"the mysterious reversing sound" (mannuals)

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
av8mech240sx
Car: Flyin', Fixin' and Drivin'

Ok, another curiousity question....what might be causing a grind/squeaking combo sound in reverse ? Could it be just some dirt on the brakes or something more sinister? My friend wanted to know if my axel was busted becuase it sounds so bad. Axel looks fine to me. I can't see anything wrong. Ideas?

drjohn

Does it happen with brakes applied lightly, or no brakes. Sometimes if the brake wear tabs are slightly touching the rotors you will get a vibrating type squeal. That is if you have rear rotors?? May need to take it to a shop to be checked.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

If your brake pads were installed properly, then your wear indicators should make a squeaking sound when backing up with*out* the brakes applied (when the pads are worn). The wear indicators are made to vibrate a certain frequency one direction (backwards) and not vibrate the other direction (forwards). Most people don't realize it, but brake pads with wear indicators *do* have left and right pads!

So anyway, sounds like that's what it is to me.

drjohn

Not to disagree but the pads are directional for the reason that the wear tab goes in the direction when the rotor turns in the normal forward direction so that the tab hits against the pad. This is so the wear tab continues to touch the rotor in the forward direction. If put on backwards the wear tab will break off and the noise goes away and then you drive the brakes into the rotors and then the brakes grind.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

drjohn wrote:Not to disagree but the pads are directional for the reason that the wear tab goes in the direction when the rotor turns in the normal forward direction so that the tab hits against the pad. This is so the wear tab continues to touch the rotor in the forward direction. If put on backwards the wear tab will break off and the noise goes away and then you drive the brakes into the rotors and then the brakes grind.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Although, my point is still a good reason to put them on in the right direction :)

av8mech240sx
Car: Flyin', Fixin' and Drivin'

well, the pads are in the right direction. I checked that out. The noise has suddenly stopped. Who knows what it was....

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”