The Official Altima Melting Dashboard Thread

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!

Is your dashboard melting like those pictured in this thread?

Yes, Coupe (2008-2009)
41%
Yes, Coupe (2010-2013)
5%
No, Coupe (2008-09)
10%
No, Coupe (2010-2013)
8%
Yes, Sedan (post your model year)
32%
No, Sedan (post your model year)
5%

Total votes: 63

Mr. Music
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT w/ Convenience Package
In the family: '02 S15 Spec R, '09 Rogue

I also live in southern Florida, but (thankfully) haven't experienced this issue. I've owned the car since new and have always cleaned the interior with a damp cloth (no chemicals). I also always park in my garage at home and a parking garage where I work; otherwise, I try to park in the shade and use a sun visor up front when I can't. I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while and it make me even more paranoid about where I park.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

^Good to know.

I posted this thread on Nissan's facebook page. We'll see how they want to handle it now that they have a multitude of people in contact with each other, many of whom are pointing out the safety aspect of having incredibly amounts of glare as a result of this problem. Nissan usually takes safety pretty seriously.

alecksia
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

I found this page just by typing in my problem on Google. I have a 2008 NIssan Altima Coupe in Orlando, Florida, and my dash is melting as well.

I bought my car used from a Nissan dealer in Merritt Island, Florida, and about a year later I noticed the stickiness on the edges on high points in the dash. At first I thought it was Armor All or some cleaner that the dealer used, so I took it back to them to take care of. I went in three times until they finally told me they had no idea what was happening to my dash, and that they couldn't do anything about it because it is the actual dash that is melting. So now I have a melting dash that creates a horrible glare on my windshield, and I only expect it to get worse since full-blown summer isn't far off. I've tried to use Goo Gone, but that did nothing.

It is a pain to drive at certain points in the day because I can't see the road through the glare. The only way to alleviate the glare is by wearing polarized glasses.

I have posted on NIssan's Facebook page with a link to this thread. Hopefully they will fix this.

alecksia

Here's what i just posted on NIssan's FB: https://www.facebook.com/nissanusa/post ... if_t=share

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Thanks, Alecksia. Welcome to NICO!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Thanks for posting up. Have you also tried calling 1-800-Nissan1? How long ago did you buy the car?

Kyle Snodgrass
Car: 2008 Black Altima Coupe 3.5 SE

I live in Florida and its doing the same thing.

alecksia

I'm out of the hours of operation, so I'll call tomorrow. I did tweet Nissan about it just now, too. No one ever replied to my FB post, and it's been about a week. My hope is they'll issue a recall and we can all get new dashes or something.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Definitely. Let us know how you make out!

stitch6116
Car: 08 2.5s cpe

add another nab to the mix... i just bought an 08 altima cpe this very day and i noticed that mine has the same dash problem. i am in NC, however the carfax said the car was originally bought in you guessed it florida. i was really hoping that it was armor all on there but when my temp pass stuck there i was like wtf. hopefully there is a solution in the works.

SHIFT_COUPE
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD

Don't give up folks. Bring it to social media if you can.

AlexN09
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Can anyone else photograph their dashes so we can get a good group of photos of this problem as well?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

You could always contact your local news source!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/29/2013 ... r-shudder/
Seems to have worked for that lady (somewhat... her car still isn't fixed).

CMiddy8
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

Hello...Here's yet another "sticky dash" scenario. I used Google to find a solution to a seemingly endless problem. Had no clue that so many people have the same issue. 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5s with a dashboard covered in an ungodly substance that hinders my driving. I currently have to look over or to the side to view the road ahead of me. I have almost hit a bumper in front of me because of the lack of depth perception from the blazing sun in my eyes. It's awful and I'm truly hoping Nissan will do something about it. I find it less than ironic that it seems to be the same make and model with this issue...Anyone have an update? :confused:

CMiddy8
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

I have a few friends at NBC6 that I'm going to try and get a hold of tomorrow. If someone there wants a good story, they'll do the research and find at least a dozen in Miami and Broward counties with this issue. Once Nissan is in the news...we'll get somewhere.

RicerX

Excellent. Welcome to NICO and thank you for posting up! Let us know if you get anywhere with your friends at NBC!

alecksia

I am updating after bringing this issue to Twitter where I got a response. NIssan said they opened a case for this issue for me, but I haven't heard anything else so far.

Since then, I took my car to the dealer where I bought it used to get an oil change, and they asked to keep it while a Nissan rep visited to see if they would allow a free replacement. I got a call back saying they would replace the dash free of charge. I assume they realize the defect and are trying to keep me happy.

If you can bring your car to the dealer where you bought it (only Nissan I assume would do this), you may be able to get this fixed.
Mine is being fixed tomorrow. I can try to get the name and number of the rep to post on here if that would be helpful. Then people can contact the representative directly.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

YES! Please get the name/number of the Nissan rep that checked it out and authorized the replacement. That person deserves a cookie!

big country
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima SE

2008 Altima SE 4 door here. I found this thread through google. Live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and I am having the SAME EXACT PROBLEM! It's making me crazy! I was about to try GooGone until reading that it doesn't work. Subscribing to this thread for potential answers.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Welcome to NICO! Hopefully we'll get the info about the rep that approved the repair and can contact the person directly about the other affected vehicles.

RicerX

Great news on this front.

miguel91
Car: Nissan Altima 2.5S 2008

Found this forum searching on Google.

I have exactly the same problem. Bought the used Altima 2008 in a dealer two days ago and can't solve the problem. I am in Puerto Rico, and the car has been here since new too.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Welcome to NICO Miguel, you'll most likely have a different Nissan rep than people in Florida. Have you tried bringing it back to the dealership? How many miles are on it?

alecksia

I wasn't able to get the Nissan rep's name, but the dealer that did the replacement was Mike Erdman Nissan in Merritt Island, Fl. My guy who authorized the work was Roy S.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Do you have a full last name for the guy that authorized it? Or a business card?

r3dbullz90
Car: 08 coupe with 8k HIDs and pioneer avh-p1400dvd, debadged, nightshade taillights.

Would my local dealership do the same thing or no? My local dealership is Hill Nissan or Jenkins Nissan... This is driving me crazy making my car look bad... I plan on tinting my windshield once I get it fixed or get a custom one...

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Usually its up to the dealership if they want to change it out, or sometimes a Nissan corporate rep will make the determination and the dealership will get paid by corporate.

johnnygolfer
Car: 2008 Altima 2 door coupe 2.5 S 4 cyl

Very happy I found this forum. I leased a 2008 NISSAN Altima 2 door coupe 2.5S
I purchased the car "end of lease" and purchased an extended warrenty.
A couple years ago I noticed the beginnings with the dash panel "melting".
I had an accident 1 1/2 years ago. Bodyshop had my car for 9 months. When I picked car up, the top portion of the dash
was noticeably shiney and sticky.

I was thinking something the shop did caused this problem. I now realize the problem existed before, but somehow the time in the shop accelerated the breakdown of the panel.

At some point I will return to my dealership where I bought the car and purchased the extended warrenty. I did briefly discuss the issue with the parts department and I think I was told the warrenty did not cover the panel at this time. Not sure. Yes, we have a product defect issue here and some mention a glare hazard issue as well. I will be watching this board closely and will share any successes I have. Thank you.

lon3lydr0p

I live in Northwest Florida and I have a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe as well. I noticed the shiny dash when I bought the car but I stupidly assumed it was just too much Armor All. It wasn't until a few weeks later I realized the dash seemed to be melting.

Some of the pictures in this thread are mild compared to what my dash looks like. Additionally, I purchased a Heat Shield sun visor in a futile attempt to stop it from melting but this only created MORE problems. The black tar-like substance the dash puts off sticks to the sun visor and when taking it down to roll it up, I accidentally laid it over one of the air vents in the middle. The black tar is now melting the carbon fiber vent cover!

Has Nissan officially recognized the issue? I definitely need to do something about this but I think dash covers are incredibly tacky looking. The car is in great shape other than this glaring (pun intended) issue.

Thanks for any help!

DJ_B_Easy
Car: 2017 GMC Sierra All Terrain X

OK...wait.

1) This is crazy, new people are in every week.
2) Why is it only FL?
3) lon3lydr0p what do you mean its melting the vent cover? Do you mean instantly? Or it heats up and then transfers that heat to the vent cover?

Something is very not right with this...

Return to “Altima General Discussions”