The Official Altima Melting Dashboard Thread

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!

Is your dashboard melting like those pictured in this thread?

Yes, Coupe (2008-2009)
41%
Yes, Coupe (2010-2013)
5%
No, Coupe (2008-09)
10%
No, Coupe (2010-2013)
8%
Yes, Sedan (post your model year)
32%
No, Sedan (post your model year)
5%

Total votes: 63

lon3lydr0p
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Here's a picture i snapped a few hours ago: Image

You can see the top of the vent on the right starting to melt. Like i said, the black tar from the dash has been rubbing off on my sun visor and some of it must have transferred to the vent from the visor.

Definitely seems strange that so many people in Florida are having this issue. I'm out of town on vacation for the next week but I'm going to try contacting Nissan when i get back. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue at least.

bzygmunt
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupoe

Same issue. Been following the post for a little bit now. Live in Clearwater, FL. Bought the car in 08 and noticed the shiny sticky dash starting about a year ago. Also noticing now some cracking around the center console around the radio head unit. That just started recently. Dealership said basically I'm SOL and to buy something to cover it up... go figure.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

welcome bzygmunt! I would call 1-800-Nissan1 and file a claim there. We are trying to get many people to do this to create a stir at corporate and hopefully get a resolution for you guys.

txjackie

I also found this post on Google. I have an '08 Altima coupe and I live in Texas. I've noticed that my dash is sticky and it's almost impossible to clean because any fabric (paper towel, microfiber, cloth towel) sticks to the dash. I've also noticed that little pieces of my dash are flaking off around my vents where there was work done in the past to install my aftermarket radio. This has been going on for the past year and I haven't come up with any solutions. So glad we're all in the same boat.

RicerX

Thanks Jackie. Good to know it's not just Florida this is relegated to now. We have Florida and Texas, both states have some hot-weather climates.

Imsobored152
Car: 08 Altima coupe 2.5s

I too just bought an 08 altima AND live in Florida

Thankfully my dash is fine, but I hope this is not something to look forward to.................I think my dash is fine......now im gunna have to go check

packerjd04
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima S 2.5 Coupe

I have an 08 2.5 coupe and my dash also has the sticking and shiny melting appearance going. I have tried putting up a windshield reflector during the day but it hasn't helped. I live in central Florida. It has become a distraction while driving during the day unfortunately. Not sure how to bring up to the dealer and if they would even do something.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

The only thing I can think of to do for a next step would be to get everyone's information. Not necessarily name, but VIN and general area? Maybe we can see a pattern or something (like sequential VINs... a bad batch got out?).

KJW656
Car: Nissan Altima 08

Same problem as everyone else. My dash is melting. It's sticky to the touch. I'm from the South Florida area.

I brought my car into the service department in the local Nissan dealership and immediately the guy said it was a defective dash and to put in a claim with 1800-nissan-usa. I did...only to be denied. The woman wouldn't tell me why she was denying my claim either and stated she did not need to disclose her reasons. Needless to say, I was furious.

I am also an attorney. If there is anyway we can prove this, I'd be happy to possibly organize a class-action suit.

RicerX

Welcome to NICO and thank you for posting up your experience! Please stick around here, as this thread is the main conduit for everyone's problems with the dashboard. The more information we accumulate here, the better chances we have of getting things done for all involved.

Jane
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

I have the same issue with my 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe. It was purchased in NY right out of the showroom. I moved to South Florida in 2009 and just started to experience the melting dashboard at the end of 2012 and it continues to worsen. I never used a chemical on it and I park in the same place everyday. When I went to use a cloth to dust the dash off, the cloth fibers stuck to it. That is the first time this ever happened and I use the same cloth all of the time.
I just now noticed that tiny pieces of the dashboard are coming off.
I called Nissan. As the vehicle is out of warranty and there is no recall, they could not offer assistance. However, I believe that with all of us having the exact same issue that is a driving hazard from the glare, Nissan should recall the dash.
I took the advice of a prior posting and I went onto Nissan's Facebook page to voice my concern. I believe that everyone else should too.
We need help from the manufacturer. This dangerous condition is beyond us. This is a manufacturer's defect and there needs to be an investigation and a recall.

Mr. Music
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT w/ Convenience Package
In the family: '02 S15 Spec R, '09 Rogue

Anyone contacted the NHTSA about this? I don't have the issue (thankfully), but the described glare caused by the issue is certainly a safety issue. With the amount of people coming to the forum, I'd assume that there are many more people out there experiencing the issue as well.

danielwei
Car: Volvo S80

Sticky melting problem can take place any where and on any cars. As long as there are plastics in cars it stands a chance to melts. It is also about plasticizer contamination in air and dioxin (a carcinogen / cancer causing agent) released by plastics etc... It is about the amount of toxic chemicals that could have been released into the car and hence being breathed in by the driver and the passengers. I am living in Asia and got that sticky melting problem two years ago but now I had since treated more than a 100 cars with that problems.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vxe3Sa21MM&feature=plcp[/youtube]

it can be treated,

FADED12
Car: 2010 Altima
Crimson Black
2.5s
K&N intake, Infinity speakers. Working progress

Do u guys have your front windshield tinted?? Bc mine are and I have only a tiny spot the size of a tip of a pen where it looks weird not melting look more like peeling. And it's where there is no tint.

rodnation
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S

Hi everyone, I found this thread using google search and I joined so I could share my 2 cents.

I own a 2008 Altima coupe which I bought almost new (had 4000 miles at the time) in 2008. The car is in great condition, it only has 20k miles at the moment but the dashboard is melting like many have said here. This car usually sits under the hot south FL sun all day. My car doesn't have tints and I used to clean the dashboard with Turtle Wax ICE total Interior care, which I stopped using since I thought at the time that it was the cause of the sticky residue. I have tried using different products to remove the glue-like residue but to no avail. The only thing that worked was alcohol but I noticed that aside from removing the residue it was completely removing the texture of the dashboard, leaving it flat and shiny, so I decided to stop before it got worse. I think the dashboard has "melted" more the last two months and it's becoming unsafe to drive due to the glare from the reflection. If anyone finds a solution, please post it here. I'll keep checking back every once in a while.

Thanks and have a nice day!

RicerX

rodnation - thanks for your input and welcome to NICO!

There is a wealth of information here for your coupe. Stick around!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

http://www.businessinsider.com/photo-of ... ing-2013-9

Maybe you can all claim you parked near that thing and it melted your dashes.

Vadoaj
Car: 2008 nissan altima 3.5SE Coupe

My car is doing the same thing... Have we found a solution!!!!

jswfl09

I just happened to see this thread and realized here is another group I belong to.

I live in SWFL and purchased my car new in July 2009 in Naples. Black on black. Just this past week, I went to clean the dash and noticed it was sticky above the center air vents and towards where it meets the window. Fantastic.

One thing to note, I have never applied Armor All to the dash. I haven't used that stuff in a car in about 10 years and for good reason.

** After reading each thread on the post again, I appear to be the first 2009 that has posted here showing this problem. It has a build date of 11/08. Also, I do not have my windshield tinted (just sides and rear) and my car is parked outside each and everyday. Nothing abrasive has been used on the dash, car has never been smoked in, always kept wiped down, etc. I guess I will go ahead and contact Nissan now before it gets like some of the pictures (mine is just starting with the stickiness on the A/C vent ridges and a couple of spots by where it meets the windshield defroster vent).

Obviously, as time goes on we are going to see more and more of this out there.

Bimmke
Car: 2008 Altima

My dash is melting as well. I live in south florida 2008 Altima coupe. Nobody wants to help. Says out of warranty and I'm in my last year of payments. This is a defect. Nissian should take care of this free of charge. My dash board also glares real bad do to being so shinny. This is gonna cause a accident one day. Keep me posted on this everyone. We need a response from them.

el_blacky06
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5s 6MT

I too have a problem with the stickiness of the dashboard.
It also happens on the driver side and passenger side of the door (same material as the dashboard). the color has faded on the driver side since I rest my hand there. My warranty is far past already I'm at 115,xxx miles so ill just get new parts for it in the near future.
My location is in Fontana, Ca

jswfl09

el_blacky06 wrote:I too have a problem with the stickiness of the dashboard.
It also happens on the driver side and passenger side of the door (same material as the dashboard). the color has faded on the driver side since I rest my hand there. My warranty is far past already I'm at 115,xxx miles so ill just get new parts for it in the near future.
My location is in Fontana, Ca
And you are definitely in a hot place. So far, only reports seem to be FL, TX and now CA.

I am going to put in a claim with Nissan. I only have somewhere around 48,000 miles. I am preparing for a fight. I do have the Nissan Gold Security+ Extended warranty but soft trim is one of the exclusions (like with any extended warranty).

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I would encourage everyone to put in a claim with Nissan and the NHTSA if possible.

bzygmunt
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupoe

We can all file complaints here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleCo ... ndex.xhtml

Or search for complaints here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchComplaints

There is additional options to have them research already entered complaints on the "Melting Dashboard" issue we are all having, but it costs additional money for them to "Research" :bs:

MelissaxOwnsxYou
Car: Nissan Altima 2.5 S Sedan

I am having the same problem and it is driving me absolutely INSANE. I have been considering getting a new car because the glare and stickiness is so bad. I live in Miami and started noticing chucks of the dash coming out if I were to hit it with my nails by mistake after owning the car for about a year or two. I bought it brand new from the dealership in August of 2008. Now it is in full-blown melt mode. My dog rides in my car quite often, so I have a bunch of her hair and even dried leaves stuck to it. The other day I got in the car to go to work in the morning and found a LIZARD stuck in the melted goo! I was able to peel him out and let him go but I'm sure the tar stuck to him must have killed him by now. I'm at 75k miles and out of warranty. Has anyone found a way to clean this yet at least? I would love to get a new dash for free but in the meantime it is impossible to drive like this. The glare makes it impossible to see the road plus it makes my interior look gross.

Howellcp
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5

Mine as well. Im in Georgia but I think the car was bought at action in Florida and transported up for sale.

2008 4 Door 3.5. Tinted windows. Only option I have found that works is to put my hat over it. It seems to still be getting worse.

mmkeller
Car: 2017 Maxima SR
2009 Murano SL

I believe a dealership in Florida used a substance in an unmarked bottle, or they filled a bottle meant for dash cleaner with a liquid that was meant for something else. If everyone could investigate where there car came from this might clarify the origin of the problem. I don't have this problem, my car came from a dealership in Iowa and I'm now in Texas where the heat is 100s. Although my car is garaged it sits in the summer heat when I'm at work. I hope this gets resolved.

Howellcp
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5

Does anyone have an unlimited car fax report? I can consolidate the VINS and do the cross reference to see if that is the case.

***EDIT***

Found a way to pull yours for free. http://dealmac.com/CARFAX-Vehicle-Servi ... 81815.html, Just sign up.

My car was sold by: Hill Nissan, Inc.
Winter Haven, FL

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah if you post your VINs, we could check into that. Or if you're not comfortable posting them for the world to see, you could PM them to me.

In the meantime, if you really want to do some sort of temporary fix, I'm sure there's some vinyl out there that you could lay over/glue to the sticky sections to kill the glare. It'll look like crap though.

They also make "plastic interior paint" with a matte finish that you might be able to spray on. I'm not sure if it'll stick to the melted sections, but that would be worth a shot too.

AlexN09
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe 2.5S

MelissaxOwnsxYou wrote:I am having the same problem and it is driving me absolutely INSANE. I have been considering getting a new car because the glare and stickiness is so bad. I live in Miami and started noticing chucks of the dash coming out if I were to hit it with my nails by mistake after owning the car for about a year or two. I bought it brand new from the dealership in August of 2008. Now it is in full-blown melt mode. My dog rides in my car quite often, so I have a bunch of her hair and even dried leaves stuck to it. The other day I got in the car to go to work in the morning and found a LIZARD stuck in the melted goo! I was able to peel him out and let him go but I'm sure the tar stuck to him must have killed him by now. I'm at 75k miles and out of warranty. Has anyone found a way to clean this yet at least? I would love to get a new dash for free but in the meantime it is impossible to drive like this. The glare makes it impossible to see the road plus it makes my interior look gross.

This is freaking hilarious. Nissan should deal with this problem if a relatively new and nice car is trapping lizards to the dash due to melting...

Return to “Altima General Discussions”