The M45 experience REVIEW!

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

It should come of no surprise to the posting members here that I do not go to the Infiniti dealership very often. First, I own a first generation Q45, so that means I am not looking to buy new, and I do all my own work to the car, so that means that I really have no reason to go to the dealer. With that being said, this being my first Infiniti dealership experience.

So I pull up in my 1994 Q45, being loud due to the aftermarket exhaust, and dirty from sitting all week (and being beaten around with no way to wash it). I drive around, and I spot my eyes on this little beauty. Crimson pearl (the color of my previous Q45) M45 sport. Unfortunately they did not have any M’s with the technology package. I am not really too concerned about those gizmos and gadgets anyway.

After about five minutes of meandering through the sea of my Mt. Fuji crested brethren, a salesman approached me. I explained to him that I have not been very enthusiastic about what Infiniti had to offer since the first generation Q45, and that my reading on the new M seems to capture the original spirit of the performance luxury sedan since that time.

So I got some literature, and then I told him I was doing a review for one of the largest Nissan and Infiniti clubs on the Internet. I gave him my card, and they were very eager to let me drive. Since I am under 21, they required someone go with me. Not a big deal, he did not put up any fuss to what I was doing to the car (and I wasn’t easy on it!). Impressive none the less that they even gave me the time of day.

As a side note, I went to Infiniti of Fort Wayne, located in (yeah you guessed it) Fort Wayne, IN. I have to say I am extremely impressed with the amount of professionalism. I dealt with Ron who is one of the managers there, and he approached me and was very much a professional. He treated me like I actually had the money to buy the car. For anyone considering an Infiniti, this dealership is top notch. When I walked in, I felt like I was in the lobby of a hotel in Las Vegas, except they had Infiniti’s sitting around. How could life be better? I cannot say enough good things about this dealership, and they also have a master technician that was trained on the first generation Q45. A match mate in heaven, indeed!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Now onto the part on what you really wanted to hear about: What I thought about the car.

I sat in the car for a while and tried to absorb its aura. The materials used in the M interior of utmost quality, soft and very sturdy feeling. The only qualm I had with the interior was the center trim on the dash, as well as the plastic door pulls. I am used to the chrome metal handles in my Q45. Had I been in the car with the rosewood or brushed aluminum, which may have been different. Regardless, it seems very much on par with the 2005 BMW 745 I was in earlier this year. For what automakers are putting out today, this M interior is very well made, still doesn’t seem the same as my Q45. One thing that impressed me was the way the doors sound when they close. I know this sounds very strange, but I've never seen a nissan product where the door sounds so solid when it closes.

While we're talking about BMW, the rear seats resembled very much a 95-01 BMW 7 series. Not sure why, but thats the first thing I noticed when I opened the rear door. Also in this picture you can especially notice the edging they put on the seats.. I am referring to the grey part that goes around the edge of the seats. Very nice touch!

One thing Infiniti really stepped up on was the center pod thing. I am not a fan of the way they have those layouts, I prefer the stacked layouts of the Q45 and like the new Cadillac STS. Regardless, this was a welcome change to what the FX35 was like I drove earlier this year. The buttons are very well thought out and everything is almost where you expect it. I really did not mess with any of the technology related items; in retrospect I wish I had tried the cooled seats. My main concern for going there was one thing: Is the performance all it was hyped up to be?

Unlike my car, the car is completely silent at idle. I could only hear a muffled “pmpmpmpmpm” coming from the exhaust as I walked around it.

I take off out of the dealer lot, and unlike the G35 which is a little too twitchy for me, this takes off just as smooth as my Q45. I redline this thing and I have 2 words: HOLY CRAP! What is so amazing to me is how well under control this power is. It’s so smooth, so quiet, and so refined, it would be like Michael Johnson running the 100 meter dash in an Armani suit. Compared to my Q45, it really did not feel as if it had much more thrust, it just had more average thrust. There were very little dead spots, if any. The power curve was a very boring curve, meaning the torque is very even through the RPM range, which is not something I am used to. I am used to having to wait until my Q gets to 4000 RPM before it really gets going. As an aside, I am convinced that if my Q45 had the same transmission and rear axle ratio that they would be very close in performance.

One thing I prayed for before I went to bed every night was that the manual shifter would be better than it was in the G35. Fortunately, I was correct. As I have noted before, I really was not a fan of the G35 and FX35 manual shifter. It was very unresponsive in my experience. This one is VERY much more refined, it did miss a couple of my downshifts, but perhaps I was going too fast to downshift into that gear. Everything was perfect. The only thing I would have changed with that is that the manual shifter would be engaged when you push it to the right, not the left. I meant to put it in drive the first time instead I was in the manual. I was very excited to see that it holds the gear you are in and does not want to shift until you tell it to.

Handling on this car is amazing. For those of you who have been in my Q45, you know that it is not lacking in the handling department. The car feels much more balanced than my Q45. Its handling characteristics are very similar to the G35, except it’s a little more plush. It feels as if (if this were possible) that I could hold this car in the center with my finger and the car would balance perfectly. It is front heavy, but it does not feel that. Possibly the rear active steering (which my M was equipped with) helped that. There was a slight bit of body lean noticeable, but hardly anything worth mentioning.

I drove the sport model, and honestly I was expecting it be firmer than it was, and I would not mind it being firmer. This would not go over with many of the target buyers to the M.

Braking is very, and not surprisingly, similar to the G35. Seems to have a little less bite which is appropriate for a luxury car.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

To me, a car is more than a mode of transportation. It is a way that you express yourself, who you are, and what you are about. How a car feels is very much a huge part of if I will like the car. Most of you know how attached I am to my first generation Q45, and how I am very reluctant to give up my Q for anything. However, this car feels to me like the first generation Q45 in 2006 model year trim. If I were to buy one of these cars, I would definitely miss my Q, but I think I could get over it. Ideally one would like to have both.

I have a thing about my Q feeling like “home”. I drive other cars, and think that they’re nice, however I feel like I am at home whenever I am in my Q45. This M45 is the only other car I have been in that has that feeling of “home”. This car is not about the transportation that it provides; it is about the experience it gives. The amazing fact is how well things work seamlessly. I am convinced that if one does not notice certain things, they are working as they should.

The M45: A truly amazing motoring experience.

Edong t5
Car: M45

Excellent review. Best one I read, so far. I can imagine checking the car and driving it myself by the way you described how it looks and how it feels. Red (crimson?) looks nice from the pictures. Nice contrast to the cars chrome trim which brings out the red more. But thn again,red always looks nice in pictures. Reviewing cars is the coolest profession I could ever think off (well, second, next to reviewing applicants for Playboy Bunnies). You'd make an excellent reviewer. It's obvious you love cars and you have a way with words when it comes to cars.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Edong t5 wrote:Excellent review. Best one I read, so far. I can imagine checking the car and driving it myself by the way you described how it looks and how it feels. Red (crimson?) looks nice from the pictures. Nice contrast to the cars chrome trim which brings out the red more. But thn again,red always looks nice in pictures. Reviewing cars is the coolest profession I could ever think off (well, second, next to reviewing applicants for Playboy Bunnies). You'd make an excellent reviewer. It's obvious you love cars and you have a way with words when it comes to cars.
Yes despite what people may see, I will admit that I am a good writer...

The main thing about a good reviewer is to analyze what it is, and not compare it to anything (unless its a comparision test)... I cant do that, i have to compare everything to my G50 Q45..

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

Excellent review Wes! You summed up exactly how I feel about driving this car whenever I do so. Too bad you didn't get to violate it alone

M3Racer
Car: 1999 Acura 3.2TL, BMW E46 M3 Convertible

Excellent review Wes.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Good Stuff™, Wes!

Z

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Nice review.

Are they selling a lot of new M's in the States?

I've only seen 3 on the road since it was launched. I suspect high gas prices are having an effect. See tons of G35's though.

szh

driverdriver wrote:Nice review.

Are they selling a lot of new M's in the States?
Oh, yes! Most definitely. I have the sales figures posted in threads ... see here for September for September, here for August and here for June/July.

The new M is doing very well - pretty much on par with the G35 Coupe and 350Z (well, I only exaggerate slightly! ), although less than the G35 overall.

Z

Peterofdevon
Car: 94T 70K, miss mannors, 96 Black on Black 72K, raw sex

Wes, wow great review...you and me must be clones.

I drove it last month and I was blown away. I like it better than my 1996 Porsche in EVERY way except looks

I have not found any other car I like other than my glove fitting 1st gen Qs...until now.

BTW, my 94 Q is so quite and smooth its spooky, and at 124K!!!!

Gosh I love these cars.

Peter91 Q Pearl93 Q Beige94 Q Dk. Blue (showroom interior)soon to be 2007 M45

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Great review wes!

I should really go talk my way into a test drive of one of these...Too bad I don't have a friggin' NICO business card...maybe I can pass a tagging card off as one...

Screw that. I'll just steal one and call it a day.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I gave him a NICO tagging card...

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Nice review Wes. I think you should do a review for each of the Infiniti models. How about your new title being "Official NICO Car Reviewer"?

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

That would be golden..... I think im gonna have some business cards made sometime...

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Damn, Wes you're quick.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

As you can see, i got this posting thing down.

szh

elwesso wrote:As you can see, i got this posting thing down.
Yes, indeed!

Z

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Great write up my friend!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”