The Official Altima Melting Dashboard Thread

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!

Is your dashboard melting like those pictured in this thread?

Yes, Coupe (2008-2009)
41%
Yes, Coupe (2010-2013)
5%
No, Coupe (2008-09)
10%
No, Coupe (2010-2013)
8%
Yes, Sedan (post your model year)
32%
No, Sedan (post your model year)
5%

Total votes: 63

HoustonJill
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

My 2008 Altima coupe also has a melting dash. I've contacted my local dealership and Nissan directly and they both told me there was nothing they could do to help me because the car is out of warranty. Are they not concerned at all that the glare from the shine is blinding and could cause an accident? It's a poor quality issue they should take responsibility for before someone is hurt or killed. This was my 4th Nissan and now last because of their unwillingness to correct a potentially dangerous flaw.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

HoustonJill wrote:My 2008 Altima coupe also has a melting dash. I've contacted my local dealership and Nissan directly and they both told me there was nothing they could do to help me because the car is out of warranty. Are they not concerned at all that the glare from the shine is blinding and could cause an accident? It's a poor quality issue they should take responsibility for before someone is hurt or killed. This was my 4th Nissan and now last because of their unwillingness to correct a potentially dangerous flaw.
There's a facebook paged dedicated to this particular dash board issue. Take a moment to post your accounts on there. There's also a Nissan representative that posts responses on the facebook page as well. You might also consider filing your concern with the NHTSA as well. This issue is going to require widespread attention in order for Nissan to address the issue in a likewise manner.

Claytonjd
Car: 08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 SE

The exact same thing is happening to the dash of my 2008 Altima Coupe. I bought it new and maintain it meticulously. I live in Jupiter, Florida. All of those who have this problem, please call me. Collectively we may be able to do something. I am also an attorney. My cell number is 561-601-3692.

Viper5000
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE/6MT

I haven't posted in a while... but I am starting the get the melting dash :confused: :confused:

I live in Tallahassee, FL. Got my 2009 brand new Nov 2008. It is parked 50/50 in the shade/sun....

I DO NOT use anything to clean the dash other than a microfiber cloth with a little water occasionally. NO CHEMICALS, ever :gotme

This has definitely got to be an issue with these years and southern climates...

seldomseen

Viper5000 wrote:I haven't posted in a while... but I am starting the get the melting dash :confused: :confused:

I live in Tallahassee, FL. Got my 2009 brand new Nov 2008. It is parked 50/50 in the shade/sun....

I DO NOT use anything to clean the dash other than a microfiber cloth with a little water occasionally. NO CHEMICALS, ever :gotme

This has definitely got to be an issue with these years and southern climates...
Have you taken your car to the dealership and asked them to replace the dash under a goodwill warranty? There's a facebook paged dedicated to this problem. Get on the page ASAP....there's also a Nissan Representative on the page as well. A little persistence on your end should get the dash replaced at no or a highly subsidized cost.

Viper5000
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE/6MT

My extended warranty just ran out last month ...... They will definitely be fixing this weather they like it or not....

seldomseen

Viper5000 wrote:My extended warranty just ran out last month ...... They will definitely be fixing this weather they like it or not....
Your extended warranty will not cover a new dash. You will need to deal with Nissan directly to get your dash replaced under a good will warranty or due to this being a common safety issue.

packerjd04
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima S 2.5 Coupe

Hey all, I have a 08 2.5 that I bought new in Ft. Lauderdale. Currently living in Orlando and have had this issue growing for past couple of months possibly closing in on a year. I noticed a couple people mentioning being in Orlando and central FL earlier and wondered if anyone had this issue resolved at a local dealer? I haven't contacted the dealer I go to regularly or corporate but wanted any advice I could get before doing so. Thanks!

dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

I can't believe this thread is still alive! Be like me and don't drive your car...keep in the garage and take out for shows. Problem solved!

r3dbullz90
Car: 08 coupe with 8k HIDs and pioneer avh-p1400dvd, debadged, nightshade taillights.

yah my dash is getting worse and worse... its getting so bad now that the glare is making it to where i sometimes cannot see taillights in front of me... i contacted my dealer and there is nothing they can do unless i purchase a new dash which yah i definitely dont have the money to do....so i need to call corporate and see if i can complain enough lol...my hole car looks great but everyone asks me y my dash looks horrible...

dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

buy a dash carpet...

r3dbullz90
Car: 08 coupe with 8k HIDs and pioneer avh-p1400dvd, debadged, nightshade taillights.

haha yah no thanks... lol

B Rock
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Found a couple more related complaints here:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Alt ... ting.shtml

Not sure if they are redundant to this thread or not...

Blueisforbadasses
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5

My dashboard is melting as well, the dealer i bought it from (came to them as a trade-in) put a carpet dash cover over the entire dash :nono: . I had my upholsterer/seamstress order some black vinyl/ leather like material and we will be cutting it to fit and adhering it to the surface. Will post pics when it is finished. should come out nice.

kenshin04
Car: 08 Nissan Altima

Hi, sorry to be late to the party but I'm another victim. 08 Altima with melted dash from Texas. I just got done trying Goo Gone to no avail before searching the web for alternatives and finding this thread.
I also just sent a complaint to the safecar.gov website and for the heck of it went to Nissianusa.com and messaged them. If there is anything else to do or try please let me know.

Toniehall
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

I am having the same exact problem I have a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe and notice my dashboard was melting, it's now at the point where the glare is so bad I can barely see to drive. I also have a six year old I'm now to afraid to drive any where Bc of the glare but also because I'm not sure what kind of toxics we are breathing in. I've ordered a dash cover from carid.com but realized that that is not going to fix my problem it's only going to hide it and in the event that later I want to get rid of the car the zebra print dash cover would be stuck. So I took it to the Nissan dealer ( I don't have a warranty by the way) and the put me in a rental immediately saying and I quote, "do you know what this material is who knows what your breathing in" so they could check my car.... They called me two days later and told me that they do not know what's causing it and for me to call 1 800 nissan1. The Nissan headquarters customer relations were extremely rude and rug used to help me at all..... I'm a single mother and can't afford to pay to have this fix. I did some research and it turned out that Nissan did a recall for a very similar problem in the infinities (melting dash and was bubbling) how can we go about getting a class action suit started or is there one already..... This isn't fair not only is this a health issue but a safety issue as well.... :(

seachelle
Car: 2008 nissan coupe v6

I am having the same problem! At first I thought the cleaner was just sticking, but lately I noticed it getting worse! It's very sticky and not getting any better when I park in garage. Wow I hope it doesn't start to crack and peel I can't afford to replace it. Such a nice car to have it looking like its melting.

Neonkiss

South Florida area with a 2008 Altima Coupe. I also have the melting dash issue.
Currently waiting on a reply from Nissan to see what they will pay for. Nothing ever used on the dash but damp cloth with water. My biggest concern now is if the airbag will deploy successfully through this sticky mess on the passenger side. I asked the dealer this question and he replied "I can't say that it will" We no longer drive this car on the interstate.
Huge safety issue and Nissan is gamb|ing with this until a crash occurs. It appears that only then will they do anything about it. Remember Toyota with the sticking gas pedals? This has the same ramifications.

Neonkiss

OK I just got done gathering all the complaints to the NHTSA's website on this particular issue with the melting dash in the 2008 Altima. I put them all in a spreadsheet listing them by complaint number, consumers city and state along with VIN number and the actual complaint they filed. to date there are 57 complaints all coming from Florida, Texas or California. If anyone has not filed a complaint, please do so. I don't know how many complaints it takes for the NHTSA it escalate this to an investigation? If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet or can help in getting this out, please respond. I'll upload the Excel file here if that can be done?
Here is the webpage to file complaints
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

TAMU_QR25DE
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 140,500miles, bought 2013

Texas Houston. Dashboard melting.
Blame that French VP.

jersey201AC
Car: 2008NissanAC3.5

Hey guys anybody know Whats a good detailing cleaning product for the dashboard steering wheel pretty much the whole interior

seldomseen

Just use any brand interior protectant/cleaner that does not contain any petroluem distillates or silicon.

jersey201AC

Oh alright just wanted to know so i dont mess up my dashboard thanks

Neonkiss

jersey201AC wrote:Oh alright just wanted to know so i dont mess up my dashboard thanks
Jersey, Just a FYI.
The issue with the melting dash on the 2008 and 2009 Altima is a defect in materials. Not an issue with a cleaning product. If you have one of these vehicles and live in a warm southern climate, your dash will start to decompose.

jersey201AC

Oh s*** really didnt know well it can get hot in jersey in the summer plus i go down the shore so im deff investing in one of those windshield sun block things lol thank for the info

B Rock
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S

I am amazed that this issue is ongoing and still not being addressed by Nissan. There should have been a recall years ago.

Of course, recalls are expensive, and this seems to only apply to those of us in hot climates. Its probably less than 10% of the total Nissan's potentially affected, and the replacement cost is huge.

I keep seeing posts about the Facebook page but I couldn't find it. Can someone help me find it?

I'm really interested in helping you guys get this resolved. So far, from what I'm reading, mine is the ONLY one that they were willing to replace...?

Neonkiss

B Rock wrote:
I keep seeing posts about the Facebook page but I couldn't find it. Can someone help me find it?

I'm really interested in helping you guys get this resolved. So far, from what I'm reading, mine is the ONLY one that they were willing to replace...?
Here it is:
https://www.facebook.com/nissanusa/post ... 8385130375

seldomseen

Most dealerships would be willing to replace your dash only if Nissan USA will gaurantee the dealership that they will cover the cost of parts and labor. Consider getting on the FB page related to this matter for assistance and advice. Most dealerships will be unwilling to do the leg work opening up a case with Nissan USA, regarding your dashboard.

RubyGtz
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe

Hi guys, I'm another victim of the melting dashboard, also from FL, Orlando. I read ALL of your posts and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get NISSAN to respond to and fix this defect. I'm going to make some calls and send some emails to our legal council team as to the best way forward with this issue. Please add me to your list of cases. 2009 Altima Coupe, Orlando, FL. My dashboard looks just like all the other pictures people have posted. I also started to look into this matter because of the safety hazard that the glare produces. I will post as soon as I have an update.

Cheers,
Ruby

RubyGtz
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe

Neonkiss wrote:OK I just got done gathering all the complaints to the NHTSA's website on this particular issue with the melting dash in the 2008 Altima. I put them all in a spreadsheet listing them by complaint number, consumers city and state along with VIN number and the actual complaint they filed. to date there are 57 complaints all coming from Florida, Texas or California. If anyone has not filed a complaint, please do so. I don't know how many complaints it takes for the NHTSA it escalate this to an investigation? If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet or can help in getting this out, please respond. I'll upload the Excel file here if that can be done?
Here is the webpage to file complaints
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Hello Neonkiss,

Would you mind forwarding me the data you've complied? My e-mail is [email protected]

Cheers,
Ruby

Return to “Altima General Discussions”