DJ_B_Easy
Car: 2017 GMC Sierra All Terrain X

I just looked at that pic again, WTH is going there? Does it smell at all? It almost looks like sap. I cant imagine what type of automotive "cleaner" would turn sticky like that.

Ahus2012
Car: 2008 nissan altima 2.5s

i just saw your post while googling to find a solution. my dash looks identical to yours. I have an 08 altima and just noticed the stickyness about a month ago after cleaning the interior for the first time in awhile. I couldnt even wipe it down(with no cleaning solution) without bits of the towel becoming stuck to the dash so i know its not a problem with the cleaner.. I live in Orlando so we have similar climates.

Thefridge98
Car: 2008 Altima coupe 3.5 SE

Same thing with my dash here in Jupiter, FL on my 08. Also with mine if you touch the areas where that film is the dash itself feels weaker and almost like its caving in. Its been this way ever since I got it from an auction a couple months ago. Was gonna just replace my dashboard but never got the time to look into it.

DJ_B_Easy

If multiple parties in FL have the same issue, maybe it really IS melting?! :ohno:

Ahus2012
Car: 2008 nissan altima 2.5s

I just found this:

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F

Not sure how i feel about putting something like that on my dash though

ETA: All 3 in florida, all 3 2008 Altimas...

r3dbullz90
Car: 08 coupe with 8k HIDs and pioneer avh-p1400dvd, debadged, nightshade taillights.

mine is doing the same thing... auburndale florida... sticky and actually starting to possibly peal???

Neueregel

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe and my Dash is doing the exact same thing. I live in West Palm Beach, FL.

What recourse do we have?

Exact thing happening to multiple Altimas hardly a coincidence.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Well it's official - Altima Coupes are allergic to Florida.

NoLimitAltima
Car: Altima Coupe

i live in florida and none of my cars or altima have had that happen

MadziMambo
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima

Anyone have any actual recommendations regarding this? I am also in FL (South FL) with a 2008 Altima, which also has the "melting dash". Sun could be one factor, but I doubt it's the only one. I don't know what type of rubberized material these dashboard surfaces are made of, but it seems that any sort of cleaner that is applied results in them dissolving/melting into a goo, which has a very shiny and very sticky surface. I will upload some pics later, but mine is very similar to the OP, maybe worse though. And I just left a Meguiar's, where I think the problem started (the 'touchup' guy used a rag he had previously used on the wheels, on the dash).

Regards and any tips or resurfacing/restoration recommendations appreciated. Even if anyone just knows what the substance of the dashboard is, I'd be grateful. This reminds me of when my BMX bike handlebars got grease (from hands no doubt) on them and would 'melt' or get sticky and pill up and basically be worse than useless. I hope Nissan didn't make a dashboard that has no chance of surviving an "everyday" car wash...

MadziMambo

DJ_B_Easy

Interesting.

This is becoming an epidemic. Why is this all happening at once though? Im counting 3 n00b posts in here, people who joined since this thread was started and found it through Google looking for solutions? Somebody unloaded a shipment of sketchy ACs on FL.

Thefridge98
Car: 2008 Altima coupe 3.5 SE

My car is 15% tint all around as well. But mine was already starting when I got it back in september of 2012. Got it at an auction and it came from a nissan dealership which they used it as a loaner car for people leaving their cars for service. The florida sun is very unforgiving to say the least on anything and everything.. since i tinted my windows i haven't noticed it getting any worse.

davest
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S Coupe

In all seriousness I am having the same issue (Live in a hot weather climate as well).

Did anyone figure out a real solution to this yet? And if so can you please share as this issue is sort of annoying. The way I figure it I have a few options, none are great or easy.
Thanks.
Dave

armandescobar
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE 6MT
2013 10 Series Scion FR-S 6MT

Just bought an 08 2.5s a/c two weeks ago. In Florida, brevard county(where the shuttles go off)

Same problem with my dash. I thought it was a cleaner the detailer put on it when I was buying it and they were courtesy detailing. I asked another detailer about it and they said this isn't the first time they've seen this problem in any car, no matter the year. Seems to be because if the material it is made from, it's not even plastic it's a rubbery material. Only recommendation he had was to cover it with a dash cover. It sucks cuz of the sun in FL hitting it and the glare that reflects on the windshield.

On another note, I was trying to get the dash speaker grilles out when I got home from school, and the whole dash area smelled like burning rubber. :s

RicerX

armandescobar wrote:Just bought an 08 2.5s a/c two weeks ago. In Florida, brevard county(where the shuttles go off)

Same problem with my dash. I thought it was a cleaner the detailer put on it when I was buying it and they were courtesy detailing. I asked another detailer about it and they said this isn't the first time they've seen this problem in any car, no matter the year. Seems to be because if the material it is made from, it's not even plastic it's a rubbery material. Only recommendation he had was to cover it with a dash cover. It sucks cuz of the sun in FL hitting it and the glare that reflects on the windshield.

On another note, I was trying to get the dash speaker grilles out when I got home from school, and the whole dash area smelled like burning rubber. :s
Just had to stop by and say you have a cool username.

Back on topic - this dash problem seems to be almost localized to Florida. Really strange.

I would imagine that tinting the windshield is an option (you can do this in FL at least, correct?) Get some good quality tint that actually blocks UV (LLumar Formula One Pinnacle is the jam - that is currently on my Z.)

atcmiami11
Car: 2008 altima coupe

i have a 2008 altima coupe. the dashboard is melting also. this must be a factory defect. has anybody questioned nissan about it????

RicerX

welcome to NICO! This thread really pretty much has everyone in it that has experienced this issue. this thread is also the first anyone here has heard of it (or voiced that they have.)

I take it you're in FL as well? Something is weird here. Might have been a batch of bad dash boards or something. If this keeps proving to affect people, then perhaps a bump up the chain needs to be done.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I'd call 1-800-Nissan1 and ask them about it, or post this thread to their facebook page and ask.

Neueregel

I already called Nissan. They said because there is no recall, and the car is out of warranty, your on your own.

Not sure how we can get this issue to be recognized as a recall. I would assume most of these cars are out of warranty or close. Seems like the only option.

O BTW, I used the Gone and it did nothing. Magellan's = nothing.

Any other cost effective ideas, short of having the dash ripped out would be great.

I also searched for a dash cover and did not locate one that will specifically fit the 2008 Coupe dash.

Fed up, this is my last Nissan!

Just_K_
Car: 08 Nissan Altima Coupe

I have the same problem... Florida also. :(

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Hammer their facebook page. Call the NHTSA and complain that the glare is unsafe. I'll see if I can get Greg involved and if we want to get this up on google.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

what about prevention? A sun shade should keep temps down when parked. Also, tinting the windshield if you live in a hot state is an option.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Anyone else having this besides Florida? I would assume AZ, TX, etc. would experience the same problem if it's just heat related.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

joe603 wrote:what about prevention? A sun shade should keep temps down when parked. Also, tinting the windshield if you live in a hot state is an option.
It would be good to know if the people that have the melted dashes did this, but at this point it isn't going to help them.

How quickly did it happen? One blazing hot day you came out and it was melted, or was it over the course of a few months/years?

RicerX

I would also encourage anyone that has come across this thread via Google search that is experiencing the same issues with the dash to register and post up in here. The more information we can accumulate will help in reaching some form of resolution.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”