the holset vgt

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
240z4u
Car: '95 Nissan 240SX

What electronic wastegate?

Glad your taking the plunge. Let us know how it works out.

d356bud
Car: 1990 240sx w/ RB25DET

The one that I purchased has an electronic internal wastegate. I'll keep you guys informed on my progress. It shouldn't be that hard, I had a senior project in undergraduate school that was a lot more difficult than this. I just have to decide on an fpga or a microcomtroller.

WhatsADSM
Car: 1998 240sx

d356bud wrote:The one that I purchased has an electronic internal wastegate. I'll keep you guys informed on my progress. It shouldn't be that hard, I had a senior project in undergraduate school that was a lot more difficult than this. I just have to decide on an fpga or a microcomtroller.
Yea what do you mean electronic wastegate? I am assuming you are getting a new holset (IIRC the VE series) with the smart actuator (not wastegate). Do you have a link to the turbo you bought?

Also it is likely a lot more difficult than you are thinking. Moving bits around is easy. Reverse engineering the protocol, and/or taking over the mechanics of the stock actuator is not so easy.

Again, assuming you are getting a new holset (IIRC the VE series) but it really depends on what route you want to take... But here would be your options:

1) Create a simple controller, research/reverse the CAN interface. Interface your controller to the CAN. Command over motor/actuator position over CAN.2) Do some machining to get your own stepper/servo onto the stock gearing system and then have a simple controller to control your servo/stepper (which would likely need to be remotely mounted due to heat)3) Rip apart the stock PCB attach directly to the existing motor + encoder (I assume). Then you will need a complex BLDC servo controller but can use the stock motor.4) Something completely custom in the mechanics (and electronics) department that controls the actuation. Don't use any of the stock actuator.

d356bud
Car: 1990 240sx w/ RB25DET

I know, There probably will be a lot with this but I have plenty of time to work on it

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

Why not use a servo? I know r/c servos are cheap, can they can be controlled very easily as they have a simple 0-5v signal. Some are also very strong and cheap.

It can be remote mounted, and in a box as they do not like heat. I think a simple 3 d map would work perfectly. tps vs map vs rpm.

Obviously using the oem motor/controller would be ideal as its made to handle the temps, but it may not be worth the work if it can be replicated easily.

~Alex

240z4u
Car: '95 Nissan 240SX

You will need very high torque servo! I looked into the Delphi unit and was having trouble finding something of a reasonable size to control this thing.

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

Up from the depths...36 posts high...blazing fire!
Terror in the Sky!

ok... guess everybody gave up on this?

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”