The New QX56 Dominates the Full-Size SUV Class

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You don’t buy an Infiniti QX56 for commuting unless, that is, you are transporting the entire firm. No, the QX56 is one SUV that craves a load and holds its own anywhere.

The 2008 Infiniti QX56 comes with one of the most powerful V8s in its class. It's an excellent choice among full-size SUVs for towing a heavy trailer while hauling seven passengers in luxurious comfort. It offers serious off-road capability, an area where Nissan has a lot of experience. The QX56 is based on the full-size Nissan Titan pickup and Armada SUV. The Infiniti QX56 is rated to tow 8,900-9,000 pounds. Nissan's 5.6-liter 32-valve engine generates more torque than the V8s in the 2006 Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator. Neither the Lexus LX470 nor the Toyota Sequoia can compete with the Infiniti's towing capability.

The 2008 QX56 is available in two-wheel and four-wheel drive models, both equipped with a standard 5.6-liter DOHC V8 engine producing 320-hp and 393 lb/ft of torque, five-speed automatic transmission, Sojourner leather-appointed seating, Infiniti Navigation System, RearView Monitor, Bluetooth Hands-free Phone System, power-operated tailgate and an independent rear suspension with load leveling. The MSRP for the 2008 Infiniti QX56 2WD is $52,150; it’s $55,250 for the 4WD.

New standard equipment includes a 12-speaker Bose Premium Audio System with Burr-Brown DAC and 9.3-gigabyte Music Box hard drive for digital music storage and playback, and standard Intelligent Key. New optional equipment includes XM NavTraffic system with real-time traffic information (requires active XM satellite radio subscription), which works in concert with the standard Infiniti Navigation System (hard drive-based) to display current traffic conditions. For a limited time, Infiniti is offering three years of XM Satellite Radio and XM NavTraffic service at no charge.

The 2008 QX56's exterior enhancements include a new front and rear design, new front fog lights, a revised one-piece roof rack, new standard 20-inch chromed aluminum-alloy wheels and heavy-duty P275/60R20 Michelin tires.

Inside, the 2008 QX56 adds a power-folding third-row 60/40-split seat, new illuminated steering wheel controls, new designs and colors for the instrument cluster, a lockable glove box, a new Stone interior color (in addition to Wheat and Charcoal) and new wood grain interior trim. The optional Infiniti Mobile Entertainment System is now offered with a larger eight-inch screen for 2008. The interior offers seating for up to eight with an optional second-row split bench seat (no charge) and generous cargo and storage capacity providing maximum utility.

Available options for the 2008 QX56 include a tow package (2WD only, standard on 4WD model), a technology package with Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) and front parking sensors and painted front and rear splashguards.

Out on the highway, the QX56 is smooth and quiet, benefiting from a four-wheel independent suspension and its smooth five-speed automatic. It feels responsive and sure-footed on winding roads, yet it's capable off road. Its four-wheel drive-system features a low range, and skid plates are available. It comes standard with the latest in electronic stability control, traction control and ABS technology, all of which can help you maintain control in emergency handling situations. The available all-wheel drive system further improves handling and stability in slippery conditions. The QX56 is as luxurious as the best of them.

The 2008 Infiniti QX56 is a large SUV with exceptionally nimble handling. It’s a brute when it comes to towing and off-roading yet it is civilized and luxurious when called upon for touring.

If the trend toward crossover vehicles strikes you as a cop out, the QX56 is the SUV for you.

BirdOPrey5

Source?

sijia10358
Car: nissan 240sx

damn..the 2008 sounds so nice...it makes me wanna buy it...but too bad i'm stuck with the 2005...sigh...

q56er
Car: QX56

Back in 2005 we bought a new Toyota Sequoia and then about a month ago I got the itch to test drive the new 08 Sequoia. Redesigned for 08, it boasts a 5.7l V8, up to 10,000 lb towing and more hp than the QX56 along with a 6 speed auto trans. versus the 5 speed in the QX. These days transmissions are computer controlled and adjust over time to your driving habits but my first impression of Sequoia's 6 speed is it isn't the smooth shifter the original five speed was. Next we took the 08 QX56 for a test drive. Night and day, the 5 speed in the QX was silky smooth under hard acceleration or just puttin around town. The 08 Sequoia now has IRS (independent rear suspension) which the Armada and QX have had since their introduction and the ride between Nissan and Toyota are comparable in my opinion. I don't like the Premium wheels on the Sequoia, they're plastic coated aluminum, they look dark and don't have much shine. The QX has a much classier chrome finish. For $60k I wanna look good right?The interior between the QX and Sequoia again is night and day. The QX interior coddles you with luxury, Sequoia's interior is right out of a pickup truck, the Tundra to be exact. It's utilitarian, gets the job done but doesn't inspire. Toyota's navigation system is years behind in terms of features and ease of use. Again Nissan wins hands down here. The kicker: Infinity had 3.9% financing through January on the QX, Toyota offers no incentives on the Sequoia and the Sequoia costs more for roughly the same list of amenities.I wouldn't even consider the Lincoln, have you seen the dash? Oh Please!The 08 Escalade boasts 400 hp, that's nice but not much use when the rest of the car starts falling off the chassis at 40,000 miles. No offense Cadillac. So I have to agree with AZhitman, the QX56 Dominates the full-Size SUV Class.

Black stallion
Car: 1994 Q45/2006 QX56

Here Here!

keg97
Car: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2004 Acura TSX

Agreed q56r...My wife and looked at all of the full size SUV players and ended up with the QX v Sequoia. It totally depends on what you want....the Sequoia seems faster and seems to drive a half point smoother. It also has a slightly larger and more flexible interior, but the QX just exudes a luxury feel that the Sequoia can only dream about.

We'll be getting a QX probably in Feb....want to see the new incentives!

q56er

I just rechecked Toyota's incentives on the Sequoia for 2008 and I'm not seeing anything yet. That might change, I noticed our local dealer here in Everett, WA has had the same 08 on the lot for almost a month and it's the only Sequoia on the lot. The incentives we got on the QX were fantastic, 3.9% over 60 months. That ended on the 31st of January but there may be more coming. With a recession looming we might see some good deals in the coming months.

keg97

My dealer told me that the Infiniti has dropped the APR to 1.9 over 3 years or 2.9 over 5 yearsNo word on the rebate, but somebody online said they would be 1500. My dealer did not know that info....

keg97

Edmunds is also reporting the 1500 plus APR thru March

q56er

By the way, I got behind a Navigator at the light this morning and I had to laugh at the horrible ground clearance between the differential and the rear tires. Look at the how Nissan has everything tucked up and out of the way compared to all the crap hanging down below the differential on the Navigator. I realize these SUVs are 4x4s that no one in their right mind would take off road but what if? What if I wanted to head up to the cabin on that road with the deap ruts, good luck in your Navigator. Apparently Cadillac gave up trying to design a double wishbone rear suspension because it's still got a solid axle under it. I think Ford was brow beat into putting IRS on the Explorer after all the roll-overs but honestly they did a better job on it than Lincoln did on the Nav.
Modified by q56er at 3:32 PM 2/9/2008

Madahajimoto
Car: 2006 Nissan Armada

Anybody go up against a Seqoia yet? 6k pounds @ 355 hp true dyno shouldnt be a problem with slightly modded first gens and stock second gens.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

I will be honest, I have only seen one new Sequoia on the road thus far!

keg97

Yeah....I don't think they are selling too well. IMHO Toyota priced them waaaay too high.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Yeah, no kidding, the fact that the MSRP on a loaded Sequoia is the same as that of a loaded QX56. That is crazy, the QX56 runs circles around the Sequoia, especially on the interior! Then bring the Armada into the pic, and you really have a deal!

keg97

Timmbo wrote:Yeah, no kidding, the fact that the MSRP on a loaded Sequoia is the same as that of a loaded QX56. That is crazy, the QX56 runs circles around the Sequoia, especially on the interior! Then bring the Armada into the pic, and you really have a deal!
Agree completely with you on the luxury side. My wife and I both thought that the Sequoia drove/rode better than the QX...not by much, but it does drive nicely. The steering is numb though.

The Sequoia is a decent value if you load up a SR5 version for low 40's. Otherwise it is overpriced for what you get....

q56er

I was over on Edmunds.com ( I think I saw you over there as well keg97) looking at posts for the 08 Sequoia and I'm seeing pics of the rear DVD entertainment system with the drive integrated into the unit mounted to the ceiling. The older systems mounted the DVD between the front seats just like the 08 QX. It's great for the kids I guess but seems a little awkward for me if I want to put a DVD in and watch while parked. There's also the control aspect, I'm the parent, I like to know what my kids are watching. You wouldn't believe what my kids will try and sneak past us, it's not so easy in the QX because 'dad' controls the DVD. YEAH!

q56er

An update to what I said previously about the Ford Explorer. The rear independent suspension is NOT any better than what they did on the Navigator. Got behind an Explorer yesterday and ground clearance is horrible between the ground and the lower wishbone. Ford's design must be stronger. Yeah that's it.

q56er

We only have to wait a little longer, I'm sure someone will post a video on youtube pitting the Sequoia against the QX in a pull-off. The pickup guys do it all the time, hook a chain between the two pickups going in opposite directions and then floor it. There are a couple vids on youtube already that show the QX slinging mud, although they're pretty tame. True the QX and Sequoia are expensive rigs to thrash but I have every confidence that a couple fun-seeking teens will get ahold of dad's keys and provide the rest of us with wonderful entertainment. Oh, crap, that reminds me I forgot to put my keys in the safe last night!

keg97

Link us when you find one!

Yeah...I'm over on Edmunds a good bit....I enjoy giving some grief to the Sequoia fanboys

q56er

I was just looking at sales numbers on the Sequoia for this year. Sales are higher than for the QX, just over 2000 for February I think. I'd probably be one of them had I not come across the QX. Still no incentives for the Toyota. I did read that Toyota is dissappointed with Tundra sales, like they're production capacity is twice what the sales have been. Don't know what Toyota's expectations for the Sequoia are. I can tell you that it doesn't hurt my feelings at all to be driving around in a QX of which there are hardly any of on the road.

keg97

I would not expect QX numbers to be better than the Sequoia. It starts at 35K and is a Toyota. Right there you're opening yourself up to a larger portion of the market. I'd like to see how many Platinums are being sold since that is roughly the equivalent to the QX...at least price wise.

I can't believe that the Sequoia is meeting expectations....dealers near me have barely moved any. The QX is selling better than the '07 so I have to assume that Infiniti is happy with the refresh.

q56er

Just checked for incentives on the Sequoia and they're offering cash back on the 07 models but nothing yet on the 08s. That tells me there are some 07's still sitting in dealer inventory. Were I just getting into the market for an SUV and was a more rational type person the 07 would probably be a great deal. I'm not a rational type person though.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”