the kids 240

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
MidgetTran
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

wowvery nice project. especially since i also have a black silvia. accept mine is a '95. but still. anywhoz. its great to watch a project like this unfold, please keep us updated. it took me 3 years to find and purchase my silvia. and now its gonna take even longer to save up the funds to fix her.

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

A little update. We ended up pulling the engine back out to install the clutch and trany.

We had the flywheel re-surfaced. Sprayed off all the fingerprints and put new clutch pad on with alignment tool.

Put the engine back in.

Holy cow , we got a five speed.Cam won a shift knob at a raffle last weekend at Slowmotion (our local tuner shop). Perfect timing. The raffle was for a great cause and the new knob looks great. We watched a few cars test on the dyno. There were mostly Honda's there but that seems to be the car of choice around here. A couple pulled over 550HP. Pretty impressive. There was a 300Z on the lift with a RB25 in it and a Skyline with RB26 so I think we might be able to "represent" next time. I was the oldest by about 15 or so years but a real good group of young men and women. I think they will be lots of fun to hang out with.

A few pointers for the trany/engine install. Remove shift lever and back plate on top of trany. You will need too much angle on the engine and it just slids in better. Also drain trany, or you will spill a little because of the angle. Keep the trany supported in the back with a floor jack but keep it lowered. Now you can put the shift lever and plate back on and raise trany and install crossmember.

***Getting back to the airconditioning compressor problem.***

Here is the problem.

The low side has a fixed end on it that cannot

The compressor on top has to be used because of the pully stack / belt alignment. The low and hight sides are not in the same place. The pully's are also not in the same place and the belts will never line up. The compressor lower mounting bolts are also staggered. The bracket on the engine cannot be swapped. So... everybody agree?!?!, If you want AC you have to use the SR compressor.

So I took the KA hose and spliced the SR end on it.I took the SR high side off the old hose and inserted it into the end of the KA hose.So here it is. All done. Problem is it does not have a low pressure service port. I am going to have to do over and include service port.

Does anybody now the P/N's to the JDM A/C system.The setup on the left is the JDM 96 S14 with left hand drive (with SR). The one on the right is the hoses I got with the SR engine. I think the left hand drive would work all the way from the firewall to the compressor to the condensor. That would be three lines (two low and one high). Just would like to see if it would be worth it.

ThuG LyFe
Car: 95 S14

awesome looks great so far.

i'm guessing you worked on cars before? cause you seem to know what you're doing lol. sorry i can't help you w/ ur AC problem but i guess that's why most ppl go no ac when they swap?

ddgsxr504
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE 2007 Infinit M35 Sport 2011 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition

Looking good, too bad you already hacked up the A/C lines and all.

zerothread?id=298648

240lookis
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

wow, this is looking great. i also wish my parents would take more interest in my car stuff.

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Wow, this is really cool.

My dad got me into cars at a very young age, though we had no money, so I learned to fix. Making things fast was something I had to learn all on my own. When I was 16 I was always begging to borrow his cars, now only a few years later he searches for excuses to borrow mine.

Keep the pictures coming, and keep up the good work.

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

Great project so far and good luck with the rest of the swap.

gold on gold yo
Car: 95' s14 se

awsome thread. all my dad ever says is that i need to focus on graduating college. pshh, keep up the good work pops.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

I am not very familiar with the proper way of doing this. Cam says I should just edit the first posting instead of replying to it and ending up at the end.?!?! Any ideas?

Anyway... We had a great day today. We got the trany fluid changed and the rear differential fluid changed. Both looked very clean but you never know. The drain plug on the trany was covered in fuzz as would be expected. No big chunks.

We started on the Clutch pedal. I purchased the kit from Heavy Throttle and everything was included and new OEM. I removed the lower panel under the steering wheel and found a computer in the way. We figured out it was for the automatic trany. That was removed and that gave us clear access to the firewall. The firewall has the visible cutouts on the inside once you remove the insulation.

We used a step drill here to get the holes started.

Here is what it looked from the forward side.

We placed a 1 1/2" hole cutter in place and as centered as we could get. We had to do a lot of hand filing on the mounting and center holes. We took our time and everything just fell in place. We did need to steel a bolt from the old engine to mount the aft pant of the pedal support. That was not included in the kit and I will update Jeff at Heavy Throttle.

Here Cam gets the pedal mount ready for install. The spring took a couple of attempts. Kinda weird how it works.

Now we had to get a little space between the clutch and brake pedal. Cam got busy with the dremel tool. He cut about 1 1/4" off the left side of the pedal. Too much OCC for me but he did do a good job.

This was how it turned out. Cam rounded the pedal corners and slid the rubber cover over so the finished side is on the clutch side. The cut side of the rubber is on the gas pedal side and does look a little more finished off.

OK Now we removed the exhaust manifold with the turbo and everything attached. We are getting ready for the exhaust system.

It would have been smarter to do this when the engine was out. We were going to keep the stock exhaust manifold but WTF! We are going with all new. So it only took about an hour and we had it on the table.

Looks like no FOD. Pretty clean.

I think we can add a little "bling" to this.

That's it for now. Gord

ThuG LyFe
Car: 95 S14

nice update!

i think you can keep replying to your thread with updates instead of updating the first page. maybe you can after it's allcompleted. nice to see it coming along!

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Noice! You guys are making progress fast. You'll have that thing up and driving in no time.

Be sure to keep us updated!

Bumnah
Car: 1992 240SX, black. Bone stock.

be careful installing the banjo bolts for the lines on the block. they cross thread easily.

use an exhaust manifold gasket from an 02 sentra with an sr20de. $20 and it's a 3 layer oem gasket. it's the best you can use.

i also installed lock washers when i reinstalled my oem manifold on the head.

if you're planning to run an egt gauge. now is the best time to drill into the manifold.

finalgear
Car: 91 240sx /90 240sx

This is great keep up the good work, it reminds me of when my mom and i (yes i said mom) worked on her austin mini race car when i was alot younger

MastaYu
Car: 92 240SX HB SE

its coming along very nicely

JDMZ32
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX, NA, slicktop, 5-speed, red

i'm a little late, but nice update.

gold on gold yo
Car: 95' s14 se

great build thread!

xX RB Xx
Car: SE3P, FC3S, FC3C.

nice porsche

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

We have been waiting around for some parts to arrive so things have been a little slow. But here are a few pictures of the stuff that did arrive.

We got the Megan exhaust manifold. Cam swapped the old manifold and lines.

Here is a picture of the new and old collector pipe that comes off the turbo.

It looks pretty cool when installed.

Here is shot of everything back on engine looking from bottom. You can see the steel braided lines hooked up instead of the rigid lines, You still end up using the banjo fitting on the oil line. The water lines are all new.

OK, fuel pump time

Open trunk, pull back carpet, loosen and remove pressure, return, and vent lines. Disconnect electrical connectors (fuel QTY and pump). Unscrew cap! Did not need any special tools, just like a new pickle jar, gotta eat your Wheaties!

Old pump

Standard Walbro 255lph kit comes with wrong pickup for S14. Newer S14 needed additional "package" with longer and different shaped pickup. Guess it only matters if you plan on needing fuel with less than 1/4 tank. Cam plans on running on "empty" all the time, so best get the correct pickup.

That should do it.

Don't forget the little metal thingy on end to secure the pickup.

Next was the radiator.

Jeff at Heavy Throttle set me up with this Mishimoto. Absolutely gorgeous! Quality welds and also has a drain on bottom. I used two sided tape to secure the foam to the sides. There was about an inch of space between the radiator and the A/C condenser. This should keep air going through the radiator instead of around it. You can see the foam in the space in this photo.

Also the Zirgo fan. I wired it up and installed the relay and temp sensor those photos will have to wait until next time. Beer time!

snake240
Car: 92 hatch SR20DET

sweet build guys. your a kick *** dad for sure. its really awesome to see the kid involved and motivated. my little brother would rather sit inside all day and do nothin.much respect.good luck

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Sweet! What do you guys plan on running intercooler wise?

spooled240
Car: kouki s14

props for an awesome build!!

keith0486

damn nice work you and your kid going to share it tho lol

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

We purchased a Precision intercooler. We are going to pull the front end off tomorrow and start on that.

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

keep it up guys

S13-Chuki

I keep telling him to pull his F*&#ing pants up

Just tell him it means easy access in jail he will start wearing belts.

MastaYu
Car: 92 240SX HB SE

^

White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

looks great. the brake pedal bugs me a little but not too bad. why not pop off the rubber brake pedal cover, cut the metal pedal and slip a manual trans brake pad cover on? no one would be able to tell the difference

spooled240
Car: kouki s14

how hard is it to change the brake pedal to a m/t one?

White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

^ its kinda a pita. its easiest and cleaniest to do it like i said

rsdans240sx
Car: 1990 240sx KA

ThuG LyFe wrote:great updates!

lol i guess ur kid is going thru the "gangster" phase with the pants but it's all natural i guess.
Dude if the pants were down anymore he would be going all natural...oh and to keep this on topic- Sick build reminds me of when my mom and I worked on cars.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”