The joys of tunning...

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

Well I spent the weekend trying to get my E-manage set up a little better, and playing with different spark plug combo's. For starters I was running NGK BCP6 plugs, with the gap set to around .028 and 15psi of boost. I was running stock timing and had the fuel curve kicked up about 18% above 6,000 (where the turbo really comes alive).

Well I decided to go to a cooler plug, since I had noticed signs of detonation a week before when I pulled the plugs (then I had a slight leak on my intake I think and the timing was advanced a few more degrees).

Anyhow when I got them out this time they looked fine, but I put the 7's in anyhow (1 heatrange cooler). The car basically ran like **** on them, above about 10psi it started backfiring and poping. So I took the gap down from .28 to .20 and it got better, but still not nearly as fast as with the 6's. So that night I ran it, had some issues with a line on my manifold blowing off while racing, but I still managed to beat a 12second turbo Z.

So I was starting to feel better about the car, when it started to backfire again.... and then to top it all off while I was at my freind's house the thing just died, it wasn't getting spark. It was like 2am at this time, and having just lost to a 14sec Fbody I was in no mood to figure out what was going on with my poor car, so I called it a night.

Next day it started just fine, then I swaped another set of 6 heatrange plugs into it and set everything back to where it was before. Then drove it and it was backfiring again, so I gapped the plugs down a bit more (because at 20psi it was blowing the flame out I think). This caused it to get a bit better, but not totally cleared up. So I started playing with the fuel maps, and ended up taking about 15% out above 5,000rpm.

Now she runs great, dosn't ping, and gets 28mpg highway again.

Now I get to look forwards to getting my cams set up next weekend.

I also managed to build a new intake pipe that dosn't leak, raise the redline to 8900rpm, and get rid of that pesky speed limiter that was bugging me in 3rd gear :)

All and all it's coming allong great, except the stock tranny just dosn't like to shift up around 9k RPM's..... and I don't have money for a new one just yet..... so I guess I'm just stuck to highway blast's in the upper 3 gears (from 50-100 the speedo spins as quick as the tach on a NA car in 2nd gear.... it's FAST).

anyhow, that's what's up with my project if anybody's interested

later,

Paul

controler

Clue me in on the ecu your running... It says Stage II chip, but is that a modified stocker or some sort of standalone like haltec.

Movingviolation240

Both actually, I have a modified chip and the Greddy Emanage, the greddy is basically "poor man's standalone" as it controls injector pulse, ignition, and has provisions for a MAP sensor. But it uses the factory ECU for all the other things, like idle air, cold start, ect. It takes some getting used too, and it dosn't quite have all the cool features of a haltech, but for the money I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Paul

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Paul no one wants to see your slow CA :D

Haggardized KA OWNZ JOO!

1991240xs

paul...i dun't care what nismo freak says..You're my hero!

slw240sx
Car: 1990 Ca18det 240sx Hatch

paul , how much is the e manage system im going to be looking into geting lookslikea240s ca, an its got a spark problemn, he thinks its the harness or some electrial problemn, would that system bypass the factory electrical stuff in say the ingition dept.... im sure the motor and all is good, but i havent seen how it was rewired in the install ,an it may need to be pulled and re installed to find the problemn but im up for the challenge

any ideas what might cause the spark problemn????

anyone

Movingviolation240

the Emanage would use most of the stock ignition system, your best bet if you don't want to mess around with it is to go standalone with a Haltech or an SDS

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

MV240, i have an E-manage as well but I only have the Japanese instructions. Could you hook me up with some photocopies of the English ones? Pleaseeeeee!

slw240sx
Car: 1990 Ca18det 240sx Hatch

did you sell lookslikea240 a chip? do you know for sure its good??

Movingviolation240

http://www.mkiv.com has the english instructions posted on their site in adobe format.

themadscientist

they had a lot of stuff but I didn't find the E-manage

themadscientist

found it found it!

for fellow idiots here it is;

http://mkiv.com/tmp/emanage/em....html

ST240
Car: RB30DET s13
01' Pathy

how would the Emanage compare to the PowerFC?

-Andre

themadscientist

The Power FC replaces the computer and is tuned with a hand held unit you buy seperately. The E-manage is tapped in ahead of the stock computer and adjusts the signals like a SAFC does.Both can change the settings for injectors and timing as well as taking out the factory limiters. The Power FC can control boost as well with an aditional boost control solenoid, the E-manage cannot. However the E-manage can run two subinjectors on top of controlling the factory ones and is cheaper than the Power FC.

PSI240SX
Car: Smoking V8's

"Tuning" not tunning. Hey Paul, how's life with your new girlfriend?

JDM_1990_S13

are you still having problems with the timing maps on the e manage paul or anyone else using the e manage??

Movingviolation240

I'm not using the timing harness on the Emanage, but my freind will when he installs it on his car next week... I'll keep you posted.

PaulOrlando, FL

themadscientist

you got a VPC on your car too? How well do they work together?

themadscientist

those are not "stand alone". A "stand alone" means it doesn't use the factory computer or wiring. Haltech, Motech, Electromotive, SDS, AEM these are stand alone systems. As to which one is better that is tough, they are all better than stock.

JDM_1990_S13

i think i am getting an Electromotive TEC 2 with crank trigger and coil packs, and go the whole hog, i have some spare cash aafter i bought all my hard bits for my engine. going to see it this afternoon, i'll let ya'll know how it goes.

>> Movingviolation240so what are you using for timing controll on higher boost etc??and waht about those rods meng, emial me, i am ready when you are.

themadscientist

They have a TEC3 now, might want to check that out.

JDM_1990_S13

i'm gettign the tec 2 from a honduh friend, he had it form a few years ago, it is like new thoug as he didn't knwo what he was doing with it and he took it out.. he wants $900 for everything (harness', sensors, trigger, coil packs, ecu and software).. so i'll take it, as the new tec 3 cost liek $2000 with everything.. wish someone could figure out the emanage problems... that seems soo cool and simple and i love the new GReddy E boost controller that works with the E-Manage and can tune the fule and ignition maps etc from in the car..

so paul what you using for your modified timing map, the stage 2 ECU ??? and how do you have controll over it??

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”